Reinstalling FAT32/NTSF file

Carol

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
I am not sure if I am posting my problem in the correct sections.

I have a Seagate 300 gig external hard drive that lost its FAT32/NTSF system file. HELP!!! How do I reinstall it???? I am very inexperienced working with system files. None of the data recovery software packages or services I have looked into say anything about being able to install the FAT32/NTSF files.

When I try to open a file on the drive I received this message THE FILE OR DIRECTORY IS CORRUPTED AND UNREADABLE. Seagate's phone tech support walked me through a very basic drive check and determined that FAT32/NTSF was no longer on the drive.

I had transferred photographs from my Laptops hard drive to this external hard drive that I use for backup. I selecting the photos in a folder on the laptop and dragged them to a folder on the external hard drive. I have done it this way hundreds of times without problem. When I tried to open one of the pictures the next morning I was unable too.

Any help would be very appreciated.

ThunderGodThor

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Best way to say it you are f***ed. You need to get with a data recovry compainy and see what they can do for u. Get ready to spend some serious cash if ytou really need that data. Some one will be a long some time and can expalain why better then i can.

The file system on the external drive is screwed. The only way to really recover the data is to go through a company that specializes in data recovery. Like thunder said, be prepared to spend some serious cash if you really need the data back.

Carol

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
The information consists of memories that cannot be replaced, so it is very important me. I realize I will have to spend money, the most important thing is to be able to retrieve the photos. There were hundreds of hits for data restoration when I Googled it, can anyone recommend a reputable one? The sites I looked at gave no information about being able to reinstall FAT32/NTSF files, which is why I posted here.

Thank you for your help!

File systems are very difficult to repair. The recovery company you choose will simply recover the photos and any other data you want, and then format the drive and put the data back.

Unfortunately, having never had to deal with data recovery companies, i'm not exactly qualified to make any recommendations.