Hello folks, can this PC be sold for 400 bucks?

chosenbkr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I just build my second PC, this time with an old IBM desktop.

It's a 733 MHZ Pent. 3 Slot 1 system. Also with 256 SRAM which off sets the slower CPU.

I added a 80 GIG hard drive
Mid Tower with LED lights
Modem Card
Case fan for the heatsink
New software upgrade, including OS, MS Office, etc

The Case wiring was tricky along with certain BIOS configurations I had to modify and turn off. One example is a security asset chip set by IBM.

The MOFO headers isn't named and doesn't look like the headers we all know and appreciate. So, I was fortunate to have the Case lights working, but the power and reset do the same thing. I didn't want to risk disconnecting the wiring from it's connector leading to a similiar situation of soldering or terminal stripping, so I won't bother changing them again.

I was wondering, given what I have done and just making the old gal active, and looking newer with the new Mid Tower case, can she be sold for about 400 bucks including OS, software, montior, keyboard, mouse, and speakers?

This is the case image:

Thanks for any input.

PC Case

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
To anyone who knows anything about PCs, $20. To some braindead n00b wannabee geek out of your local newspaper classified, $250. It also all depends on what the monitor is. 15" CRT? $5. 19" LED, whole different story. And when you say that you're selling the software, is that just installed on the HD or complete with original COAs, etc.

Still... yeah. $20.

chosenbkr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks for the confidence from one tech to another....

I don't sell software; I include it. I have ethics. I wouldn't ask anyone what case nor components to buy. But, I value experience techs and PC supporters advice and input.

Nothing PC build will be worth 20 dollars from me. I carefully took a specific IBM desktop, that most techs would have given up on, and transformed it into something special, all without mistake. I am proud of what I did and will build upon it.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Thanks for the confidence from one tech to another....

I don't sell software; I include it. I have ethics. I wouldn't ask anyone what case nor components to buy. But, I value experience techs and PC supporters advice and input.

Nothing PC build will be worth 20 dollars from me. I carefully took a specific IBM desktop, that most techs would have given up on, and transformed it into something special, all without mistake. I am proud of what I did and will build upon it.

Would you respect any of us if we blew thermal atmosphere up your rectum? The prob is that you started with a CPU that is so prehistoric it doesn't even qualify as obsolete but historical.

Look, there's a sucker born every minute and you might find some guy who just came back from his alien abduction and hand you $2000 for it. But bottom line, in the real market... $20.

P.S. I'm a bit worried about your line:

"I don't sell software; I include it. I have ethics. "

Er... am I misreading that or are you saying that you have ethics because you illegally include pirated copies of major sw on your builds? :?

chosenbkr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
No they are not, but considering the new mid tower case is upgradeable I would say, I did a good job.

Besides, PC's are not in every home. This would be a nice starter for any child or beginner.

Pent. 3 runs fast and has the standard sized RAM in 256 MB. You folks seem to want super computers rolled up in a PC. I have the confidence that I am on my way into being something special. Building this and hopefully selling it, will be a plus.

chosenbkr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Pirated... Interesting. Given that ALL qualitied techs out here sell UPGRADES. Guess what? This is what I am selling. In a retail store they would charge extra for software. Don't assume; it makes you look unstable.

The MOFO is still a micro ATX, still in very good condition. The Pent. 3 is still in very good condition. Everything else is new. If you don't have anything positive to type, please don't comment because I am not going to let you get me down. I know you may have given up but I didn't. I took the risk and I'm proud of myself.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Pirated... Interesting. Given that ALL qualitied techs out here sell UPGRADES. Guess what? This is what I am selling.

Look, it's really simple. Are you selling original software with all appropriate documentation and original media? Yes, then you're legal. No, then you're illegal. There is no gray area. Doesn't matter if you live inside the Pirate Bay and everybody's doing it. Illegal is illegal. End of story.

Now, please note that:

DELL DIMENSION 5150, P4 2.8, 512MB, 160GB, DVDRW, XP HOME. 19" LED.

Recently selling on their website at $399. Brand new, warranty, legal XP, etc.

Yeah, I'd definitely buy your POS for an extra buck. :lol:

Orac

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
I just build my second PC, this time with an old IBM desktop.
It's a 733 MHZ Pent. 3 Slot 1 system. Also with 256 SRAM which off sets the slower CPU.
Modem Card

PC Case

I have to agree about the cpu being past it's time. Any $299 closeout special will speed past the 733mhz. Give it to someone that can't afford a $299 closeout.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Modem Card
For $400? Only if you feel good about ripping off the mentally retarded. I just currently built a PC out of some spare parts and I plan on selling for $500-$600.

Athlon 3700+
1gig PC3200
DL DVD burner
160 SataII hard drive
All in a pretty slick micro ATX case.

Go check ebay to see what similar systems are going for. I'd say maybe 50 for your's, only because of the HD.

DennyCraneBL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
The only way you'd ever get $400 for that, is it the Smithsonian wanted to showcase pre-historic processors.

Wether it might be useful to someone or not ... it isn't worth anything like that.

For $400, you can get a totally new computer from Dell or somebody else with a processor made this side of the millenium - and have even the slight chance of being able to play a game other than Pacman, heck thats more useful for a kid.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
For $400? Only if you feel good about ripping off the mentally retarded.

Hey, where are the next Special Olympics skedded? Maybe we can set up a PC booth outside the stadium!

OK OK JUST KIDDIN DON'T EVERYBODY FLAME ME FOR BEING AN A-HOLE ABOUT THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS! :lol:

chosenbkr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Leave me alone. I'm not getting into a debate about pirating. I hate people
like you who feel insulting others and making them feel bad is needed.

Dont comment any longer toward any of my post! I would never treat an inexperience tech like crap no matter what he or she is selling.

runswindows95

Distinguished
I can find that kind of system for free. Pentium 3 systems are being tossed all the time. Again, IF the monitor is a good sized CRT (19"+) or an LCD, then you might get $200 for it. After that, forget $400. NEW systems with monitors sell for that much.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006

Dont comment any longer toward any of my post! I would never treat an inexperience tech like crap no matter what he or she is selling.

So you're admitting you're pirating software? You don't wanna get into a debate about it? Fine. Stop pirating software. Not that hard!

Being an inexperienced tech is one thing. Being an inexperienced tech who crams a bunch of illegal stolen software onto a museum PC and tries to get people from this forum into agreeing that it's ethical, legitimate and worth more than a new Dell 5150 with legal OS is just MORONIC.

Sorry I've been so hard on you, but you need to learn sometime.

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
well if you are happy with this build then good for you ..... but the reality is that it's such an old system nobody will buy it at 400$. I will not go as low as 20$ but it's not worth more than 50$ that's for sure!

and as for wanting only positive comments on that build, you are definitely not at the right place because in this forum people ACTUALLY KNOW COMPUTERS and what they are worth so bottom line is if you're not ready for ALL comments DON'T ASK for them.

Do a little research and you will find that you can actually buy a BRAND NEW system for roughly the same price you wanna sell your dinosaur (yes it's that old) of a computer ..... nice for a guy who says to have ethics. How ethical is it to try and screw some poor sucker out of 400$ for a 7,8 years old computer when he could get a new one for the same price ???

DennyCraneBL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006

Why on earth would you post on a forum about it?

You expect us to blow sunshine up your ass for being an embarrassment to system builders everywhere, and screwing people out of their money - and being proud of it, claiming your greatness on a forum?

It is needed, we need to get people like you away from civilization and back in to a cave where your only choice is to screw your fellow scumbags.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
To put it in perspective I couldn't even get garage sale people (90% of which are computer idiots) to buy this rig:

Duron 1Ghz, 768MB Ram, TNT2 Ultra Video Card, Sound Blaster PCI, 52X CD drive, 160GB ATA HDD, Keyboard/Mouse, speakers. Ubuntu installed and running.

I even had it set up and running for people to play with.

I had it out for $100, really only wanted $75.00 for it, and no one bought it.

It's now a web server in my garage. :)

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
looool. this thread made my day.Can't stop laughing. This is better than watching "friends" on tv! Keep it up! He's very proud of it! hahahaahahaha.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Well, it's too bad. I mean he's definitely a little on the new side, but I hate when ppl get made to feel stupid on here. we were all n00bs at one point, weren't we?

N00b is one thing. Crook is another. Let's leave out of the debate whether the POS is worth even a tiny fraction of his asking price. But this particular n00b was trying to defend his "ethics" in selling pirated software.

I figure he got off easy. He could have gotten a jail sentence! :D