Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Live streaming video on webpage?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
November 18, 2004 11:56:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

I want to stream a security camera over the net on a webpage but I'm unsure
which software to use. I intend to password protect the webpage so that
only myself and anyone else who I give the password to can access the site
(this is primarily to ensure that my bandwidth is not taken continually by
passing visitors 'just' browsing the page). I don't want to use FTP, as I
understand FTP will cause continuous bandwidth use, even if no-one is
watching the camera online. So what are my options? I would like to stream
the video so that activity is only there when someone is logged onto the
webpage. I understand this setup to be HTTP. It would also be nice if the
software could show how many people are logged in at any one time. Control
of how much bandwidth is given would also be nice, but not essential (I
could use netlimiter for this I presume).

I hope you might be able to suggest my best options of which software to
use. The most important option is to steer clear of FTP if this is going to
constantly take bandwidth even when no-one is connected to the webcam page.

Thank you.. John
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 3:44:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Sounds like WebcamXP is exactly what you need. There are shareware and full
retail versions available, but there is also an older freeware version
floating around out there if you look hard enough. I only stream live video
from time to time, so I don't need lots of bells and whistles... but I
think even the free version will do most of the things that you're asking
for.

Good luck.

(helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the free
version... if you can't find it on your own, use groups.google.com to find
my post and you'll find the app)

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com
November 20, 2004 6:37:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:FO0nd.11956$T13.8326@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> Sounds like WebcamXP is exactly what you need. There are shareware and
> full
> retail versions available, but there is also an older freeware version
> floating around out there if you look hard enough. I only stream live
> video
> from time to time, so I don't need lots of bells and whistles... but I
> think even the free version will do most of the things that you're asking
> for.
>
> Good luck.
>
> (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the free
> version... if you can't find it on your own, use groups.google.com to
> find
> my post and you'll find the app)
>
> --
> The Toe Pages:
> http://www.rubbertoe.com
>

Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
Robert....
Related resources
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 9:10:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:37:26 -0000, "John" <3456765@mail2me.com>
wrote:

>
>"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>news:FO0nd.11956$T13.8326@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>> Sounds like WebcamXP is exactly what you need. There are shareware and
>> full
>> retail versions available, but there is also an older freeware version
>> floating around out there if you look hard enough. I only stream live
>> video
>> from time to time, so I don't need lots of bells and whistles... but I
>> think even the free version will do most of the things that you're asking
>> for.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the free
>> version... if you can't find it on your own, use groups.google.com to
>> find
>> my post and you'll find the app)
>>
>> --
>> The Toe Pages:
>> http://www.rubbertoe.com
>>
>
>Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
>Robert....

Doing a google search for wxp_free.exe will produce a couple of
sources, but you are on your own as to what they actually are (I
noticed two different file sizes).
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 10:12:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

>
> Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
> Robert....
maybe webcastXP Beta
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1055354765/1

Released: June 11, 2003
Publisher: darkwet network
Homepage: webcastXP
Downloads: 2,991
License: Freeware
OS Support: Windows (All)
webcastXP Beta 3 betaPublisher's Description:
webcastXP is a software that allows you to stream video & sound over
LAN/Internet using Windows Media technology. It looks a bit like a
simplified webcamXP and it's very easy to put your cams online and get the
code you need for your website.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 1:26:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

John <3456765@mail2me.com> spewed:
> "Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the
>> free version... if you can't find it on your own, use
>> groups.google.com to find
>> my post and you'll find the app)

> Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
> Robert....

I like trying to help people out, but man... it is better to help those
that help themselves, yaknowwhutImean? Right there in my original post I
told you that if you wanted to find the link to the free version, all you
had to do was do a quick search at Google Groups for a post I made a few
months ago. I found the post I was talking about in less than 3 seconds.
Go here: http://tinyurl.com/3hwrn to find your link.

Don't mind me... I'm a bit irritable today. :) 

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:32:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

> I found the post I was talking about in less than 3 seconds.
> Go here: http://tinyurl.com/3hwrn to find your link.

yea, a simple search it turns up quickly, but
the download links there don't work, not here at least. and I fiddled with
it.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 3:54:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:26:46 GMT, "Robert J Batina"
<rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>
>John <3456765@mail2me.com> spewed:
>> "Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the
>>> free version... if you can't find it on your own, use
>>> groups.google.com to find
>>> my post and you'll find the app)
>
>> Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
>> Robert....
>
>I like trying to help people out, but man... it is better to help those
>that help themselves, yaknowwhutImean? Right there in my original post I
>told you that if you wanted to find the link to the free version, all you
>had to do was do a quick search at Google Groups for a post I made a few
>months ago. I found the post I was talking about in less than 3 seconds.
>Go here: http://tinyurl.com/3hwrn to find your link.
>
>Don't mind me... I'm a bit irritable today. :) 

I agree, your link is a dead end.
November 23, 2004 4:14:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
news:419fe72d.683411023@news.comporium.net...
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:26:46 GMT, "Robert J Batina"
> <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>John <3456765@mail2me.com> spewed:
>>> "Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>> (helpful hint: I made a post a few months ago with the URL for the
>>>> free version... if you can't find it on your own, use
>>>> groups.google.com to find
>>>> my post and you'll find the app)
>>
>>> Does anyone know where I might find the freeware version?? Thanks
>>> Robert....
>>
>>I like trying to help people out, but man... it is better to help those
>>that help themselves, yaknowwhutImean? Right there in my original post I
>>told you that if you wanted to find the link to the free version, all you
>>had to do was do a quick search at Google Groups for a post I made a few
>>months ago. I found the post I was talking about in less than 3 seconds.
>>Go here: http://tinyurl.com/3hwrn to find your link.
>>
>>Don't mind me... I'm a bit irritable today. :) 
>
> I agree, your link is a dead end.

No that link didn't work for me either, but when I got round to looking
properly tonight, I
found this link that does work...

Just incase anyone else wants to have a go with the free version.... Here it
is....

http://nctuccca.nctu.edu.tw/ftp/Vendors/Softking/soft/e...

Thanks to all...
John
!