Power Supply testing tools

gthsii

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Hey all,
I recently purchased a nVidia 7600 GS AGP card. It replaced a 6800 I had in one of my systems. I have a 350W power supply. I installed the new card and all was fine for a few days. I recently rebooted my box and the nVidia software popped up a window that indicated that the card was not receiving sufficient power and that it was going to disable features so as to avoid harming my system. I checked all power connections in the box and they all seemed seated just fine. I went out and purchased a 500W power supply and installed it. I am still getting the same error message. I have 3 harddrives, a DVD drive, the graphics card and a PCI based USB/Firewire card that directly draw power from the power supply. I am quiet surprised that I am still getting the error message. I'm going to do some further testing (i.e. disconnecting peripherals to see if the message goes away).

So I guess my questions are:
1. Is there any applications that report on the load of the power supply?
2. Do I have a defective graphics card?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
GT Smith

Additional note: I ran through the PSU calculator on this site and it calculated my requirements at 254 watts (I overloaded on a few things to be safe)

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Have you installed the latest drivers for your new graphics card?

Maybe something in your setup thinks the old one is still in there!

Use the mfrs. website. :)

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Just like BGP_Spook hints... It's possible the old PSU "wore down" to the critical point where it wasn't supplying enough juice, which triggered the alarm, and it's also possible the new "500"W PSU is one of "those" PSUs that couldn't supply its rated wattage to save its life, also leading to the same alarm.

Is it possible to borrow a good PSU? One you know is good? At least 500W and of a reputable brand; Seasonic, Antec, OCZ, Zalman (etc etc)

If you still get the error with one of those puppies, then it's definitely your graphics card.

gthsii

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks for all the replies. The old PSU is a MadDog 350W manufactured may 2005, the current one is a CompUSA unit. I disconnected my PCI USB/Firewire card and left everything else connected and I dont get the alarm any more. odd thing is I didn't even have anything connected to the card before, does it draw its full power even if no peripherals are connected?

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Thanks for all the replies. The old PSU is a MadDog 350W manufactured may 2005, the current one is a CompUSA unit. I disconnected my PCI USB/Firewire card and left everything else connected and I dont get the alarm any more. odd thing is I didn't even have anything connected to the card before, does it draw its full power even if no peripherals are connected?

It shouldn't, but it depends....

Glade you aren't getting the alarm anymore but we still haven't solved the problem.

A year and a half shouldn't be the undoing of a PSU.

Perhaps the most critical question about the # of amps on the +12 volt line.

The information should be on a sticker or etching on the power supply.