Funny Story:

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Ok, so I was relaxing, playing Empires at War :)P) and this guys tells me that he got a new graphics card. I read the forum a lot here, so I was interested and asked him what card it was. He said, "It's nice, it's PCI-X." Ok, that's great. Lots of cards are. So I asked him what KIND of card it was, and he said, "It's ATI. It's dual core."

I blinked.

"Dual core?" I said, "I wasn't aware ATI made 'dual core' cards." I thought he was joking. I asked him if he meant that he had a 7950 GX2, which is two cards, but he said that it was ATI and "dual core". I told him that I was pretty sure that the last card that had two "cores" on one board was the Voodoo2. I think it was... But he said, "No, it's dual core. It's a prototype ATI card. I work for ATI" So now I know he's talking $#!t.

So I asked him about the card. He said it was "dual core" again and also that it was "a dual card" system, whatever that means. He said that he had 700 FPS with the card at the moment and that it was running his "plasma TV". Omg, right. He also said that it was running the *fastest* video memory ATI had. When I asked him the type, he said it was DDR3. Not GDDR4. I asked him how the card worked since it evidently was not released to the public and games like EaW would not have patches for "dual core" cards. He told me that he personally developed the card and that he made the drivers himself. I asked him what version of Catalyst he "made" and he said it was version 4.1.

Long story short, he was full of crap.

It was hilarious, though. I haven't laughed so hard at someone's expense in a while.
-cm

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
He had the opportunity to proclaim his bogosity at any time, I wouldn't say it was at his expense. Still, he knew a thing or two about hardware, as he didn't miss a beat answering your BS meter questions.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
you know, i've been known to say some pretty retarded things before (around my group of friends, im the smart ass or clown...whatever you wanna call me) but honestly, that is the MOST RETARDED thing ever.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Yeah, but I asked him if he meant Crossfire, and he said, no it was one card.

I forgot to tell you he made up a line of cards called "Geophysics" cards and claimed that he had one. The list of BS is wrong.
-cm

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
OMG, man. It has nothing to do with my smartness. He said he works for ATI developing graphics cards but knows NOTHING ABOUT THEM. How dumb do you have to be to believe him?!?! He's just throwing around terms that apply to CPUs or other parts of different GPUs.

Well, it's still a funny story. :lol:
-cm

still_life

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
He's not making it up!! He's clearly from the future, playing and R700 Dual core graphix card in quad crossfire with a physix processor for each core and 1024mb of GDDR7 memory for each GPU.

Drool...