99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I have 2 sticks of pc-100 64mb ram and i pulled one of the sticks out of an old hp computer. Now when i turn it on the cpu fan is very loud. I am not sure if it is just the fan acting up or if it had somthing to do with my memory being taken out.
Any suggestions???

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Maybe you nudged the fan header? Try reseating it. Or try removing the (possibly) offending stick of ram and see if it goes back to normal.

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Well it happeded when I took the ram out. But the thing is I dont have the other ram any more becuase I put it into another computer which I sold.

G

Give a good tap on the fan...it works with old stuff.

A 3-5years old fan might get faulty/dusty.

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I have took it off and cleaned it already. However that didn't work.

Also the reason I think it could be the ram being taken out is becuase there has never been any sign of it acting up. But right after I took the ram out it souded like it was running at full speed.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
I have took it off and cleaned it already. However that didn't work.

Also the reason I think it could be the ram being taken out is becuase there has never been any sign of it acting up. But right after I took the ram out it souded like it was running at full speed.

i've found that yelling profanities at my older tech usually helps straighten it/them out. you may concider this approach.

i have a similar problem with a gfx fan, it roars at me when i boot up, but usually stops <30 sec. afterwards. is this your case too, or is it constantly loud?

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
No mine stays constantly loud. If it would stop doing it after about 30sec then I wouldnt care but its so dam loud.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
No mine stays constantly loud. If it would stop doing it after about 30sec then I wouldnt care but its so dam loud.

yes yes, i understand completely. loud sustained noises are quite annoying, especially when they are preventable! i feel your pain.

so this is the cpu fan we speak of, right? could you explain the loud noise at all, any better? my point is, do you think that possibly oiling it would help? does it sound like that kind of noise?

you may want to consider oiling this fan, but i think that that would be a last resort (i messed up my cool holographic sticker when i did mine :cry: ) lets try some other things first. so it has been removed and cleaned. perhaps it is vibrating too much. have you checked its screws/attachments? i know first-hand that that can make a big difference.

its pretty illogical that the removal of the ram would cause this, unless you physically affected it (like brushed it or bumped it or something). i'm sorry also that you only have 64 megs of ram now, i was there for quite a while, and my friends always laughed at me. :cry:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Here's a remote possibility to check. It almost sounds like your CPU fan controller is trying to keep it running at full speed. So, what is the chance that, in removing the RAM module, you nudged the CPU fan connector on the mobo so that it no longer provides a decent signal of fan speed to the mobo and its BIOS? Try disconnecting and re-connecting the CPU fan connector (a few times, gently) in case that cleans the contacts and fixes it.

You might also check in the BIOS if it has a way to display the CPU temperature. If the BIOS thinks it is high it will call for full cooling.

As a last thought, are you sure you did not loosen the CPU fan? If it were loose for a few moments it might not have made good contact again, and it may actually be doing a poor job of colling the CPU.

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I don't know how I could actualy describe the noise other than being loud. I could try and record the sound.

Also yes it is way slower with out that extra 64meg. Im just glad that its not my main computer

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
nah, you don't really need to record it unless you really wanna :lol:

i was just wondering if it was like a rending/skraping noise associated with uh... the de-lubed-ness of your fanning device. i'd check over the screws again for tightness, b/c rattling fans 'r stoopid. i've had to fight with mine.

i don't really know what to say. you've cleaned it already, and you didn't like smash it with a hammer. i don't know if its really running full-tilt, i think mine is like always maxed, and its pretty quiet (its an older soc. a cpu fan, go figure). at least its not your main computer, as you said, although it is still annoying. if its old enough, just take out the proc and make a sweet hip-hop medallion out of it. you'll be real cool at school. take my word for it. :lol:

sorry for the incohesive post, i just finished some beastly homework. best of luck.

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
LoL at the medallion thing. Any ways I will probly try and find a cheap ass fan on neweggs or somthing. Then try and sell it on craigslist for like $50.

twolfe18

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
i can't imagine why you would want to be using this computer anyway if you REMOVED 128 mb pc-100 ram... what does that leave still in it?

anywho, if the computer is that old and crappy, you might just want to try removing the fan altogether. old cpu's didnt generate that much heat.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
LoL at the medallion thing. Any ways I will probly try and find a cheap ass fan on neweggs or somthing. Then try and sell it on craigslist for like $50.

NO-HO-OHohho no nu uh negative no nope nu uh. $50? surely you jest. i can get like a soc A cooler, which is more recent probably (but still old), for easily under that. let me check prices, actually.... [checking]... yeah thats lookin like $5 on tha newegg. so i'd say neg to craig's list. booo to him/them/the establishment/whatever

i really did make a *pimpin' medallion out of an old pentium 2. it got me madd cred at a lan party, yo.

*Note: by "pimpin" i of course mean the exact polar opposite

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
What I ment was I will probly just get a cheap ass fan off of new egg for like $5 and then try and sell the computer for $50.

lol make a medallion out of a core 2 duo extream. See how much credit you get for that.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
What I ment was I will probly just get a cheap ass fan off of new egg for like $5 and then try and sell the computer for $50.

lol make a medallion out of a core 2 duo extream. See how much credit you get for that.

lol if i had enough to afford a c2d it wouldn't be anywhere near my neck, rather sweating its ass off working for me in my computer :twisted:

maybe if i had enough for two.... then i'd be cool 8)

alright, good, about the replacement fan: i was like "NO! $50=bad!" but selling the computer for $50, thats anti-bad (as in good). best of luck to you!