What's the best psu of these two?

gamax

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Hi I am going to be running this system... finally

AMD Opteron 170 (Going to OC it as far as I can go)
ATi Radeon X1950XT 256MB
1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold Edition
MSI K8N Neo4 Motherboard
Antec Super Lanboy case (may fit?) http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/superlanboy/

Wondering if this PSU would be enough or should I need something bigger. Note that 105-110 is already out of my budget ($100) but I've read excellent reviews about this so I may go for it. Also is the wattage enough? and Amperage?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194003

or is this one better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151023

The Enermax dose not have 22A x2 of 12v (22x2x12 = 528 watts, not possible) power available to it, the 22A figure would be peak power, not continues sustainable power.

The Seasonic's build quality is about as good as it gets; quality Adda fan, high-quality Jappanese capacitors, ect. It's also slightly more efficient, and quieter. For those reasons I consider the Seasonic better.

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
I'm not going to get in the whole "how much power do systems ACTUALLY consume at peak" issue, but the Seasonic gets a decent rating here :

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

Both Seasonic and Enermax are considered to be high quality PSUs. I have not heard of Seasonic making crap products, and every company has their value line. For Antec, this line is the SmartPower. The premium you pay for an otherwise average PSU is for the brand name.

My 2c

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Go with Enermax. Enermax pumps more W and amps. It is 7 bucks more in price but worth in the end. I would trust Enermax over SeaSonic in quality and power output. I had couple of Enermax in my past systems and had no problems.

Surferosa

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Seasonic's quality has been slipping lately. Everyone knows that Antecs Smartpower line of PSUs are for the most parts piles of junk. What few people know is that it's seasonic who builds those PSUs for Antec.
8O

Please expand further.

Surferosa

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Interesting.

I have used Enermax, Seasonic & Antec. Never had a problem with any of them. Had a few problems with no-name brands, but I have stuck to the above three. Antec had a few compatability issues with the 975X boards- but I believe these have been put to rest.

Always good to get feedback though- just wondered if you had any emperical evidence or it was a general view you had.

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
I haven't used Seasonic, but wouldn't common sense dictates check for warranty so you can go aggressively to ask for exchange if it happens to fail before warranty period expires? (OK, giving you a long warranties of crap may become a problem to your other parts, but in most cases it is the better approach if they decide to make money)

As for Enermax... I have 2x liberty and 1x Galaxy, 1 of the liberty failed because of the trouble upstream at home (the house wires aren't very good to begin with) and the replacement died at school when there is good wiring (I have no diea what they did to the PSU when I sent to the store, but well), the others are still alive and well, so I would be neutral on this

I think Antec has a longer warranty period than Enermax (at least at the place where I bought my truePower Trio)

kostantinos08

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
S.O.S message
i just found out that CORSAIR PSU'S suck!!(i think CORSAIR means pussies by the word psu!! :fou: :fou: :fou: )
it sucks in all ways
avoid their psu's
corsair's psu's are not recommended for high end systems.
my experience?
i bought a new pc with
intel core 2 quad q8200 (2.33ghz)
radeon 4890 1 gigabyte ram
creative x-fi titanium fatality champion series(main disadvantage of having 2 power cables which means more watts to swallow!!!)
seagate 180 giga
aaaaand......
with my moth...f....ing corsair 650psu the :fou: system doesn't even starts.i had to get rid of my x-fi soundcard and finally i got it started.
CORSAIR SUCKS.keep the bad work corsair!!!! you will soon increase your retarded customers!!!