Help please with exchange problems!

court

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004
So, I was asked to create a website for a client which I did. Then I was asked to sign up for a host to host it using a specific domain that they had registered with godaddy quite a while ago. For the sake of this, we will say it was poly.com.

So, I signed up with midphase hosting (very good) and added poly.com as an addon domain. I then changed the godaddy nameservers to point to midphase. Here is where the probelsm begin.

As soon as the nameservers changed, the website started to work and I then found out that the office of my client was using poly.com as their in-office domain and for their server. The server is using windows server 2003 and they are using exchange.

As you can imagine, their email stopped working. This is the problem I am having, they need their email to work. So far, email is using exchange that is running on their server using the domain poly.com. I had midphase change the A record and MX to point to the static ip of the server here in the office, but the email is still not working.

Does anyone know how to fix their email? I apologize for any spelling errors, this is my last day here and I am in a hurry.

Court

Scene

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
i believe only the mx record should point to your company's ip-address.
i'm not sure tho..not very familair with this

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you have the website hosted offsite and email hosted onsite you could just create two hosts for the domain. For example, www and mail.
www.poly.com could point to the offsite webserver's ip
mail.poly.com could point to the onsite mail server

Point the MX record to mail.poly.com and you should be all set.

Make sure the IP you point mail.poly.com to is an external IP and if it is behind a router that port 25 is forwarded to the server for smtp.