Overclocking Asus P5N32-E SLI

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Still not too much info about this board available, so maybe someone here has already made some experiments?

I got my board running yesterday with the config:

-Asus P5N32-E SLI
-Mushkin 2048MB Kit XP2-6400 Extreme Performance (4-4-3-10)
-Seasonic M12-700
-Sparkle 8800GTS
-E6600 with stock cooler

I got everything fired up with default settings, i.e. the memory is compatible with the board.

I'm still waiting for the CPU cooler, so no major OC for CPU yet.

I found also this thread:

-http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123227

Having very much similar config the guy seems to be able to get insane numbers out of that memory. With fairly quick testing I can reach:

-900 4-4-3-8 TRC3 T1 2.45v
-1100 5-4-4-12 TRC6 T2 2.45v

Superpi results are almost the same with both settings. These with unlinked memory, fsb is still running stock. Nice feature.

I'm now running BIOS 0302, but 0405 is available, and should fix memory performance problems and give better overclockability. Has anyone tried this yet, and how did you flash it? Some people are having issues flashing in Windows, is this just a user error?

About the CPU cooler, I was considering Tuniq Tower once it is in stock somewhere here. However, I think I need to spend some time to check the airflow of it. The motherboard seems to be designed for the airflow of the stock cooler, i.e. the heatpipes and coolers need the air from the CPU cooler.

G

I would suggest the tuniq and some form of active cooling for at least the NorthBridge. I suggest you touch the Northbrige, really quickly, even with the stock cooler see for your self how hot it is!

And you would be much better of with OCing the CPU and less the ram =).

No experience yet, just reading some

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Yeah, I agree with you. I'm now running ~3GHz CPU, but before the cooler that's about it, the temps are getting a bit too high for my taste. So that leaves the memory to tweak =)

Anyone with recommendations for the NB cooling, please let me know. Also considering to replace the thermal paste with AC5 to SB and NB.

G

Apparently you can screw a 40mm fan directly on the northbridge(screw it in the fins...)

I would suggest the tuniq as it is in stock and active cooling on the NB and possibly the VRM's

As for max performance, apparently when you get to 424mhz(DDR848) the board changes it strap settings. So you either need to stay under that or get a higher OC by a good margin.

ThreeNF

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I'm using the same board and chip, but have the Corsair XMS PC-6400 RAM (4-4-4-12).

I'm using a Thermalright Ultra-120 coller and currently have it overclocked to 3.15 GHz. I have Vcore set to 1.45, which seems kinda high, but any lower than that and it isn't stable ...

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I have Vcore set to 1.45, which seems kinda high, but any lower than that and it isn't stable ...

What are you using to measure that 1.45? I seem to have very different values in BIOS and PC Probe II. For example what ever I do, PC Probe reports vcore 1.38v. 1.2, auto, anything in BIOS (0405). CPU-Z shows now 1.264v and 9.0x325=2925MHz. Still stock cooler, so I just keep it here for now.

Have you considered cooling northbridge? I would like to avoid those 40mm fans, but might be the only way to go.

ThreeNF

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I have Vcore set to 1.45, which seems kinda high, but any lower than that and it isn't stable ...

What are you using to measure that 1.45? I seem to have very different values in BIOS and PC Probe II. For example what ever I do, PC Probe reports vcore 1.38v. 1.2, auto, anything in BIOS (0405). CPU-Z shows now 1.264v and 9.0x325=2925MHz. Still stock cooler, so I just keep it here for now.

Have you considered cooling northbridge? I would like to avoid those 40mm fans, but might be the only way to go.

I'm going by the value listed in the BIOS, as I assumed it was more correct :) CPU-Z does show a lower value, as well as that Asus AI utility - which I don't care much for.

Is there a utility that can give accurate voltages?

As for cooling the northbridge, I have not considered that ... at least not yet :)

G

this board apparently under volt by a fair margin, the reading in Asus Probe is the more accurate one

ThreeNF

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
this board apparently under volt by a fair margin, the reading in Asus Probe is the more accurate one

Interesting :0 With PC Probe II, it gives me a reading of 1.34 for Vcore. It also tells me that my CPU temp is 40C. However, if I use the program called CoreTemp, it tells me 50C!

NB Core is at 1.54V and DDR2 Term is 1.09 ... hmmm.

ThreeNF

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006

I updated to BIOS 0405 and now I noticed that PC Probe does report a vCore of 1.38, no matter what I set in the BIOS. However, I had the SLI Ready Memory enabled. If I turn that off, then PC Probe seems to report the vCore I would expect. Weird ...

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I updated to BIOS 0405 and now I noticed that PC Probe does report a vCore of 1.38, no matter what I set in the BIOS. However, I had the SLI Ready Memory enabled. If I turn that off, then PC Probe seems to report the vCore I would expect. Weird ...

I have SLI Ready Memory disabled, and still get that 1.38v. Well, seems that there is something strange going on with that. Waiting for the next BIOS...

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
With PC Probe II, it gives me a reading of 1.34 for Vcore. It also tells me that my CPU temp is 40C. However, if I use the program called CoreTemp, it tells me 50C!

I had huge difference as well. Probe, CPU-Z, CoreTemp all give totally different values. One of those reported my CPU fan speed to ~68000 or something as well. I think we have to wait for a moment to get the apps to support this board. Would be nice to know if any of them is correct. I kinda thought Probe would be accurate, but this vcore thingy makes me wonder.

G

Weird indeed.

I would use TAT from intel, reported to be on of the most precise one.
I think Core temp is precise too.

I don't remember where but I read that the board undervolt by as much as .1v in some case. I will quote/link if/when I find it =)

G

Asus 680i Pros: (non Striker board)

Great Vdimm option.

All voltages except Vcore Overvolt, so you get alittle more voltage when you need it, which is better then undervolting as far as I am concerned.
Great Memory Overclocking options and stability. Far Higher then the P5B Deluxe, and the P5WDH isnt even a comparison for this board when it comes to Memory Overclocks.

Certainly capable of 500+ FSB's.

Great Stability.

Great Ability to recover from a failed OC, about 90% of the time you can recover from a failed OC just by resetting and waiting a few seconds.
sometimes you can recover by powering down and powering up.
rarely you will still have to clear the CMOS though.

Cas Latencies all go as low as 1, so theres no limit on how much you can tweak your latency.

1T is very OC friendly on this board.

1200 mhz is very easy with this board.

Asus 680i Cons:

Horrible Vcore options. 1.6 max from bios gets you 1.47 volts tops. Needs a Vcore Mod Real badly.

Chipset voltages go all the way to 2.75 volts, but nothing above 1.6 volts will boot.

high learning curve will definatly get alot of people posting "my board cant do 500 FSB"... not cause the board can't, but cause they dont take the time to figure out the board. it's definatly a board for the advanced types.

runs VERY HOT. Fans are a must. chipset seriously burned me when I touched it. not just warm, painful burned me. This board absolutly needs better cooling, and I now see why theres all them heatpipes on the striker extreme, 100% absolutly needs better cooling for the NB and PWM's.

Very High Price...

There I stumbled back on it =)