File Protection

Whenever I boot, I get a message box, as follows:

Message Box: Windows File Protection

Message: "Files that are required for Windows to run
properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions.
To maintain system stability Windows must restore the
original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD Rom now."

Is this legitimate?

If it is, since I didn't get a CD with this machine,
and since there is no browse option to allow me to
get to the system files, what can I do, other than System Restore?

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Dick Reuben" <dickre@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Whenever I boot, I get a message box, as follows:
>
> Message Box: Windows File Protection
>
> Message: "Files that are required for Windows to run
> properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions.
> To maintain system stability Windows must restore the
> original versions of these files.
>
> Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD Rom now."
>
> Is this legitimate?
>
> If it is, since I didn't get a CD with this machine,
> and since there is no browse option to allow me to
> get to the system files, what can I do, other than System Restore?

In a DOS shell (aka Command Prompt), run:

sfc /scannow

That runs the system file checker utility. That might end up giving you
the same message you saw before. If you didn't get a CD with the
computer, the Windows install files might be in a hidden partition on
the hard drive (but that may only contain a drive image for a full
restore which overwrites and wipes out everything in the OS partition).
You'll have to contact whomever built your computer for their
instructions on how to use SFC or how to recover corrupted system files
using whatever they provided, assuming the manual(s) that came with the
computer don't tell you that already.

E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

Hi there,

In case you have a Compaq/HP/Dell/IBM or any other branded computer, then
you must be using a OEM version of Windows XP, the Windows XP setup files
are located in the hard drive, check in the below locations:

C:\Windows\i386

C:\i386

You may also like to refer to the below site for more information:
http://www.winxptutor.com/sfp.htm

HTH
Venkatesh