Shortcuts won't allow multi-open windows

January 8, 2005 9:43:02 PM

I have created shortcuts to sites I need to use. But..I am unable to keep
more than one shortcut open at a time. If I open one and downsize it, then
attempt to open another..it just closes my first window and opens the new
one. Very difficult, as I need this for school referencing. Help!
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:19:35 AM

You might want to try this:

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options.
Click on the Advanced page.
Uncheck "Reuse windows to launch shortcuts".

Nepatsfan
"Debrah257" <Debrah257@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>I have created shortcuts to sites I need to use. But..I am
>unable to keep
> more than one shortcut open at a time. If I open one and
> downsize it, then
> attempt to open another..it just closes my first window and
> opens the new
> one. Very difficult, as I need this for school referencing.
> Help!
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:19:36 AM

Worked like a charm, thank you so much!!!!! I'm learning how to use my new
computer during my first week of school so your help is VERY much appreciated!

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> You might want to try this:
>
> Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options.
> Click on the Advanced page.
> Uncheck "Reuse windows to launch shortcuts".
>
> Nepatsfan
> "Debrah257" <Debrah257@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> >I have created shortcuts to sites I need to use. But..I am
> >unable to keep
> > more than one shortcut open at a time. If I open one and
> > downsize it, then
> > attempt to open another..it just closes my first window and
> > opens the new
> > one. Very difficult, as I need this for school referencing.
> > Help!

January 9, 2005 1:50:33 AM

Glad to hear that helped. Good luck with school.

Nepatsfan
"Debrah" <Debrah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Worked like a charm, thank you so much!!!!! I'm learning how
> to use my new
> computer during my first week of school so your help is VERY
> much appreciated!
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> You might want to try this:
>>
>> Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options.
>> Click on the Advanced page.
>> Uncheck "Reuse windows to launch shortcuts".
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>> "Debrah257" <Debrah257@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have created shortcuts to sites I need to use. But..I am
>> >unable to keep
>> > more than one shortcut open at a time. If I open one and
>> > downsize it, then
>> > attempt to open another..it just closes my first window and
>> > opens the new
>> > one. Very difficult, as I need this for school referencing.
>> > Help!

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:28:01 PM

Right-click on your Desktop Internet Explorer icon and select:
Properties > Advanced and 'uncheck' "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts",
then click "apply".

Another possibility:

From Don Varnau, MVP IE/OE

<quote>

You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another pop-up blocker) My IE2 (a shell for IE) etc.
Yahoo Companion is a very common cause.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or,
perhaps,
uninstall the program.

With some programs of this type, using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will
allow
a new window.

Don

</quote>