Sign in with
Your question

New system up and running. Need a bit of help with bios

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2006 5:08:07 PM

Hello everyone.

First I want to say thanks to all those out there that help with some of our noobish questions when it comes to system builds. Up until this system I am on now, my last build was an 800mhz P3. So a lot has changed for me.

I did a lot of research on Tomshardware and Newegg and now have a system that is not years and years behind the times. Using guides and these forums I have it up and running for about a month now.

general specs...

Core 2 duo 6400 (Stock HS/F)
EVGA Nvidia nforce 680i mobo
2 gigs 800mhz Buffalo Firestix (Not bad ram and #1 in Japan according to the package. And I needed to save a bit of money.)
EVGA Nvidia 8800GTS (I wanted the GTX but just could not afford it.)
600W psu
40 Gig WD sata HD (Will be adding a second HD once Christmas is over)

I have never really played around with the BIOS and I am not even sure what I should check and/or change to make sure my system is going as fast as it can.

I am running on the stock heatsink/fan. Case is midtower with lots of fans.

Could someone be able to link a guide or webpage that I could read that will show me what to check for? I don't want to change any settings that could potentially destroy my system.

Right now I just want to make sure all the settings in the bios are set for optimal, stable system performance. Once I get comfortable in playing with the bios I will think about overclocking but not until.

Thanks,

J
December 11, 2006 3:15:53 PM

just wanted to bump this as it fell to page 3 rather quick. Any help?
December 11, 2006 3:42:18 PM

Firstly, you need look no further than Wusy's C2D Overclocking Guide.

Secondly, I dont know how good your ram is going to be for overclocking. But, if you do it as it suggests, you can at least try.

Thirdly, you probably need to replace the stock cooler if you plan to overclock.
Related resources
December 11, 2006 4:04:59 PM

The RAM should be fine for overclocking. I don't know if it'll do well beyond its specifications, but it's 800MHz RAM, meaning you can raise the FSB to 400MHz (resulting in a CPU speed of 3.2GHz if the stock cooler can handle it) without pushing the RAM beyond its spec at all.

I agree that better cooling is a good idea for overclocking. It's not absolutely necessary, the stock cooler can be used, but you'll be pushing the limits temperature-wise.
December 11, 2006 4:18:40 PM

You should refer to the book for the motherboard. In most cases they provide a walk through at the end of the manual describing each setting and it's default value. :idea: You can go through the book and record the values you wish to use then enter them in the BIOS, try one at a time so you know if any setting is hanging things up it's the one you just changed.

After that If you wish to Overclock follow the leads provided by the guides suggested by the others.
December 12, 2006 2:27:04 AM

Thank you all for your help.

I am looking forward to see just what this new PC of mine can really do
December 12, 2006 3:30:59 AM

Buffalo's Firestix does really well in overclocking tests. A lot of reviews I've read say it overclocks highly and stably, depending on the type of chip being used. If yours are Micron-based, you should be good to go as far as overclocking is concerned.
!