Sign in with
Your question

Old P3 933!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2006 2:04:00 AM

Hey, while I'm waiting for the new year (and enough cash) to replace my system. I'm stuck using my moms old Dell 4100, Pentium 3 933.

She pretty much only Web Surfs and plays online Bingo, but these days it's Taxing on her system. With a max Ram of 512mb ...

I'm not sure if she needs a C2D, unless it's still cheaper Vs others.

Any help is welcome

More about : 933

December 11, 2006 2:21:47 AM

When was the last time you did a system restore (format and re-install windows)? Over time Windows slows down a great deal as more and more programs are added. The computer is just being used for surfing and bingo so it should be more than adequate with a fresh install.

When you do raise the money you can build a nice C2D system that would run rings around the old P3.
December 11, 2006 2:46:46 AM

What is the price range? Also is she going to reuse parts. ex. Monitor, keyboard, mouse, cd/dvd, hard drive or does she want a complete system?
Related resources
December 11, 2006 11:26:54 AM

Yeah sorry I didn't say. I've got 2gigs of DDR ram from my old system that is still good. Keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers all reusable. and a videocard. So all I need is a CPU option for her. then the others will fall into place. possibly less than $500?
December 11, 2006 5:03:47 PM

If you want to keep/reuse DDR RAM then, assuming it's DDR-400, your best bang for the buck might be a closeout socket 939 system. Obviously there is no future upgrade potential if you go socket 939. But there's also not much upgrade potential for DDR RAM in general. (Is there?)

Is the video card PCI Express (hopefully) or AGP (less special)?

-john
December 11, 2006 9:45:40 PM

So is the vid card AGP or PCI-E. If your not going to play games and that vid card is as old as her system a integrated solution would probably be best.
December 11, 2006 9:52:04 PM

I know someone who wants to buy your system for $400 bucks!
December 11, 2006 10:08:13 PM

Lol. Is that the guy that just because he put a bunch of hard work into his system he thought he could sell for 400? And got all offended when we told him it was worth like 20$
December 11, 2006 10:35:54 PM

Quote:

that would be a steal! i mean, considering it probly cost 2000 when it first came out, it must be worth at least 600 now.

what worries me more is in a few years, when clock speeds get lower and lower with multiple cores, somebody will sell a 3.73 GHz pentium to some idiot for $10,000
December 11, 2006 10:47:22 PM

Quote:

what worries me more is in a few years, when clock speeds get lower and lower with multiple cores, somebody will sell a 3.73 GHz pentium to some idiot for $10,000

Id guarantee it if clock speeds get lower. But I don't think clock speeds will get lower and lower. They will go higher just at a much slower pace. The Core 2 duo is supposed to scale to 4ghz in q3 2007. link

Edit: I also read a Popular Science article a while back and it sais that we can manufacturer synthetic diamonds. And if we use those synthetic diamonds instead of silicon in microprocessors it said chips can theoretically scale to 81ghz.
December 12, 2006 12:36:49 AM

It's a Vsiontek Radeon 7k PCI not express. I guess i'll just toss the ddr ram some where. Was hoping to cut cost on her system since mine will be around $1500 hehe. I heard some where the Pentium D 805 was allright for power consumption?
December 12, 2006 12:47:48 AM

I would go with interated graphics thats a pretty old card. Also with a pentium D 820 instead of the 805. The 820 is only 5$ more, has a 800mhz fsb, and a higher clock speed of 140 mhz. For 5$ more I would choose that over an 805 except for overclocking because of the high multiplier of the 805 which would allow you to get cheaper ram and a lesser motherboard because the FSB wont be so high.

P.S. Don't throw out that perfectly good ram. You could easily find a mobo for the 820 or whatever that supports DDR.
December 12, 2006 2:12:05 AM

Ok here is a pretty good system the price before shipping and possibly tax is 300$.

Case:
Rosewill R604-P SL 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...
25$
I have a similar case to this one mine just uses 0.8mm secc instead of 0.6mm secc. Overall I think it's a pretty good case and the included fan has pretty descent air flow and has an OK noise level.

Case cooling fan:
SILVERSTONE, Model#: FN121
6$
Good airflow and decent noise level.

Power Supply:
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W
40$
Cheap decent power supply that has more than enough watts for this system and should last well into the future.

Motherboard:
ECS 865G-M8 (V1.0) Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 865G Micro ATX
43$
I don't think it overclocks if your into that kind of thing. Seems like a good board based on reviews and specs.

CPU:
Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775
96$
Cheap dual core processor thats fast for the price.

Ram:
You 2gb of DDR ram
FREE!

GPU
Integrated Intel Extreme 2
Included in Motherboard
Definitely nothing spectacular but it would wipe the floor with that old Radeon 7k.

Sound Card:
On board Realtek ALC655.
Included in Mobo.

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...
58$
Reliable hard drive that she would probably never feel up and only like 3$ more than the 80 gig model. This is also a Sata 3Gb/s that mobo only allows 1.5gGb/s so make sure you set the jumper on the drive for 1.5Gb/s.

DVD/CD Burner:
LG Black Super-Multi DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...
32$

I think that covers everything.
December 12, 2006 2:33:40 AM

LoL well, damn. Thanks =)
December 12, 2006 2:34:45 AM

Quote:
Edit: I also read a Popular Science article a while back and it sais that we can manufacturer synthetic diamonds. And if we use those synthetic diamonds instead of silicon in microprocessors it said chips can theoretically scale to 81ghz.

wow. I want 81 Ghz :( 
December 12, 2006 2:41:25 AM

I doubt it will ever get to 81ghz. Silicon is supposed to in theory scale 10 ghz but I don't ever see that happen because of heat, anything is possible though I guess and it may yet happen to hit close to 10ghz in the future if companies don't move to something better.

Edit: Also we may never see this diamond transistor because a University is making whats called a "ballistic transistor". Instead of having a current of electricity flow threw them like traditional transistors do and shut the current on and off. These shoot a single electron that bounces off deflectors in a certain way that represents a one or zero. Like for example when it bounces left it's a zero and if it bounces right its a one. You can control the electrons direction by having a negative and positive charge on each side of the transistor. So if one side has a positive charge the electron will be attracted to it and the negative side would repel it so that's how it would go either left or right. It is supposed to go over 1THZ thats 1,000ghz.

Can't remember where I read this at. I thought it was on Tom's but can't find the article. A google search of Ballistic transistor should reveal more info.
December 12, 2006 3:11:08 AM

Just for giggles I hunted for a package with some upgradability.

Intel BOXDP965LTCK Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor
Corsair 1GB PC4200 DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit
COOLER MASTER Centurion RC-534-SKR5 Silver Aluminum & Mesh bezel, SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s

Sorry for the lazy list, I should be in bed already. Early work day.

that's roughly $550. The Motherboard may or may not have onboard Video, but it's got audio and ethernet. Her PCI video card works well enough for what she needs anyways. I think I chose the right RAM, no OC so at 533 it should work well right?
December 12, 2006 3:46:33 AM

I think I should try to offer a dissenting opinion about the Pentium 820 suggestion.

If you go with a Core 2 system the only question is what to get besides the CPU. Well, that and if you can afford it. (Core 2 is not the cheapest processor out there).

However, if you go with a Pentium D, the question is instead what was wrong with the AMD options? When you go back to the land of the NetBurst Pentiums, space warps in on itself again and suddenly the AMD systems are the ones to pick. The AMDs are more likely to offer better performance/power trade-offs compared to the Pentiums.

Now it very well may be that Intel has dropped Pentium prices so low that it now makes sense to go that route simply because of the price. But I think you should still at least look in the AMD direction and verify that is the case.

One final thought. Whichever way you decide to go, get a system with PCI Express support. Buying a system with an AGP video slot keeps you with one foot firmly planted in the past. Getting something with PCIe and integrated video gives you some possible options in the future. Granted you may never need them, but IMO it's never a bad thing to have options.

-john
December 12, 2006 3:55:13 AM

Sorry, one other thought about upgrade I left out in my last post.

Can't you carry forward the CD (DVD?) and hard drive from the existing system? Seems that if you go with your existing DDR DRAM then what you're really looking for is a CPU, a motherboard with reasonably good integrated video, and probably a more reliable PSU. (May not technically need the PSU, but I'm not sure you should continue to place any trust in whatever it is that Dell stuck you with).

I suppose probably also a case. (Just how ugly is it inside of that Dell?)

-john
!