What's the point of PCIe x1 and x4?

Jazzman1284

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Does anyone know of anything that makes use of the PCIe x1 and x4 connections? It seems like these just take up space on mobos (or are just placed where they will never be used, i.e just below a x16). Weird.

randomizer

Champion
Well as you've seen eventually PCI will be fazed out much like ISA was back in the day. So eventually you will start seeing more and more PCI-e 1x cards hitting the market. From video cards to sound cards and every othe card you can currently use in a PCI slot will make it's way over to PCI-e.
But until then, PCIe 1x and 4x slots are useless space wasters where another PCIe 16x slot would be preferable as far as I'm concerned. Not that I would use it tho since I have no interest in SLI/CF.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
for PCI to be phassed out, companies will FIRST have to start releasing PCI express 4x and 1x card like sound cards,tv cards, IDE controller cards, wireless cards, modem cards(LOL) etc

Then phase out PCI ;)

if not

PCI will survive, thats for sure....

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Well as you've seen eventually PCI will be fazed out much like ISA was back in the day. So eventually you will start seeing more and more PCI-e 1x cards hitting the market. From video cards to sound cards and every othe card you can currently use in a PCI slot will make it's way over to PCI-e.

This seems to be good news! If PCIe will be around a long time, I guess that means PCIe-16 will also be around a long time. Not like buying a mobo and finding out you can't get a good new video card any more. Like with my AGP board.

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I thought that several PCI cards, like a sound card, ethernet card, t.v. card, and/or a raid controller would choke a PCI bus because of the lack of bandwith.