uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I have an intel 965 board and CRUCIAL TY2KIT12864AA663 ram.
The timings are 3 3 3 12, but my MB gives it more like 5 5 5 14 timing or something like that.
I manually set it to what it's supposed to be then the computer wouldnt turn on even after removing the cmos battery
So i took out the diag jumper and was able to fix it, but why is it that I cannot run at the correct timings?

halcyon

Splendid
Just so you know, you're not the only with this type of problem, I think its pretty common from what I've read.

I have a Gigabyte P965 DS3 with Corsair TwinX CM2X1024-6400CD memory that should have timings of 4-4-4-12...however, on this motherboard with the latest bios (F7) I have to settle for 5-5-5-12...not the kind of performance I paid for. I think the 965 chipsets are still youngish and its going to take some bios revisions before we see better memory performance.

G

I think you need to supply more voltage, 2.1V - 2.2V should do the trick.
If you leave the voltage at 1.8, I doubt you can get below Cas4 and even then...

halcyon

Splendid
Thanks Labbbby, I tried that all the way up to 2.2volts and all I got back, consistently, was the experience of clearing the CMOS, via jumper, to get the PC to boot. I even tried increasing the voltage to the processor...no change. I really do think the mobo just isn't ready with the current bios.

...or that Corsair Dominator ram is really cheesy ram just dressed nicely. 8O

G

Which revision of the dominator you got?

If it is the first revision you got, then it has D9 chips and gigabyte has/had quite a few issues with these chips.

I suggest you go read on gigabyte's forum and also Corsair (if they have some forums).

Sometimes it is a simple tweak in like drive strength or other obscure setting can make it work!

Good luck!

For the OP I think it's simply adding voltage