M2

I'd like to set up a shortcut to manually start my screen saver (like I could
before Office 2003.) I have seen instructions on how to create shortcuts and
don't seem to have any problem understanding those, I just cannot find the
program to link it to. I use My Pictures Slideshow and just want to be able
to manually start that up when I like. I have looked for programs with the
extension .svr, but none of them launch My Pictures Slideshow (they launch
all the other standard screensavers that came with Windows), so it must have
another name/extension I am unaware of. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Hi,

Link to ssmypics.scr (not .svr, gotta watch that extension) in the
\windows\system32 folder.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"m2" <m2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to set up a shortcut to manually start my screen saver (like I
> could
> before Office 2003.) I have seen instructions on how to create shortcuts
> and
> don't seem to have any problem understanding those, I just cannot find the
> program to link it to. I use My Pictures Slideshow and just want to be
> able
> to manually start that up when I like. I have looked for programs with the
> extension .svr, but none of them launch My Pictures Slideshow (they launch
> all the other standard screensavers that came with Windows), so it must
> have
> another name/extension I am unaware of. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

M2

That did it! Thanks!

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:53:01 -0800, m2 wrote:

> I'd like to set up a shortcut to manually start my screen saver (like I could
> before Office 2003.) I have seen instructions on how to create shortcuts and
> don't seem to have any problem understanding those, I just cannot find the
> program to link it to. I use My Pictures Slideshow and just want to be able
> to manually start that up when I like. I have looked for programs with the
> extension .svr, but none of them launch My Pictures Slideshow (they launch
> all the other standard screensavers that came with Windows), so it must have
> another name/extension I am unaware of. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

It's ssmypics.scr in the \windows\system32 folder.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

"Tom Porterfield" wrote...
>> I'd like to set up a shortcut to manually start my screen saver>

> It's ssmypics.scr in the \windows\system32 folder.

I used to use such a shortcut to launch my passworded screen saver whenever
I left my desk. The password feature doesn't seem to work in XP Home when
you launch this way, is there a workaround for that?

Don Jennings wrote:
> I used to use such a shortcut to launch my passworded screen saver
> whenever I left my desk. The password feature doesn't seem to work
> in XP Home when you launch this way, is there a workaround for that?

If your primary concern is locking your computer to prevent snooping you are
probably better off pressing Start-L. If you have fast user switching
activated (it is on by default) this is the equivalent of pressing Start ->
Log Off -> Switch User. If you don't I think this locks the computer. Either
way you have to enter your password to continue working.