HP 5550 and External Microphone

a b α HP
March 13, 2005 1:47:33 PM

Hi, maybe someone has some help for this question.

I have a few questions. I drive to work on a daily basis, 1 hour one way.
during this time I make lots of mental notes on different topics. I would
like to be able to record these thoughts on my Ipaq. I've done some
research on using a microphone in the audio port of my HP.

1. Does the headphone jack actually double as a Microphone In jack, if so I
could use a small clip on my shirt condenser mic.

2. How can I set a "button" to automatically start some kind of recorder,
and which software would be the best to use.

3. How could I automatically save these recordings to my SD card.

I'm not really looking for quick answers, maybe a link or two or some
reading material.

TIA
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 14, 2005 1:42:05 PM

"Ingit" <german-jammer@Phreaker.net> wrote in message
> 1. Does the headphone jack actually double as a Microphone In jack, if so
> I could use a small clip on my shirt condenser mic.

Unless you find a place that makes adapters which allows you to plug in a
microphone you won't be able to use a clip on mic. You can get plantronics
ipaq headset (http://tinyurl.com/663hr) and that should work fine.

> 2. How can I set a "button" to automatically start some kind of recorder,
> and which software would be the best to use.

If you depress the volume up/down button in the middle it will launch the
built in recorder.

> 3. How could I automatically save these recordings to my SD card.

AFAIK you can't set the internal voice reocrder to record directly to the SD
card(never need this option but it may be availalbe), but if you use a third
party program like Resco recorder (www.resco-net.com) will let you save
files wherever you want.

rights...
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 14, 2005 9:37:59 PM

Thanks for info. I thought that the earphone jack doubled as a microphone
jack?

<snip>
Related resources
March 14, 2005 9:38:00 PM

It divides the shield portion of the jack into 3 sections instead of 2
(stereo headphones) or 1 (mono headphones), so you need a special plug to
access the microphone input.
Terry

> Thanks for info. I thought that the earphone jack doubled as a microphone
> jack?
>
> <snip>

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 14, 2005 9:38:00 PM

The headphone jack does have a microphone input but you need either a
headset with the 4 conductors needed for headset/microphone operation or a
cable that will allow you to connect a microphone to one side and headphones
to the other.

rights...

"Ingit" <german-jammer@Phreaker.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for info. I thought that the earphone jack doubled as a microphone
> jack?
>
> <snip>

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 14, 2005 9:38:01 PM

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> It divides the shield portion of the jack into 3 sections instead of 2
> (stereo headphones) or 1 (mono headphones), so you need a special plug to
> access the microphone input.
> Terry

Is this different than the typical steroe/headset
with microphone plug?

(Is an additional adapater generally required if
you have stereo headset with a mic in the same
size plug?)

--
Herb Martin

> "Ingit" <german-jammer@Phreaker.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks for info. I thought that the earphone jack doubled as a
microphone
> > jack?
> >
> > <snip>

March 14, 2005 9:38:02 PM

Sounds like it would be the same.
Terry

news:o %23REt9MKFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
>> It divides the shield portion of the jack into 3 sections instead of 2
>> (stereo headphones) or 1 (mono headphones), so you need a special plug to
>> access the microphone input.
>> Terry
>
> Is this different than the typical steroe/headset
> with microphone plug?
>
> (Is an additional adapater generally required if
> you have stereo headset with a mic in the same
> size plug?)
>
> --
> Herb Martin
>

>> "Ingit" <german-jammer@Phreaker.net> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for info. I thought that the earphone jack doubled as a
> microphone
>> > jack?
>> >
>> > <snip>

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 14, 2005 9:38:03 PM

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o hAGRYNKFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Sounds like it would be the same.

I also thought that the mono-mic phone plugs
were configured to pick up from both the left-right
areas of the jack (or just the right if as an alternative).

So the mic could be placed in a spot distinct from
them both.

(I am stumbling here so this is as much a question as
a statement...)

One thing I have noticed about headsets: It is easy
enough to buy a stereo headset with earmuff headphones,
or decent portable stereo earphones ONLY, but darn
near impossible to find (decent) portable/small
stereo earpieces with a microphone too.

I generally prefer the Sony (fix hook design) and have
several stereo eaphones for listening ONLY, and a
couple of headsets that are MONO only (with a single
earpiece.)

What I really want is:
Quality, small, stereo, mic,
(...and then cheap as long as I am dreaming)

--
Herb Martin

> Terry

> news:o %23REt9MKFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> It divides the shield portion of the jack into 3 sections instead of 2
> >> (stereo headphones) or 1 (mono headphones), so you need a special plug
> >> access the microphone input.
> >> Terry
> >
> > Is this different than the typical steroe/headset
> > with microphone plug?
> >
> > (Is an additional adapater generally required if
> > you have stereo headset with a mic in the same
> > size plug?)
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> >> "Ingit" <german-jammer@Phreaker.net> wrote in message
> > microphone

March 14, 2005 9:38:04 PM

I can't see where you are going. The jack has 4 distinct connections.
Starting from the tip; left out,right out ,mic in, shield. The output
connections are not usable for the mic as it requires an input.
Terry

!