Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Orientation

Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2006 4:05:57 PM

Are there any negative affects of placing a hard drive with the platters vertically versus the nomral horizontal position found in computer cases?

More about : hard drive orientation

December 10, 2006 4:57:12 PM

this has been asked before... the general opinion was that it does not matter, however, some said it's best to at least have one of the set of faces aligned with the ground...

Topic: "mounting a hard disk upside down"

Ara
December 11, 2006 2:43:21 AM

The comprehensive reply is "doesn't matter" with a caveat.

You should place the hd vertically BEFORE you format it.

Good practice is to always format a drive in it's permanent position.
Related resources
December 11, 2006 2:52:42 AM

Quote:
You should place the hd vertically BEFORE you format it.

Good practice is to always format a drive in it's permanent position.

That is very interesting. Why would it matter how the drive is formatted?
a b G Storage
December 12, 2006 9:57:14 PM

It wouldn't matter.

To the original question... in theory it would be better to mount the drive horizontally instead of vertically. The thinking being that it's easier on the drive heads.... less wear on the drive heads having to move side to side, rather than up and down.
December 12, 2006 10:22:19 PM

Logically that makes sense, but then again in many rack-mounted servers / SANs / blade servers the disks are vertical - so it can't be that bad for them!
December 12, 2006 11:35:41 PM

I concur. I've installed and formatted disks in every position imaginable...never with any adverse effects. Even upside down! So I would say it's positioning is largely irrelevant.

-The String
a b G Storage
December 13, 2006 2:35:51 AM

Quote:
Logically that makes sense, but then again in many rack-mounted servers / SANs / blade servers the disks are vertical - so it can't be that bad for them!

Quote:
I concur. I've installed and formatted disks in every position imaginable...never with any adverse effects. Even upside down! So I would say it's positioning is largely irrelevant.

-The String

That's why I started with "in theory"... but your points are taken.
December 13, 2006 10:36:45 PM

Although we agree any orientation is "possible".... is there an optimal preformance orientation???
a b G Storage
December 13, 2006 11:07:13 PM

Again, I don't think it really matters, but logically I would assume horizontal would be better if it actually makes any difference at all.
January 28, 2010 6:19:11 PM

I'm an older man; and here is my thought based on 31 years in electronics: 1- It does matter vertical or horizontal; But: 2- to know exactly which way: you have to open one drive of they type you want to use for long term and study all the ElectroMECHANICAL components and effects. Just to give u a simple confusing; if horizontal is better for gravity point of view; then you should know that many pallaters have arms under the plate also; so good for one side, bad for the other, ... and so on.
Sot to enjoy your time better; Please hop over to http://www.helpingfun.com and give a free token to a hungary child. Enjoy your life as you have it and don't reduce others' life's enjoyment. thanks.
!