Sign in with
Your question

Why is the hardware.fi country site so _BAD_

Last response: in Site Feedback
February 5, 2011 8:49:39 PM

I'm just wondering how you can pass those google translations on hardware.fi country site. Its not even freakin finnish to be polite. Its just google translations ffs.

If your gonna do country translations than please, write in the native language dont use google translations, or please correct them so native speakers wouldnt be so embarrassed :( 

At this point it would be better to just re-direct to tomshardware.com.

The language on hardware.fi is so awful that I just begin to describe.
February 6, 2011 8:25:27 AM

Which of teh official languages is it trying to write?

Perhaps this is related to problems with the UK version of the site which is roundly screwed but is supposed to be fixed in a redevelopment due out in the second quarter of this year.
February 7, 2011 3:46:29 AM

Saga Lout said:

Which of teh official languages is it trying to write?

Perhaps this is related to problems with the UK version of the site which is roundly screwed but is supposed to be fixed in a redevelopment due out in the second quarter of this year.

They are _trying_ to write finnish, it's all written like 'tarded..
Related resources
February 7, 2011 7:36:16 AM

I picked a paragraph at random and ran it through a translater I found on Google and it seems to make sense in English - more than most translated text I've tried.

Finnish article about an Intel product:-

Aiempien tietojen mukaan X25-M G3 -asemissa tullaan näkemään ainakin parannettuja kirjoitusnopeuksia sekä rautatason tuki AES-salaukselle. Silican lista ei paljasta eri kokovaihtoehtojen hinnoittelua, mutta ainakin teoriassa pienempään valmistustekniikkaan siirtyminen laskee hintaa gigatavua kohti aiempiin sukupolviin verrattuna.

Turns into:-

Previous information, the X25-M G3 drives will be seen, at least improved write speeds as well as hardware support for AES encryption. Silican list does not disclose the size of the different pricing options, but at least in theory, the transition to smaller manufacturing technology calculates the cost per gigabyte compared to previous generations.

I'll try to track the original English text and compare the two to see how close it came.

February 7, 2011 1:23:01 PM

well, thats just the point its english tranlated when it should be written from start as finnish, it keeps the structure of english when finnish uses its own structure in sentences, so it is very bad finnish, it feels like some 6 year old retard wrote it.

It makes sense but you can clearly see it is actually just google translation. As finnish isnt a english-german language at all (like swedish, france english dutch etc etc).

There's no excuse why these writers wouldnt write it in finnish with finnish structure and incanation.
February 7, 2011 3:43:13 PM

For that article to go from Finnish to English and not seem choppy to read means it was definitely a google translation, their translator is getting good, but it still always leaves those weird grammatical issues that make you stop and reread, and i dont see any in there.

Tom's may not have any native finnish speakers, but generally people who really want to read it will run it through a translator them self, it is a bit embarrassing to have a really poorly translated site.
February 7, 2011 5:55:47 PM

nekromobo said:
well, thats just the point its english tranlated when it should be written from start as finnish, it keeps the structure of english when finnish uses its own structure in sentences, so it is very bad finnish, it feels like some 6 year old retard wrote it.

It makes sense but you can clearly see it is actually just google translation. As finnish isnt a english-german language at all (like swedish, france english dutch etc etc).

There's no excuse why these writers wouldnt write it in finnish with finnish structure and incanation.

I take your point but as a non Finnish speaker, I wouldn't have known. I understand your position now - why provide a site in a language for which you don't have any specifcally trained writers.

!