FX-62 Build

bobfan

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
You could say I am an AMD Fanboy, I won't mind, but AMD is what I have used in the passed and I am more knowlegdable about their products, so that is why I am looking at the FX-62.

FX-62 AMD AM2 @2.8
Foxconn 590 SLI
Corsair XMS2 Dominator 2 x 1024mb
EVGA Super Overclocked 7950GT (waiting for 8900 and Vista to settle down)
Thermaltake Armor w/ 25cm fan
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750watt PSU
and of course (1)optical and (3)hard drives by lite on and seagate.

Total is $2100 which is my budget. This needs to last me for a few years like the computer in my signature.

I am looking for opinions, products to stay away from, something better, etc. Bought a new Viewsonic E90fb Monitor and I'm in love :D I mainly game at 1024 by 768 and have no plans on changing. Thanks for any help.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
FX-62???

Have you ever heard of overclocking ???
What a waste of money!

Buy a mid range CPU and if you need more then overclock!

sailer

Splendid
The only things I would change would be the motherboard; either getting a DFI or an ASUS Crosshair, and maybe getting a 850wt psu if you plan to go SLI. Other than that, it looks good to me.

Some people will tell you to get an Intel C2D instead, but remember that the cpu is your choice, not anyone else's and if you want AMD, then you want AMD. After all, its your money and your computer, not someone else's.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
You're buying an overpriced CPU, GPU and RAM...? With Intel, you could get a faster build for half the price.

Yeah but he already stated he is a die hard amd fanboi! :lol:I'm curious why he bothered posting then? People generally come here for advice, but he's coming to brag about his overpriced piece of hardware.

Quote:I am looking for opinions, products to stay away from, something better, etc. Bought a new Viewsonic E90fb Monitor and I'm in love I mainly game at 1024 by 768 and have no plans on changing. Thanks for any help. Its not just about the cpu,or the monitor

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
FX-62???

Have you ever heard of overclocking ???
What a waste of money!

Buy a mid range CPU and if you need more then overclock!

overclocking isnt always a sure thing.

My x2 3800 runs at 2.7GHz on my ASUS A8R32-MVP. I dont think there is an athlon 64 that wont overclock to 2.4-2.5GHz with a proper mobo.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
...I am looking for opinions, products to stay away from, something better, etc...
Stay away from the FX62 and the 7950GT.
Run towards Intel Conroe and your choice of NVidia 8800.
There are very good reasons why your choices are, a , non-optimal. :roll:

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
You're buying an overpriced CPU, GPU and RAM...? With Intel, you could get a faster build for half the price.

Yeah but he already stated he is a die hard amd fanboi! :lol:I'm curious why he bothered posting then? People generally come here for advice, but he's coming to brag about his overpriced piece of hardware.

I sense the dreaded "E-PENIS!"

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
True. However, regardless of whether he's an AMD fanboi or not, he's blowing almost $1,000 more than he needs to on components to game at 1024 rez. Why an FX-62? He could get an X2 3800, even if Intel smokes it. If he wants AMD, then go AMD.....it's his money to waste I guess.

Advice:
-your wasting soooooo much money on those components. ALOT. Get a cheaper chip, cheaper vid card, cheaper PSU, and cheaper RAM. Actually, just about everything can be lower end by ALOT.
-with the money you save, get an Nvidia 8800 series card. Seriously.

Sorry to say, but the irony is that for your budget, you can get an Intel system and DX10 card that will destroy what you're showing. But if you want AMD, then go ahead. But I'd caution against wasting that much money. If you're serious about blowing that money, you could always donate it to me, I'll put it to much better use ;)

LOL :)

Good luck.

You could say I am an AMD Fanboy, I won't mind, but AMD is what I have used in the passed and I am more knowlegdable about their products, so that is why I am looking at the FX-62.

FX-62 AMD AM2 @2.8
Foxconn 590 SLI

Total is $2100 which is my budget. This needs to last me for a few years like the computer in my signature.

I am looking for opinions, products to stay away from, something better, etc. Bought a new Viewsonic E90fb Monitor and I'm in love :D I mainly game at 1024 by 768 and have no plans on changing. Thanks for any help.
If thats what you want, go ahead. But you should look at the X1950XTX instead.

jessewmc

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
If you're going to go with AMD, you are much better off with a cheaper processor. The FX-62 is a waste of money compared to Core2s and cheaper AMD processors. Get an X2, a 3800+ is a nice spot to sit at, 5000+ are pretty nice.

Just in case you're not completely set on amd, and just in case you haven't heard, an E6600 core 2 will destroy that processor for much less money (by destroy I mean on the order of 30%--if you're really that unfamiliar with intel's products, do some reading theres an excess of information on their new processors, which are not to be confused with netburst crap).

The ram is as people have mentioned overkill. Get something cheaper--twinx pc6400 corsair ram is about as expensive as I'd go, but its solid stuff even if you want to overclock.

The video card is also not a good buy, especially for such low resolutions. 7900GTs nearly match or exceed (depending on any factory overclocking) 7950 performance in directx9 games for much cheaper. (512mb of memory provides almost no gains.) If you're going to wait for a dx10 card, get something WAY cheaper now like a 7900gs or 7600gt or an ati x1950 pro. I would not, however, recommend an 8800 even if you ditch the expensive processor because at 1024 they are overkill and cheaper cards can keep up with them--check some benchmarks here or wherever. The 8800 shows its strength at higher resolutions. Wait and get a more mainstream dx10 card later.

Also, why SLI? The performance gains are minimal in most cases and it introduces extra compatibility issues and ridiculous heat/power requirements. Unless you bought the motherboard for other features, you could almost certainly get away with cheaper without SLI support, and it doesn't even sound like you planned on using it.

jesse

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Yes, that's why HE CAME ASKING FOR ADVICE.
He posted his desired system's specs so the people could evaluate them and give him tips, not to brag about them.
Those instead are the guys who post their OC C2D specs in their signatures.
And here people were already starting to feel -pardon- sense the "ePENIS"... :roll:

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006

I think you are Stupid.

pat

Expert

FX-62 AMD AM2 @2.8
Foxconn 590 SLI

There is nothing wrong going with AMD, But, at this point, I would rather get a 4600+ or a 5000+X2 rather than the FX. I would also have a look at the Asus M2R32 motherboard. ATI chipset is very fast and run cooler than Nvidia one. The choice of memory is good. with the money you saved going with the lesser CPU, you could get a 8800 now instead of the 7950.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
FX-62 AMD AM2 @2.8
Foxconn 590 SLI

If you only want to play at 10x7 then you are wasting your money, you dont need a $2100 PC to do that.

The FX-62 is also a waste of money for the performance it offers. Games are far more dependant on the Video card than the CPU, and even if you wanted to stay AMD, an X2 3800 or 4200 and an 8800GTS/GTX would offer much more performance for around the same cost overall.

You could even go for an e6600 and an 8800GTX for a similar cost and get much better performance than the FX-62, but if you really don't want to go Intel then that's up to you.

For the record, up until C2D I was a die hard AMD fan. All my PCs were AMD based, from Durons to Athlon XPs to Athlon X2s, going all the way back to my old K6-2 300. C2D is just better, and there is no question of that.

Its unfortunate but right now AMD have nothing that can compete.

Anyway, a cheaper CPU, be it Intel or AMD, and an 8800 would perform better. I have an 8800GTX myself and although I probably wont be using DX10 for a year or more, I love running games at 1600x1200 with 16x FSAA and no lag whatsoever :) Fable: The Lost Chapters is like a whole new game compared to when I played it on my old 5950 Ultra :D My Gfx card prior to the 8800GTX was a 7900GT @ 740/1400, and the 8800GTX is massively better.

If you are still determined that 10x7 is fine though, I'd recommend an X2 3800 and a Geforce 6600GT. Save some more cash and get a S939 one and reuse your DDR1 RAM, there is just no point in anything more for 10x7.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I don't quite agree about the video card and resolution.
IMO, you don't need to play at insanely high resolutions to need a high end card; if you want to have a lot of eye candy, even at low resolution, you need a card which packs a lot of shader power (see for example Oblivion).
And since he wants his computer to last for a few years, i'd recommend him to go for an 8800 at all costs. (maybe a GTS would be enough for his monitor's resolution)
And yes of course i'd suggest him to get a C2D.. with his budget, an E6600 is the one which probably makes most sense.

I'm not to sure about everyone just up and recommending the 8800. Its a unstable card in my humble opinion. I'd wait till the second batch of DX10 cards come out to really make the jump. But thats just my worthless, under appreciated opinion.