8800GTS/GTX Will they fit into a Mid ATX case?

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
it should, measure your case, thats the only way to know for certain, the GTS isn't that big, i would be worried about the GTX its some 11" long

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
An 8800GTX is 10.5 inches long. A standard-ATX motherboard is 9.6 inches deep, so the card will hang about an inch off of a motherboard. I have eVga 8800GTX on a Striker Extreme and a TT Kandalf case and it fits perfectly. If you have the case with you there it can help you decide. mid ATX case might fit but you might have to adjust your hard drives thats my guess.

Check this site it might help you.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1115861

The Thermaltake Soprano looks like it might have trouble with the 8800GTX
11-133-145-06.JPG

The Thermaltake Swing looks like it has some extra space where a 8800GTX would hang off the back of the motherboard.
11-133-172-08.jpg

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
As several people have said already, measure your case from the PCI bracket area and to the right 10.5 inches.

I have heard many people say that their GTX extends just to the edge of their mobo. As this is no general rule for all mobos I'd measure it out but I would say "most likely" the GTX will fit in most cases where there is at least a little room to the right of the mobo edge. Thats hearsay tho so don't say I said it as absolute fact :).

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I have 2 watercooled 8800 GTX's (1 slot wide each) on a striker extreme in an antec p180 case, fits just fine.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
As several people have said already, measure your case from the PCI bracket area and to the right 10.5 inches.

I have heard many people say that their GTX extends just to the edge of their mobo. As this is no general rule for all mobos I'd measure it out but I would say "most likely" the GTX will fit in most cases where there is at least a little room to the right of the mobo edge. Thats hearsay tho so don't say I said it as absolute fact :).

I do not have the case yet... so I cannot measure it. I was trying to decide whether or not I should buy the case based on whether an 8800GTX would fit in it but I might be happy if a GTS fits in it too.

I will only have one hard drive to start off with and I don't foresee adding more.

Hehe what if a GTX could fit if it extended into the internal drive bay 8O

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I have the Thermaltake Tsunami case, and had to notch the HD cage on the MB side of the case.

A 1/2" or so notch allowed the GTX to fit.

GTX extends a smidge over 1" past my P5B deluxe wifi MB.

Dremel and I took about 10 minutes to notch ( halfmoon shape) the HD cage and put my two HDs back in.

I have a clear side window with fan, and the notch is not visible from the outside looking in.

mrbuzz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hi guys

I had an Antec Atlas case which I though would have been big enough for a 8800GTX however I needed to go at one of the drive mountings with some tins snips so it could fit in.

billystringer

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I did see one report of a GTX fitting in a Soprano case.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1959556

Hooray! thats so much help seriously thanksa lot :D

Dude, I'm not here to try to change anybody's mind, and if your heart is set on an 8800, then I say go for it.

But if you can wait, then do it. Wait for the ATI response, because we just don't know yet. The red team's response could smoke this card. If nothing else it will be more competition, driving down prices. I know, I was an early adopter one time, and after a month I regretted it every day. Just thought I'd give you my 2 cents. :D

-The String

TRENDING THREADS