AMD TO PHASE OUT SOCKET 939

randomizer

Champion
AHH 8) ! Luckily I'm getting a sandy 3700 off a cousin for $AU40, so all I need is the mobo and pci-e video card now. I leave cheap hardware, free is better tho. I upgrade fairly rarely so I'm good. I need all new stuff every time I upgrade coz technology advances a few sockets by then.

MEGAWATTZ2000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Hmmm

decisions .. .

keep my 939 3800X2

or

Return it and buy a AM2 board, and save up yet more money for a AM2 3800X2 ... :x

or the hell with it and ..

Go to Intel :?

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
it doesnt matter if its amd or intel. they all change sockets eventually. hate to say it but its just something you have to get used to.

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
True, you can get a socket 754 board easy enough but try to get a CPU (The price will make you think twice)

I still have a few years left in my 939 and spare parts too. I new this was coming for some time. No biggy, I'll just do a new build when the time comes.

sailer

Splendid
This has been known for a long time. To top it off, so far I've seen nothing impressive performance wise about the AM2 series. So when a FX60 came along at a decent price, I bought it. Figure I can keep my present system going for another 6-12 months before needing to upgrade. Hope by then a significantly better cpu from AMD will come along. Otherwise, the next PC may have Intel inside.

randomizer

Champion
This has been known for a long time. To top it off, so far I've seen nothing impressive performance wise about the AM2 series.
There wasnt supposed to be a performance increase, it was a transition to phase out older tech like DDR1 RAM which is getting expensive as well as to fix up a few socket issues which they have (apparently, since I dont own an AM2 board) done.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
You need a 1gh thunderbird to go with that viva la socket A?
ah, my first homebuild...complete with 192 SDRAM...
still before they brought in sempron (which for me destroyed Socket A) it was great.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
You need a 1gh thunderbird to go with that viva la socket A?
ah, my first homebuild...complete with 192 SDRAM...
still before they brought in sempron (which for me destroyed Socket A) it was great.

Can i ask why you believe Sempron "destroyed" socket A?

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
All this will succeed in doing is pushing more people towards C2D. If you have to change memory and mobo anyway, why not go Intel? AMD should have supported 939 until they had a reasonable alternative to Intel's offering ready to go.

breedalot

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
the tile of the artical reads AMD to Phase Out Socket 939 Chips by Year End.
AMD’s New Form-Factor Rapidly Gains Popularity

i was though a form factor was atx, mini itx and so on on the socket type!

sailer

Splendid
All this will succeed in doing is pushing more people towards C2D. If you have to change memory and mobo anyway, why not go Intel? AMD should have supported 939 until they had a reasonable alternative to Intel's offering ready to go.

Amen :p

I'll second that Amen.

On a side note, my six month old Corsair PC3500LL Pro ram died and I had to RMA it. Corsair wrote back today and said the ram is oblsolete and they no longer stock it, so would I be willing to take some PC3200 ram instead? Oh yes, they apologize for the inconvenience. They did not offer to upgrade it to the next higher quality ram.

Any guesses where I think they can shove it?