Best graphic card brand

G

im planning to buy i7 920 with 6gb ddr3 ram (using 64bit)and use intel or asus mobo,plus 500watt power supply by cooler master.im architecture student which alot of multitasking job everyday produce 3d n multimedia visual n same time i enjoy play game too..so which would i go for vga?nvidia?ati?..i m thinking of just 9800gt or GTS series...what u say???help!!!..thanks bro

G

im planning to buy i7 920 with 6gb ddr3 ram (using 64bit)and use intel or asus mobo,plus 500watt power supply by cooler master.im architecture student which alot of multitasking job everyday produce 3d n multimedia visual n same time i enjoy play game too..so which would i go for vga?nvidia?ati?..i m thinking of just 9800gt or GTS series...what u say???help!!!..thanks bro

GTS Series? What, there is more than just the GTS250 now? I know they started making the 210,220,and 240 but I was under the impression those were labeled as GT, not GTS. If your not playing the newest games on a huge monitor and DX11 isn't a high priority I would say a GTS 250 1GB would be fine on a budget. It supports PhysX and CUDA (whereas ATI does not.) and in gaming or general computing CUDA comes in handy for a lot of things. Makes your video card like a second processor (that's way over simplifying it).

Now I am not a nvidia fanboy. Both of my current machines use ATI cards. One is running 4770's in crossfire (works damn well and doesn't use much power, and cheap) and my i5 is running a HD 4890. It's a beast of a card, and while it isn't on the same level of some of their newer cards, I don't expect I'll have to upgrade any time soon. Oh, and I do have the GTS 250 sitting in my closet as a spare (I swap it in when there is a game I am playing that requires PhysX, Cuda, or if I wanna play in 3d.)

Anyhow, I hope that helps.
(as for brands, I like EVGA and BFG for Nvidia cards, and XFX for ATi. XFX does make both types, ATi and nVidia.)

spleee254

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
well in my experience ATI has poor drivers and bad tech support although i am a fan of the 5870 i use a gtx 260 now and its grate perfect for video editing and games. I use 3ds max maya photoshop and the like and its great. Only 220 right now at tigerdirect.com plus you get far cry 2 lol also if you have a fix extra bucks i go with the gtx 285...

G

See I hear that quite often about ATI having lousy drivers and bad support, but I think that was in the pre-AMD days. Since AMD has acquired them their quality has really improved, same with the drivers. Also to be completely fair, most games and quite a few applications I have seen are really geared more towards nVidia. But if your using newer programs that aren't leaning one way or another (I call them Neutrals) then your money is best used on ATI.

Having said that, it's entirely up to you to do your homework and see what your usage will lean towards. Are you willing to be on a budget and your programs are compatible with the ATI CCC (driver and front end program) by all means, spend less and be happy. If you have a larger budget (and the power supply to go with some of the newer cards, which I am not sure 500W will be enough for something like a 5870 or GTX 285) then get a higher end GTX 260 or go with the mid-range GTS 250 like I talked about earlier in the thread.

Anyhow, thats just my 2 cents. Do with it as you please.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I've bought a couple of low end video cards recently. I didn't need gaming capability but I did want decent quality. I started at the bottom and looked at the products that newegg stocked, in particular the owner reviews of those products. It seemed that the low end products mostly got bad ratings, so I kept looking until I found some products with good ratings and bought them. A year ago it seemed that MSI products had good ratings. This year I found an EVGA card with good ratings. YMMV of course depending on what class of card you are looking for.