Live streaming video on webpage?

I want to stream a security camera over the net on a webpage but I'm unsure
which software to use. I intend to password protect the webpage so that
only myself and anyone else who I give the password to can access the site
(this is primarily to ensure that my bandwidth is not taken continually by
passing visitors 'just' browsing the page). I don't want to use FTP, as I
understand FTP will cause continuous bandwidth use, even if no-one is
watching the camera online. So what are my options? I would like to stream
the video so that activity is only there when someone is logged onto the
webpage. I understand this setup to be HTTP. It would also be nice if the
software could show how many people are logged in at any one time. Control
of how much bandwidth is given would also be nice, but not essential (I
could use netlimiter for this I presume).

I hope you might be able to suggest my best options of which software to
use. The most important option is to steer clear of FTP if this is going to
constantly take bandwidth even when no-one is connected to the webcam page.

Thank you.. John
10 answers Last reply
More about live streaming video webpage

    Sounds like WebcamXP is exactly what you need. There are shareware and full
    retail versions available, but there is also an older freeware version
    floating around out there if you look hard enough. I only stream live video
    from time to time, so I don't need lots of bells and whistles... but I
    think even the free version will do most of the things that you're asking
    for.

    Good luck.

    (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the free
    version... if you can't find it on your own, use groups.google.com to find
    my post and you'll find the app)

    --
    The Toe Pages:
    http://www.rubbertoe.com

    "Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Sounds like WebcamXP is exactly what you need. There are shareware and
    > full
    > retail versions available, but there is also an older freeware version
    > floating around out there if you look hard enough. I only stream live
    > video
    > from time to time, so I don't need lots of bells and whistles... but I
    > think even the free version will do most of the things that you're asking
    > for.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the free
    > version... if you can't find it on your own, use groups.google.com to
    > find
    > my post and you'll find the app)
    >
    > --
    > The Toe Pages:
    > http://www.rubbertoe.com

    Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
    Robert....

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:37:26 -0000, "John" <3456765@mail2me.com>
    wrote:

    >"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Sounds like WebcamXP is exactly what you need. There are shareware and
    >> full
    >> retail versions available, but there is also an older freeware version
    >> floating around out there if you look hard enough. I only stream live
    >> video
    >> from time to time, so I don't need lots of bells and whistles... but I
    >> think even the free version will do most of the things that you're asking
    >> for.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>
    >> (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the free
    >> version... if you can't find it on your own, use groups.google.com to
    >> find
    >> my post and you'll find the app)
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Toe Pages:
    >> http://www.rubbertoe.com
    >>

    >Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
    >Robert....

    Doing a google search for wxp_free.exe will produce a couple of
    sources, but you are on your own as to what they actually are (I
    noticed two different file sizes).

    > Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
    > Robert....
    maybe webcastXP Beta
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1055354765/1

    Released: June 11, 2003
    Publisher: darkwet network
    Homepage: webcastXP
    Downloads: 2,991
    License: Freeware
    OS Support: Windows (All)
    webcastXP Beta 3 betaPublisher's Description:
    webcastXP is a software that allows you to stream video & sound over
    LAN/Internet using Windows Media technology. It looks a bit like a
    simplified webcamXP and it's very easy to put your cams online and get the
    code you need for your website.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    John <3456765@mail2me.com> spewed:
    > "Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the
    >> free version... if you can't find it on your own, use
    >> groups.google.com to find
    >> my post and you'll find the app)

    > Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
    > Robert....

    I like trying to help people out, but man... it is better to help those
    that help themselves, yaknowwhutImean? Right there in my original post I
    told you that if you wanted to find the link to the free version, all you
    had to do was do a quick search at Google Groups for a post I made a few
    months ago. I found the post I was talking about in less than 3 seconds.
    Go here: http://tinyurl.com/3hwrn to find your link.

    Don't mind me... I'm a bit irritable today. :)

    --
    The Toe Pages:
    http://www.rubbertoe.com

    > I found the post I was talking about in less than 3 seconds.
    > Go here: http://tinyurl.com/3hwrn to find your link.

    yea, a simple search it turns up quickly, but
    the download links there don't work, not here at least. and I fiddled with
    it.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:26:46 GMT, "Robert J Batina"
    <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

    >John <3456765@mail2me.com> spewed:
    >> "Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the
    >>> free version... if you can't find it on your own, use
    >>> groups.google.com to find
    >>> my post and you'll find the app)
    >
    >> Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
    >> Robert....
    >
    >I like trying to help people out, but man... it is better to help those
    >that help themselves, yaknowwhutImean? Right there in my original post I
    >told you that if you wanted to find the link to the free version, all you
    >had to do was do a quick search at Google Groups for a post I made a few
    >months ago. I found the post I was talking about in less than 3 seconds.
    >Go here: http://tinyurl.com/3hwrn to find your link.
    >
    >Don't mind me... I'm a bit irritable today. :)

    I agree, your link is a dead end.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:26:46 GMT, "Robert J Batina"
    > <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
    >

    >>John <3456765@mail2me.com> spewed:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
    >>> Robert....
    >>
    >>I like trying to help people out, but man... it is better to help those
    >>that help themselves, yaknowwhutImean? Right there in my original post I
    >>told you that if you wanted to find the link to the free version, all you
    >>had to do was do a quick search at Google Groups for a post I made a few
    >>months ago. I found the post I was talking about in less than 3 seconds.
    >>Go here: http://tinyurl.com/3hwrn to find your link.
    >>
    >>Don't mind me... I'm a bit irritable today. :)
    >
    > I agree, your link is a dead end.

    No that link didn't work for me either, but when I got round to looking
    properly tonight, I
    found this link that does work...

    Just incase anyone else wants to have a go with the free version.... Here it
    is....

    http://nctuccca.nctu.edu.tw/ftp/Vendors/Softking/soft/en/w/wxp_free.exe

    Thanks to all...
    John
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    thanks John!
    > http://nctuccca.nctu.edu.tw/ftp/Vendors/Softking/soft/en/w/wxp_free.exe
    >
    > Thanks to all...
    > John

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    http://htn-r90kjwuglp6.ipupdater.com/stormi/stormi.htm

Webcams Peripherals