Decisions. New hardware for LAN party

victis_reborn

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I have been hosting LAN parties for about 4 years now and I was recently thinking of upgrading my network to gigabit. I've been tossing around a few different ideas on what hardware to get and what configuration to use, but I'd like to get some outside opinions to play devils advocate for me. I host my parties in my home and the turn out is usually somewhere between 10 - 25 people.

So far I've decided on a D-Link DGL-4300 http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370 for my wireless router. I would like to implement 2 16-port switches ( one for each room that my guests set up in). I guess my main question would be whether or not the router (which has 4 gigabit ethernet ports) would be sufficient for my core or should I get an additional smaller 4-8 port switch and uplink that to my router. My concern is whether the router will be as efficient at handling the traffic as a switch, or at least comparable.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm no expert with this so feel free to bash all my ideas to pieces if you think they suck :wink:

I'm not sure if this is posted in the correct area. Sorry if it isn't.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
My instincts say use a standalone switch for the core switch but that d-link may work just fine. Either way you will need a router for internet, dhcp, and wireless so I'd give it a shot. Only a lan will tell if it can handle that much gaming load :)

kdxrider9262

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I own the DGL-4300 and its been a sweet router...I host LAN parties as well.....I have had some trouble with the router though....Some people arnt able to access the internet....It gives out a valid IP address and gateway etc....but just arnt able to access the internet....AIM, Steam, progz like that still work fine just no internet...I also run a Netgear GS724T 24 port gig switch and that is awesome but after doing some reviews I found that people like the d-link one better :)

hope this helps :)