KVM and Windows 7 compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJTB

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
I'm not sure if this should be located in the Windows 7 forum, but I did not see a KVM appropriate forum.

A friend asked me to setup her new Windows 7 Home Premium machine and her old Dell Dimension 4700 with windows xp. She bought a Belkin FLIP USB with audio to accomplish this somewhat, however the windows 7 pc seems to be causing issues as far as i can tell. At random times the keyboard will not switch during a flip but you can flip again and it corrects. It also would sometimes get the KB/mouse on one computer and the monitor on the other, which was not fixable by her. The only solution being to fully unplug the KVM and let it power down for a few seconds and then rehook it up to the running PCs. She's not really prepared to do that for a KVM that should be simple. Belkin's website does not claim compatibility with Windows 7 or 64bit, so can anyone recommend a KVM that has "fully" compatible drivers for Windows 7 64bit? The belkin flip will generally work with a little troubleshooting despite it not being supported on win7 64, but she doesn't want to do "any troubleshooting" and just wants it to work all the time.

Solution

VJTB

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2590/kw/belkin%20flip/r_id/166
These were the drivers I used on both machines

I'm perfectly fine telling her she has to get on the floor and unplug both computers VGA and USB, wait for 5 seconds, then plug one back in first, then the other... she just don't really want to do that everytime she boots the computers.

The replaced switch ended up working better than the older one, both the same model. However half the time the keyboard does not switch to the windows 7 pc, but re-switching solves this. I'm just going to say it was a broken unit and the rest is not having fully compatible drivers. I couldn't find anything for a KVM that works with 64bit fully with no problems.

prokvm

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008

ConnectPRO new UR-12+ or UR-14+ models with USB DDM technology which provide true USB device mapping to each connected systems. This USB DDM patented technology is the only solution for sharing among Windows 7 systems.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.