Canon ZR65 as Webcam

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
November 10, 2004 2:26:04 PM

Greetings all.

You've been very helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd run this one by
you.

I am able to set-up and use my Canon ZR65 DV camcorder as a webcam without a
hitch. And quite honestly, the image beats the pants off of any of the
"real" webcams I have, including my reasonably new Creative NX Ultra (which
IMO, STINKS by the way). But before I use the Canon for any length of
time, I'd like to know the following;

Is there any harm in letting a camcorder "run" in this fashion?

Thanks for your time,

Thom

More about : canon zr65 webcam

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 9:24:24 PM

Thom <Thom@none.invalid> wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> You've been very helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd run this
> one by you.
>
> I am able to set-up and use my Canon ZR65 DV camcorder as a webcam
> without a hitch. And quite honestly, the image beats the pants off
> of any of the "real" webcams I have, including my reasonably new
> Creative NX Ultra (which IMO, STINKS by the way). But before I use
> the Canon for any length of time, I'd like to know the following;
>
> Is there any harm in letting a camcorder "run" in this fashion?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Thom

i have two digital camcorders that i have used for webcams and i agree the
image quality is unmatched....

one of these i had running for at least 2 years without any problems.. 24
hours a day 7 days a week....

but i guess its mahine dependant.. if the camcorder is a good one then i
dont see why it shouldnt last for years..

using the thing as a webcam is not using its full potential.. and apart from
the ehat generated it should be fine for a very long time..

regards slayer
November 11, 2004 11:42:45 AM

ThE SlAyEr <phlem1@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Thom <Thom@none.invalid> wrote:

>> Greetings all.
>>
>> You've been very helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd run this
>> one by you.
>>
>> I am able to set-up and use my Canon ZR65 DV camcorder as a webcam
>> without a hitch. And quite honestly, the image beats the pants off
>> of any of the "real" webcams I have, including my reasonably new
>> Creative NX Ultra (which IMO, STINKS by the way). But before I use
>> the Canon for any length of time, I'd like to know the following;
>>
>> Is there any harm in letting a camcorder "run" in this fashion?
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> Thom
>
> i have two digital camcorders that i have used for webcams and i
> agree the image quality is unmatched....
>
> one of these i had running for at least 2 years without any
> problems.. 24 hours a day 7 days a week....
>
> but i guess its mahine dependant.. if the camcorder is a good one
> then i dont see why it shouldnt last for years..

[May the following also serve as a "heads up" to anyone considering the
purchase of a Canon ZR-series DV camcorder.]

That (the quality of the camcorder) is part of the reason I asked the
question. Like *many* other folks, I've had problems with these cams in the
past. I was lucky in the respect that mine were still under warranty both
times. Based on personal experience and the amount of info available on the
web, it seems the ZR series isn't built all that well. Or at least the
ZR60, and 65 models. My original cam (ZR60) wouldn't eject the tape. This
happened about a month after I bought it, and Canon replaced it for free.
Even 'upgraded' me from a ZR60 to the 65. All was well for another six
months or so, and then the ZR65 just stopped recording video (audio and
playback still worked) for no appearant reason. Sent it off for repairs,
and got it back in a timely manner. Of course, I suppose it didn't hurt the
turn-around time that I don't live too far from the service center in NJ.

Anyway. That's why I was concerned about using it as a webcam and letting
it "idle" for hours at a time. I wasn't sure if that type of usage would
put any undue strain on the cam.

> using the thing as a webcam is not using its full potential..

Well yeah. But I figured if it was sitting on my desk instead of being
packed away in the closet, I might be more inclined to use it for it's
intended purpose. I can't tell you how many times I've thought, "I should
tape this" ... and then didn't, because my lazy ass couldn't be bothered to
go dig out the cam. :-)

Thanks for your reply. And for whatever it's worth? I should also note
that even though I've had problems with two different Canon's ... They
honored the warranty without a hassle both times, and the service department
seems top-notch.

Regards,
Thom
November 11, 2004 10:09:34 PM

yeah i see where your coming from.........

i have noticed these days when i buy something with a 12 month guarantee i
tend to work its boolks off for the whole 12 months trying to make it fail..
only to find on the 13th month it does fail...

typical....

anyway have a good day tomorrow....

regards slayer
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 10:02:10 PM

Just remove the tape!

You might like to know that our DVdriver webcam software ($20) can
actually optically zoom the Canon ZR series camcorders.

http://www.trackercam.com/dvdriver

"Thom" <Thom@none.invalid> wrote in message news:<duOdnTsTuLGA3A_cRVn-oA@comcast.com>...
> Greetings all.
>
> You've been very helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd run this one by
> you.
>
> I am able to set-up and use my Canon ZR65 DV camcorder as a webcam without a
> hitch. And quite honestly, the image beats the pants off of any of the
> "real" webcams I have, including my reasonably new Creative NX Ultra (which
> IMO, STINKS by the way). But before I use the Canon for any length of
> time, I'd like to know the following;
>
> Is there any harm in letting a camcorder "run" in this fashion?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Thom
November 13, 2004 4:00:21 PM

Eagletron <announcement@eagletron.com> wrote:

> Just remove the tape!

Well yeah. That, and the battery. :-)

When using the ZR65 as a webcam, it seems you have to remove the battery and
use the AC-adapter for power, as there doesn't appear to be any way to
disable the, "Auto Power Off" function, which shuts the camera down after
five minutes of "non-use" under battery power. No biggie, while in use as a
webcam, it's "strapped" to the PC via the firewire cable anyway. And just
for good measure? I switch the cam's output from tape, to card. ;-)

> You might like to know that our DVdriver webcam software ($20) can
> actually optically zoom the Canon ZR series camcorders.
>
> http://www.trackercam.com/dvdriver

I've no desire to let others control my cam remotely. That would give me
the creeps. :-)

Regardless? I took a look at the link above. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
it appears to be more or less just an "add-on" which will allow one's DVcam
to be used as a webcam if their current software doesn't already support
such a thing. I use Windows Media Encoder (free to XP and 2000 users) which
readily recognizes the ZR65, and *streams* my video beautifully.

And yes, I understand the limitation of encoding with WME. (The "visitor"
must have a version of Windows Media Player in order to see the stream.) It
really doesn't concern me much, though. I run the cam on a personal home
page, and all my friends and relatives either use *some* flavor of Windows,
or have WMP (for MAC) installed, so it's good enough for me, and the "price"
sure was right. :-)

Thom

> "Thom" <Thom@none.invalid> wrote in message
>> Greetings all.
>>
>> You've been very helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd run
>> this one by you.
>>
>> I am able to set-up and use my Canon ZR65 DV camcorder as a webcam
>> without a hitch. And quite honestly, the image beats the pants off
>> of any of the "real" webcams I have, including my reasonably new
>> Creative NX Ultra (which IMO, STINKS by the way). But before I use
>> the Canon for any length of time, I'd like to know the following;
>>
>> Is there any harm in letting a camcorder "run" in this fashion?
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> Thom
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 1:44:18 PM

Yes, DVdriver is an "addon" that would let you use other webcam
software. It can actually create multiple copies of your video to feed
to several applications at the same time. It also would give you
computer control of the zoom of your camcorder. DVdriver also supports
the PowerPod pan/tilt base.

DVdriver's features are listed here:

http://www.trackecam.com/DVdriver

(The link I gave you in error before is just the direct link to the
trial version of the software).

Glad you got what you need working with WME. Do you notice a 15 second
delay in the video?

"Thom" <Thom@none.invalid> wrote in message news:<UcSdnc-ek7ep0QvcRVn-rg@comcast.com>...
> Eagletron <announcement@eagletron.com> wrote:
>
> > Just remove the tape!
>
> Well yeah. That, and the battery. :-)
>
> When using the ZR65 as a webcam, it seems you have to remove the battery and
> use the AC-adapter for power, as there doesn't appear to be any way to
> disable the, "Auto Power Off" function, which shuts the camera down after
> five minutes of "non-use" under battery power. No biggie, while in use as a
> webcam, it's "strapped" to the PC via the firewire cable anyway. And just
> for good measure? I switch the cam's output from tape, to card. ;-)
>
> > You might like to know that our DVdriver webcam software ($20) can
> > actually optically zoom the Canon ZR series camcorders.
> >
> > http://www.trackercam.com/dvdriver
>
> I've no desire to let others control my cam remotely. That would give me
> the creeps. :-)
>
> Regardless? I took a look at the link above. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
> it appears to be more or less just an "add-on" which will allow one's DVcam
> to be used as a webcam if their current software doesn't already support
> such a thing. I use Windows Media Encoder (free to XP and 2000 users) which
> readily recognizes the ZR65, and *streams* my video beautifully.
>
> And yes, I understand the limitation of encoding with WME. (The "visitor"
> must have a version of Windows Media Player in order to see the stream.) It
> really doesn't concern me much, though. I run the cam on a personal home
> page, and all my friends and relatives either use *some* flavor of Windows,
> or have WMP (for MAC) installed, so it's good enough for me, and the "price"
> sure was right. :-)
>
> Thom
>

> > "Thom" <Thom@none.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Greetings all.
> >>
> >> You've been very helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd run
> >> this one by you.
> >>
> >> I am able to set-up and use my Canon ZR65 DV camcorder as a webcam
> >> without a hitch. And quite honestly, the image beats the pants off
> >> of any of the "real" webcams I have, including my reasonably new
> >> Creative NX Ultra (which IMO, STINKS by the way). But before I use
> >> the Canon for any length of time, I'd like to know the following;
> >>
> >> Is there any harm in letting a camcorder "run" in this fashion?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your time,
> >>
> >> Thom
November 17, 2004 3:19:25 PM

Eagletron <announcement@eagletron.com> wrote:

> Yes, DVdriver is an "addon" that would let you use other webcam
> software. It can actually create multiple copies of your video to feed
> to several applications at the same time. It also would give you
> computer control of the zoom of your camcorder. DVdriver also supports
> the PowerPod pan/tilt base.
>
> DVdriver's features are listed here:
>
> http://www.trackecam.com/DVdriver
>
> (The link I gave you in error before is just the direct link to the
> trial version of the software).
>
> Glad you got what you need working with WME. Do you notice a 15 second
> delay in the video?

I've actually timed it with some freinds. The delay is just under 7 seconds
@320x240/128K/WMP-9 codec. (broadband-to-broadband)

And since I'm not doing audio? .. I can live with the delay. :-)

I'm sure you have a fine product. It's just that for my purposes? (single
cam on a dopey home page) WME is the way to go.

I don't think anyone really cares if they see my cat walk into the room now,
or seven seconds from now. And I'm almost *certain* nobody wants to hear
what he has to "say". :-)

Regards,

Thom
!