Bluetooth WinCE microphones?

March 13, 2005 12:07:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.speech.users,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.dsp (More info?)

Are there any Bluetooth Pocket PC / Windows CE devices which allow
recording from microphones on Bluetooth headsets?

I am told this registry setting is required:
HKeyLocalMchine\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\Services\0005\Enabled=1

Is that true for all models?

Sincerely,
James Salsman
--
www.readsay.com - maker of the ReadSay PROnounce English literacy system
400 MHz PDA included: $499 -- http://www.readsay.com/PROnounce.html

Archived from groups: comp.speech.users,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.dsp (More info?)

No, not true.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Geekzone Software Store for Pocket PC and Smartphone:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

"James Salsman" <james.at.readsay.com@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:p 8WdnTLk8f0CV67fRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
> Are there any Bluetooth Pocket PC / Windows CE devices which allow
> recording from microphones on Bluetooth headsets?
>
> I am told this registry setting is required:
> HKeyLocalMchine\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\Services\0005\Enabled=1
>
> Is that true for all models?
>
> Sincerely,
> James Salsman
> --
> www.readsay.com - maker of the ReadSay PROnounce English literacy system
> 400 MHz PDA included: $499 -- http://www.readsay.com/PROnounce.html
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:00:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.speech.users,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.dsp (More info?)

Mauricio,

Thank you for your reply.

Which Windows CE devices can record audio from Bluetooth headsets?

Sincerely,
James Salsman
--
www.readsay.com - maker of the ReadSay PROnounce English literacy system
400 MHz PDA included: $499 -- http://www.readsay.com/PROnounce.html
March 14, 2005 12:53:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.speech.users,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.dsp (More info?)

I know some old iPAQ could use a headset for SOUND OUT, with some registry
changes. The newer hx4700 and rx3715 support this without any changes.

I'm not aware of any that support SOUND IN...

> Mauricio,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Which Windows CE devices can record audio from Bluetooth headsets?
>
> Sincerely,
> James Salsman
> --
> www.readsay.com - maker of the ReadSay PROnounce English literacy system
> 400 MHz PDA included: $499 -- http://www.readsay.com/PROnounce.html
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:53:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.speech.users,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.dsp (More info?)

The rx3715 does not natively support either the headset nor the A2DP (stereo
headphone) profile. Both my Dell X30 and X50 have a handsfree/headset
profile natively. It supports both in and out. That is you can record from
the headset and you can use Skype from the headset.

--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:o fVj0n6JFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I know some old iPAQ could use a headset for SOUND OUT, with some registry
>changes. The newer hx4700 and rx3715 support this without any changes.
>
> I'm not aware of any that support SOUND IN...

> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> Geekzone Software Store for Pocket PC and Smartphone:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>

> "James Salsman" <james.at.readsay.com@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Mauricio,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> Which Windows CE devices can record audio from Bluetooth headsets?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> James Salsman
>> --
>> www.readsay.com - maker of the ReadSay PROnounce English literacy system
>> 400 MHz PDA included: $499 -- http://www.readsay.com/PROnounce.html

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:53:51 AM

Sven wrote:

>... Both my Dell X30 and X50 have a handsfree/headset
> profile natively. It supports both in and out. That is
> you can record from the headset and you can use Skype
> from the headset.

How did you obtain that configuration, other than assigning
the headset to the Pocket PC?

E.g.: Did you need to edit the registry with a registry editor?

Was there a control panel that was supposed to be used for
the configuration to do the same thing?

Did you have to do anything else to record and use Skype?

Sincerely,
James
--
www.readsay.com - maker of the ReadSay PROnounce English literacy system
400 MHz PDA included: $499 -- http://www.readsay.com/PROnounce.html
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:41:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.speech.users,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.dsp (More info?)

Neither the hx4700 supports the A2DP (unless you install an extra software)
http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

"Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o NE5QuDKFHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> The rx3715 does not natively support either the headset nor the A2DP
> (stereo headphone) profile. Both my Dell X30 and X50 have a
> handsfree/headset profile natively. It supports both in and out. That is
> you can record from the headset and you can use Skype from the headset.
>
> --
> Sven
> MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o fVj0n6JFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>I know some old iPAQ could use a headset for SOUND OUT, with some registry
>>changes. The newer hx4700 and rx3715 support this without any changes.
>>
>> I'm not aware of any that support SOUND IN...
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> Geekzone Software Store for Pocket PC and Smartphone:
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>>

>> "James Salsman" <james.at.readsay.com@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Mauricio,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your reply.
>>>
>>> Which Windows CE devices can record audio from Bluetooth headsets?
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> James Salsman
>>> --
>>> www.readsay.com - maker of the ReadSay PROnounce English literacy system
>>> 400 MHz PDA included: $499 -- http://www.readsay.com/PROnounce.html

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:23:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.speech.users,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.dsp (More info?)

In the BT manager you have a BT handsfree/headset profile. You put your
headset in discoverable mode and select new, headset, in the manager. You
got through the usual steps, discover, enter PIN, etc, and you get a new BT
manager shortcut for the headset. At that point, whenever you connect to
that headset, any audio in or out of the PPC is routed to the headset.

I can do the same thing with a 2215, but it takes a registry hack to expose
the headset profile in the manager in the first place. A 4155 doesn't work
as it seems some BT stuff is missing. I don't know about other HP models
first hand.

Nothing has an A2DP profile at this point, until you load the driver that
comes with the HP stereo headphones. That is only output though, as they
don't have a mic. That driver only loads on HP devices, rx3715, 2215, 4155
etc. There was another driver floating around the net (non-HP) that did add
the a2DP profile to other PPCs. I got it to work on an X30, but not on an
X50. Others had different results. It's an underground solution at this
point anyway, and doesn't address the mic issue in any case.

--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> Sven wrote:
>
>>... Both my Dell X30 and X50 have a handsfree/headset profile natively. It
>>supports both in and out. That is you can record from the headset and you
>>can use Skype from the headset.
>
> How did you obtain that configuration, other than assigning
> the headset to the Pocket PC?
>
> E.g.: Did you need to edit the registry with a registry editor?
>
> Was there a control panel that was supposed to be used for
> the configuration to do the same thing?
>
> Did you have to do anything else to record and use Skype?
>
> Sincerely,
> James
> --
> www.readsay.com - maker of the ReadSay PROnounce English literacy system
> 400 MHz PDA included: $499 -- http://www.readsay.com/PROnounce.html
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:46:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.speech.users,microsoft.public.pocketpc,comp.dsp (More info?)

re
"At that point, whenever you connect to
that headset, any audio in or out of the PPC is routed to the headset."
I'm using an Orange SPV M2000 (same as the O2 XDA II I think). When
partnered using the handsfree profile (the only profile that appears in
my bluetooth manager) all phone in/out is routed to the headset
(Jabra250) but no other audio. So for instance the MS Voice Control
doesn;t take input from the BT headset (when put into voice dialling
mode - which incidently isn;t enabled on the SPV but is on the XDA !).

Anyone found a workaround for this?

andy

!