Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about out of town service

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:32:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Has anyone have any experience with trying to get service out of town if
something goes wrong with their phone? I am going to school out of my
hometown and I would like to make sure if I needed service I could get it.
With Verizon I had no problems getting my phone swapped out or service even
though the store wasn't in my hometown. My roommate tried going to a
Cingular store because he was having troubles with dropping calls with his
phone and they wouldn't do anything because he didn't get the phone in town.
Thanks for your replies.

More about : question town service

December 3, 2004 2:32:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Depends on the shop if its a California phone it will have troubles because
the sim cards are different whiich I hope they fix
I was in Seattle when my phone died took it to a Cingular store left with a
new phone ( I dropped it in a river) 50 bucks later I had a new phone and
Yes I do own the insurance

"PG" <pgoin25@new.rr.com> wrote in message
news:FRSrd.5335$NO5.4546@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> Has anyone have any experience with trying to get service out of town if
> something goes wrong with their phone? I am going to school out of my
> hometown and I would like to make sure if I needed service I could get it.
> With Verizon I had no problems getting my phone swapped out or service
even
> though the store wasn't in my hometown. My roommate tried going to a
> Cingular store because he was having troubles with dropping calls with his
> phone and they wouldn't do anything because he didn't get the phone in
town.
> Thanks for your replies.
>
>
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:34:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <FRSrd.5335$NO5.4546@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
"PG" <pgoin25@new.rr.com> wrote:

> Has anyone have any experience with trying to get service out of town if
> something goes wrong with their phone? I am going to school out of my
> hometown and I would like to make sure if I needed service I could get it.
> With Verizon I had no problems getting my phone swapped out or service even
> though the store wasn't in my hometown. My roommate tried going to a
> Cingular store because he was having troubles with dropping calls with his
> phone and they wouldn't do anything because he didn't get the phone in town.
> Thanks for your replies.

Exactly, Cingular never fully integrated the separate pieces (Bell
South, Pac Bell, Ameritech, SNet etc) and treats them still as separate
profit centers, so different areas will do exactly what your roommate
reports.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 5:45:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:32:02 -0600, "PG" <pgoin25@new.rr.com> said in
alt.cellular.cingular:

>My roommate tried going to a
>Cingular store because he was having troubles with dropping calls with his
>phone and they wouldn't do anything because he didn't get the phone in town.

Did he buy from the company or from an independent dealer? Did he try
to get service at a company store or an independent? Was the phone in
warranty? If not did he have insurance?
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 7:04:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <FRSrd.5335$NO5.4546@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com> on Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:32:02
-0600, "PG" <pgoin25@new.rr.com> wrote:

>Has anyone have any experience with trying to get service out of town if
>something goes wrong with their phone? I am going to school out of my
>hometown and I would like to make sure if I needed service I could get it.
>With Verizon I had no problems getting my phone swapped out or service even
>though the store wasn't in my hometown. My roommate tried going to a
>Cingular store because he was having troubles with dropping calls with his
>phone and they wouldn't do anything because he didn't get the phone in town.
>Thanks for your replies.

That was probably a dealer, not a real Cingular store. (It's hard to tell the
difference, because dealers look the same.) A real Cingular store will help
you no matter where you bought your phone as long as its a supported handset.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 7:03:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:04:53 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>That was probably a dealer, not a real Cingular store. (It's hard to tell the
>difference, because dealers look the same.) A real Cingular store will help
>you no matter where you bought your phone as long as its a supported handset.

A good dealer will also arrange a handset swap for you, John, even if
you didn't buy the phone there. It only "costs" a toll-free call and
a few minutes of time. The customer can do it himself, but we always
do it as a courtesy, regardless of where the phone was purchased.

(And a smart dealer knows that you can't buy advertising like that for
any amount of money.)
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 1:44:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I am pretty sure he bought from a corporate store, but I am not
completely sure. I am positive that the store we visited was a
corporate store. His phone is less than six months old so it should
still be in warranty, but I don't think he had insurance.

Basically what happened was this, we walked in and the person asked if
she could help us. He stated that he had been having problems with
dropping calls, people not being able to hear him, etc. He is on a
family plan and apparently his parents said they got information that
there were problems with the originals x427's (not the x427m) so he
mentioned that to the person. The person said she wasn't aware of any
problems and asked where he got the phone. He said he got it back
home in Illinois (we were at a Milwaukee store). She said that
because it was an Illinois number he would have to take to the store
down there or he could call an 800 number that she gave him. So it
basically never got to the point of where he bought the phone, whether
he had insurance, etc. As soon as she found out it was an Illinois
number she said there was nothing she could do.


Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote in message news:<s492r01dk657aafjiisnfv45gb8ueq17ca@4ax.com>...
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:32:02 -0600, "PG" <pgoin25@new.rr.com> said in
> alt.cellular.cingular:
>
> >My roommate tried going to a
> >Cingular store because he was having troubles with dropping calls with his
> >phone and they wouldn't do anything because he didn't get the phone in town.
>
> Did he buy from the company or from an independent dealer? Did he try
> to get service at a company store or an independent? Was the phone in
> warranty? If not did he have insurance?
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:13:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On 5 Dec 2004 10:44:43 -0800, pgoin25@new.rr.com (PG) said in
alt.cellular.cingular:

>I am pretty sure he bought from a corporate store, but I am not
>completely sure. I am positive that the store we visited was a
>corporate store. His phone is less than six months old so it should
>still be in warranty, but I don't think he had insurance.

>Basically what happened was this, we walked in and the person asked if
>she could help us. He stated that he had been having problems with
>dropping calls, people not being able to hear him, etc. He is on a
>family plan and apparently his parents said they got information that
>there were problems with the originals x427's (not the x427m) so he
>mentioned that to the person. The person said she wasn't aware of any
>problems and asked where he got the phone. He said he got it back
>home in Illinois (we were at a Milwaukee store). She said that
>because it was an Illinois number he would have to take to the store
>down there or he could call an 800 number that she gave him. So it
>basically never got to the point of where he bought the phone, whether
>he had insurance, etc. As soon as she found out it was an Illinois
>number she said there was nothing she could do.

The way to win customers and hold them - NOT!
!