suggestions for hdtv support video card?

animedown

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Just bought a new plasma 42" tv. From the instruction manual my tv supports dvi and has HDMI Interface. I want to hook it up to my computer for watching movies. It would be mainly used for watching movies not games. Yeah I don't really know much about video card. Looking for some cheap video card that have high definition output. A friend of mine recommends 7600, but im curious to know would the cheap $50 video cards that have dvi output outputs high definition? After all, I only need a video card to play movies not to render crazy 3d game graphics.

Also what sound card would you recommend, that would output to a 5.1 CH receiver

cleeve

Illustrious
If it's video and graphics you want in a cheap package, the 7600 GT is the way to go. The 7600 supposedly supports inverse telecine in HD (I don't think the Radeons will do that in HD video yet), and makes for a decent gamer at $130 ish.

If you can afford more, and are into the gaming side, the 7900 GS is well worth the upgrade at about $180.

icepop456

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Although the 7600GT can do more, most people I know are very content with a 6600GT. That is what I use and recommend. You can find one for about $85 now. If you are slightly into games, etc, then it may be worth aiming for the typical $150 - $200 range. I use the 6600GT, nVidia decoders, and HDTVpump (mainly needed for XBOX360).

I don't have too much experience with sound cards as the digital out from most motherboards is sufficient. I use my Denon receiver to do the decoding.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
to be honest, I'd wait until there is a guaranteed HDCP card on the market.

For $50, the Nvidia 6200 is a good one, being passively cooled and having built in HDTV encoding. The newest forceware drivers also make it pretty easy to hook up an Nvidia card to an HDTV source.

animedown

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
So interms of video card just for watching movies Nvidia 6200 and 7600 GT will basicly do the same thing?

whats HDCP card? Something relating to rendering blu-ray movies on a computer and displaying it on the tv?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions greatly appreciate it.

cleeve

Illustrious
So interms of video card just for watching movies Nvidia 6200 and 7600 GT will basicly do the same thing?

A 7600 GT can display 1080p, I believe. The 6200 is probably limited to 720p.

You probably want a card with HDMI outputs too...

animedown

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
oh wicked, HDMI is the output that outputs high definition video quality that could come out of dvi cable right? and HDMI also outputs audio as well? Sounds convenient. Hm which video card that output high definition HDMI output would you recommend, and the price range for it. Also if I use HDMI to connect my computer to tv. Would the audio be connected to my receiver through HDMI? How would I go about in doing so.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I don't know of any HDMI-equipped cards out on the market right now. If there are some, it's news to me. I would assume, even with an HDMI connector or some sort of facotry HDMI dongle, you'd still have to hook up your audio from the audio card itself.

With a DVI-I to HDMI adaptor you should be good to go, other than the whole HDCP thing, which eventually is supposed to put the kabosh on transmitting HD content overy any component or DVI connection. We'll see how that pans out.

As for the 6200's capabilities, A quick google search seems to show that the 6200 can in fact run 1080p. The 6200TC may have a problem with it, as it has very little onboard memory, but a regular apg/pci express 6200 seems to run 1080p fine. Not a huge concern either way, as a lot of HDTVs can't display 1080p anyway.

ooo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131029

Here is a better choice in performance and price and its HDCP ready ...
even if you dont have any HDTV ready don´t worry there are many torrent programs that can download HDTV movies like riddick 1080p and play well because this movies are not HDCP protected... they obtain them via satellite ...and the extensio is .TS so play like file with the powerdvd and presto...

Just make sure of the powerdvd version for the AVIVO ATI support ...

Likewise you can use adapters from dvi to HDMI and avoid HDCP detection ...

cleeve

Illustrious
Here is a better choice in performance and price and its HDCP ready ...
even if you dont have any HDTV ready don´t worry there are many torrent programs that can download HDTV movies like riddick 1080p and play well because this movies are not HDCP protected...

Price yes, performance - no.

A 7600 GT will not only kick an X1600 in games, but the X1600 will output 780p max. Doesn't have the power to do 1080.

The 7600 GT will output 1080, and with inverse telecine...

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
There are HDMI equipped cards on the market, but HDMI and DVI are the same, the only differences being that DVI *can* carry analogue and HDMI *can* carry audio.

As such you can buy cheap DVI-HDMI adaptors for £5/$10 or so anyway.

HDMI also assures you of HDCP support, although HDCP is possible over DVI, not all DVI devices support it.

Some 7600's do, and all G80 based GPUs have full HDCP support.

All that HDCP is is a copy protection standard designed to stop you recording the DVI/HDMI signal - think macrovision on DVDs that screws up recording to VHS.

The only time HDCP is an issue is if you have a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive in the system and want to watch videos from these.

If you don't have either of those drives, then don't worry about HDCP. By the time those drives are affordable, there will more than likely be $30 HDCP supporting gfx cards available.

cleeve

Illustrious
Yep, all that's true. But Still, you need the clockspeeds of the 7600 GT to render 1080p, and I think that's important.

Blu-ray/HD-DVDs are going to come into their own over the next year or two, hell you'll be able to buy an HD-DVD drive for about $200 soon, and this guy said he's looking for hi-def.

If he just wants to play DVDs, any card with component outputs will be fine. But if he wants to be prepared for a hi-def 1080p, he's going to need a 7600 GT or better.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I also forgot that alot of Hidef DVB-T and DVB-S broadcasters are (or will be) using HDCP aren't they?

I'm guessing the OP is based in the US and I don't know much about the HDTV broadcasters over there being as I'm in the UK, but having thought a little more HDCP support may be more important than just a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD issue.

Something like this which has a HDMI out (and so supports HDCP) would be ideal :)

ooo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Hello Cleeve :

Im using now a x1300 his turbo edition (600 gpu , 800 DDR) ans iam playing riddick 1080p and weight almost 11 gb... thats a lot (3 standard dvds) and i can asure you this card can do the job and only cost me 100 dollars in newegg ... you need the program to support ati AVIVO
Like nvidia purevideo used for the windows a lot time ago ...because beleive or not i played this movie with purevideo in a fx5700 le msi, so the codecs are incredible important to run 1080p (in case of nvidia) my cpu was back then athlon 2000+ and 768 ram ddr standard so just imaging what a good processor and the codecs can do¡¡¡¡ i run 1080p riddick in a pentium iV 2.4 and the playback go to the hell ... eve an athlon palomino 1.8 processor did it well¡¡¡¡ ... my recomendation by any ati over 500 mhz core clock (GPU) and say goodbye ... but in games you will not be so lucky... im from south america so forgive my bad english ...

At the begining nvidia allows you to download the purevideo codecs know you cant so download via torrent or other way because it can improvethe performance of the cpu by 20 or 30 % and i think that they include them in their new drivers (i caný confirm this) ... also i recomend ngohq.com for the ati drivers a lot better in performance that craptalist center...

i want to put some images that i capture from riddick 1080 p vs the original dvd (480p aprox) standard but i dont know how, if you know it please make me know how to do it...thanks...

Also notice that i run fear at 800 x 600 at maximun detail and the specs that fear shows are : 30 fps minimun fps / 43 average fps / 122 maximun fps... you can play but not very well at higher resolutions .. i have an athlon 3000+ 400 bus motherboard asus a7v600-x same 768 ram ddr and 450 power supply unit... i just saying that with this specs i run 1080p without stops ... thanks 4 your attentions american fellows...

[/img]

cleeve

Illustrious
At the begining nvidia allows you to download the purevideo codecs know you cant so download via torrent or other way because it can improvethe performance of the cpu by 20 or 30 % and i think that they include them in their new drivers (i caný confirm this) ... also i recomend ngohq.com for the ati drivers a lot better in performance that craptalist center...

I just handed in a Purevideo vs AVIVO review, I actually found that Nvidia cards used much MORE cpu power with hardware acceleration enabled, when playing regular DVDs... which was very odd.

I'll be digging into the HD stuff in part 2 in a month or two. As far as your X1300 playing 1080p, that's not what the specs say. But if it works, more power to you... more stuff I'll be digging into in that review.

As for Catalyst drivers, I'm still not sure what everyone's on about. You open the driver and change settings just like any other driver... yes, it takes a couple seconds to launch it. But it there anything else wrong with it? I don't get what everyone's big issue is.

ooo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I forgot to mention that the previous pics, were taken 6 months ago when i had the fx5700le msi and you can see it with effort at the left down corner of the screen (Nvidia logo), i have the original pics in 1600 x 1200.. but the magic webpage edit them at 800x512... sorry about that
If you know other way to upload the pics in higher res let me know...if you are interested of course...

TRENDING THREADS