Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Guide Part 1: Risks, Choices and Benefits

Last response: in Overclocking
December 11, 2006 10:35:49 AM

Who overclocks? Why should anyone consider it? Before looking at the finer details of the technique, we first consider the benefits and risks with respect to a few main components.
December 11, 2006 12:05:34 PM

Excellent article overall. A few moot points:

"If you have just overclocked your system and the first thing you do is use it to start writing your dissertation, don't be surprised if a system crash occurs which causes you to lose all your data."

This should be unsaved data, since as far as I know an OC'd CPU melting into magma is not going to affect any data written to an HD.

"80 degrees Celsius is a temperature that nobody is able to touch for longer than 1/10 second. I have never come across a CPU at this temperature."

Dr. Tom, ever heard of Pentium D or Prescotts? Some of those #$%& chips idle at damn near 80C on stock HSF, and not much below that on killer coolers!

"Cooling is the Numero Uno Oncho in overclocking!"

I was able to only come up with one English language reference to Numero Uno Oncho and it referred to a Lithuanian basketball team. I have no idea what Uno Oncho means. I know Ocho Cinco is the Bengals' Chad Johnson, but that's about it.

"Electromigration"

References to Electromigration should be immediately edited out before the Bush Administration reads it. They'll likely react by announcing a $7 billion wall to prevent Electromigration. :lol: 

"A few die-hard stability fanatics who would never consider such frivolity."

Hate to admit it but that's me. If OCing would give me, say, double the performance, I'd be tempted to risk turning my case into Dr. Frankenstein's Lab. But what are you going to get? 15% if the planets are lined up and the moon is in the seventh house? With the significantly increased risk that your shiny new $1000 QX6700 is going to turn into a fireworks display? Nah. That's just plain silly, if not outright vandalism. Want a faster chip, then work a few hours of overtime and go buy one.

Now I know that the rabid OCers are gonna flame me worse than a Pentium D without an HSF Folding molecules in Hell. But that's what I think. OCing is a rather pointless "my dick is bigger than yours" exercise.

What did Johnny Storm say?

"FLAME ON!"

:lol: 
December 11, 2006 12:45:21 PM

Notice a lot of Tom's quotes are from 1997, where Prescott's were pre-conception...

Eh, nice article, some of the info seems a bit dated, but a lot of the fundamental theory remains the same.
Related resources
December 11, 2006 12:56:07 PM

Quote:

Now I know that the rabid OCers are gonna flame me worse than a Pentium D without an HSF Folding molecules in Hell. But that's what I think. OCing is a rather pointless "my dick is bigger than yours" exercise.

What did Johnny Storm say?

"FLAME ON!"

Alot of things people do are rather pointless. Why do people sink thousands of dollars into cars to make them go faster when the average speed limit is 50mph? Its a hobby. I tell you one thing for certain tho, if i could spend $100 and get my car to go twice as fast, I'd do that in a hearbeat. However since that will never happen, I'll sink that $100 into my new E6400 and get an 80% perfomace boost. Sounds like a good deal to me =). Nothing like having a 200 dollar chip performing like a 1000 doallar chip. And i didnt even have to work overtime to do it.

+OCNewb+ -- Hung better than CaptRobertApril
December 11, 2006 1:10:40 PM

Quote:

Alot of things people do are rather pointless. Why do people sink thousands of dollars into cars to make them go faster when the average speed limit is 50mph? Its a hobby. I tell you one thing for certain tho, if i could spend $100 and get my car to go twice as fast, I'd do that in a hearbeat. However since that will never happen, I'll sink that $100 into my new E6400 and get an 80% perfomace boost. Sounds like a good deal to me =). Nothing like having a 200 dollar chip performing like a 1000 doallar chip. And i didnt even have to work overtime to do it.

+OCNewb+ -- Hung better than CaptRobertApril

As for the "hung", wanna compare un-photoshopped photos? :lol: 

As I said, if I can double my performance, it'd be worth a shot. I was not aware that an E6400 could benchmark at 180% of stock in OC, and I'd like some other forum frequenters to confirm that. Now that would be more than worth it and would definitely defuse my argument.

I would definitely invest $100 to go twice as fast. Especially if it was a chick! :twisted:
December 11, 2006 1:15:21 PM

See my sig =)

Its not uncommon to see the E6400 (stock 2.13ghz) OC'd to 3.2-4ghz on air, with the addition of a couple extra fans and a good aftermarket HSF. Which would prolly run you less that $75 total.

Quote:
As for the "hung", wanna compare un-photoshopped photos?

I thought u said you werent into these kinds of things?

ps..ive seen the un-edited version of your sig, im pretty sure it will give anyman nigtmares, scuurry!.
December 11, 2006 1:52:43 PM

Interesting article, but I am looking forward to a "how to" because I have not been terribly successful in understanding other articles I have read about the "how to" subject. I have been able to OC a little bit on my Abit AN X, with an AMID 4800+ but not seriously. With all the different memory settings and BIOS settings, I really get confused.

I am looking to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo and 8800 TX, but that will not be until the later part of the first quarter 2007, so now is the time to experiment.
December 11, 2006 2:05:45 PM

Quote:

"80 degrees Celsius is a temperature that nobody is able to touch for longer than 1/10 second. I have never come across a CPU at this temperature."

Dr. Tom, ever heard of Pentium D or Prescotts? Some of those #$%& chips idle at damn near 80C on stock HSF, and not much below that on killer coolers!

"Cooling is the Numero Uno Oncho in overclocking!"

I was able to only come up with one English language reference to Numero Uno Oncho and it referred to a Lithuanian basketball team. I have no idea what Uno Oncho means. I know Ocho Cinco is the Bengals' Chad Johnson, but that's about it.

Are you serious about the idle temps on Prescotts? I think you are helping propagate an urban legend. Mine has never gone above 50C even at full load on stock HSF and OCed from 2.8 GHz to 3.57 GHz (that's a 27.5% gain) and dare to say it can go beyond 4.3 if it weren't for my cursed Cheapazaki MoBo. I mean no offense but... Are you putting enough thermal goo on your processor die?

About the Numero Uno Oncho: It's supposed to be Spanish but Oncho is wrong, perhaps he meant Ocho so my translation is Number One Eight. By the way it's "enchiladas" not enchaladas :p  .

Saludos
December 11, 2006 2:18:16 PM

Quote:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.7ghz (463x8)

Impressive OC. I on the other hand doesn´t no shit about OC. I´m planning to buy a Core 2 Duo E6600 and overclock it to 2,67Ghz(as stock C2D E6700). May be modest but as I said, I know zilch about OC. Maybe maybe will I try to get to the next multiplier(2,93Ghz).

Another question. C2D E6400 has 2X1Mb Cache as opposite to E6600 and above(which have 2x2Mb). Can you OC the cache and if not so, what´s the benefit of the extra 100% cache in E6600?
December 11, 2006 2:34:53 PM

Love ya work guys, another great article.

I would have to be the biggest OC Noob out there and would spend all night gleaning info from these forums but might i be so rude to ask that somewhere within it could you do some OC results/specs of a high end 939, AM2, P4 & C2D?
December 11, 2006 2:35:27 PM

No real bene going form the 2mb cache(E6400) to the 4mb cache(E6600). There is a slight performance difference,(like 5% i think?). But why shell out 300 extra bucks for that chip? Get the 6400, even if u know nothing about overclocking you can get it to 3.2ghz with the stock hsf ant stock vcore. Just up the FSB to 400 and change the memory to 1:1. Two settings, very simple.
December 11, 2006 2:42:30 PM

Quote:
As I said, if I can double my performance, it'd be worth a shot. I was not aware that an E6400 could benchmark at 180% of stock in OC, and I'd like some other forum frequenters to confirm that. Now that would be more than worth it and would definitely defuse my argument

E6300 at OC 188% of stock (1.86 to 3.5)...in air and very stable. Core Temps at 60C loaded.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=145591
December 11, 2006 2:45:27 PM

Quote:

Are you serious about the idle temps on Prescotts? I think you are helping propagate an urban legend. Mine has never gone above 50C even at full load on stock HSF and OCed from 2.8 GHz to 3.57 GHz (that's a 27.5% gain) and dare to say it can go beyond 4.3 if it weren't for my cursed Cheapazaki MoBo. I mean no offense but... Are you putting enough thermal goo on your processor die? About the Numero Uno Oncho: It's supposed to be Spanish but Oncho is wrong, perhaps he meant Ocho so my translation is Number One Eight. By the way it's "enchiladas" not enchaladas.

Hermano, que pasa?

Claro! Yo he comido millares de enchiladas. Ah! Podia conseguir buenas enchiladas aqui! Cono!

I have never had the privilege and honour of owning a fine Prescott. I was stuck with those horrible Athlon 64s that would chew up Prescotts and spit them out and still save ya $200 a pop. :lol:  (Hard to believe that I'm turning into an Intel Fanboy now, huh?) However, I had this buddy who had a Prescott 3.2, boxstock no OC. Now this guy knew his stuff so the HSF (Big Typhoon) was properly seated, AC5'd, etc. etc. etc. He even had one of those thermal sensor gun thingies so that he could get the exact temps under the chip, and all that crap.

Well, he could never get it to idle under 52C, and when he'd run loops he once saw 101C. Don't tell me that there is thermal throttling and that's impossible. I know that's how it is supposed to work and it never ever ever throttled back. He even screwed around with the two different types of throttling. No dice. He was checkin' around with other guys who had similar chips (this was before Pentium Ds) and about half of them were reporting really high temps (although I have to admit I never heard of anyone else breaking over 100C!!!)

And you know the weirdest thing? The back of the case where the chip was would get so hot that you could iron a shirt back there and the SOB never ever crashed. The damn chip just kept plugging along at temps that would melt Satan's hardon.

Beats me how it did it! :?
December 11, 2006 2:50:43 PM

Quote:

As for the "hung", wanna compare un-photoshopped photos?

I thought u said you werent into these kinds of things?

ps..ive seen the un-edited version of your sig, im pretty sure it will give anyman nigtmares, scuurry!.

Yeah, but when you have 2.5 glorious inches of throbbing python of lust, you just have to show it off. :p 

Dude, I dunno what kinda drugs KFed was smokin' but you'd have to be blindfolded to plough that furrow. Yuck. I know it's popped two kids, but still... Yuck! 8O

Quote:
As I said, if I can double my performance, it'd be worth a shot. I was not aware that an E6400 could benchmark at 180% of stock in OC, and I'd like some other forum frequenters to confirm that. Now that would be more than worth it and would definitely defuse my argument

E6300 at OC 188% of stock (1.86 to 3.5)...in air and very stable. Core Temps at 60C loaded.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=145591

Ladies and germs, please turn your attention to the centre ring where Capt. Bob will now eat his shorts. Yum yum yum.

188% of stock is damn impressive. I hereby stand corrected and formally retract my comments disparaging OCers! :D 
December 11, 2006 2:53:22 PM

Quote:
But why shell out 300 extra bucks for that chip?

First of all. I live in Sweden(as you may have read). Here the cpu´s are about 30% more expensive than in US. Still the difference between the E6400 and E6600 is less than 150$ and even though the u$ has weakened more than 13% comparing to the swedish currency the last year. OK, paying roughly 150$ for 5% extra perfomance may seem stupid but then again: How stupid is the guy that buys a Core 2 Extreme X6800 which is three times more expensive than the E6600??? Propably very stupid but rich I suppose :wink:

Seriously, the answer to your question is this simple: I will buy the C2D E6600 before E6400 BECAUSE it will get more stable at 2,93Ghz than E6400 will.
December 11, 2006 3:05:16 PM

It will be interesting to see if Pt 2 mentions max die temperatures of different CPU's varying from 55c (some A64) to 100c (Pentium M). And how much the lower load temperature effects the end overclock.
December 11, 2006 3:37:09 PM

Quote:

I have never had the privilege and honour of owning a fine Prescott. I was stuck with those horrible Athlon 64s that would chew up Prescotts and spit them out and still save ya $200 a pop. :lol:  (Hard to believe that I'm turning into an Intel Fanboy now, huh?) However, I had this buddy who had a Prescott 3.2, boxstock no OC. Now this guy knew his stuff so the HSF (Big Typhoon) was properly seated, AC5'd, etc. etc. etc. He even had one of those thermal sensor gun thingies so that he could get the exact temps under the chip, and all that crap.

Well, he could never get it to idle under 52C, and when he'd run loops he once saw 101C. Don't tell me that there is thermal throttling and that's impossible. I know that's how it is supposed to work and it never ever ever throttled back. He even screwed around with the two different types of throttling. No dice. He was checkin' around with other guys who had similar chips (this was before Pentium Ds) and about half of them were reporting really high temps (although I have to admit I never heard of anyone else breaking over 100C!!!)

Beats me how it did it! :?

Yeah I know 64 were the hip back then but they arrived 'bout 1 year after the prescotts to my country, and I got my processor at rip off price thanks to a typo on a newspaper ad :twisted: (they swapped the price of the 2.8 GHz prescott with the 1.6 GHz Celeron's, saved like $250 back then).

I have to believe you about the temps, it's just that in my experience going that high on temps usually is the aftermath to the visit of lil miss blue smoke fairy and her friend the smells-like-dog-biscuit imp.

I've tried clockgen and cpucool, they are nice and quite stable, but both lack critical parts needed to do a good OC: Locking up the PCI frecuency and changing the FSB:Mem ratio.

About the enchalada thing, it's just that it's too funny for me to find out that on my puny bro's spelling bee contest guide too many spanish-origin words were wrong. Being a native spanish-speaking person it's laughable that the US-Gov does not check the publications before distributing them nationwide :roll:
December 11, 2006 3:46:41 PM

Quote:
But why shell out 300 extra bucks for that chip?

Seriously, the answer to your question is this simple: I will buy the C2D E6600 before E6400 BECAUSE it will get more stable at 2,93Ghz than E6400 will.

Im lost, stable is stable. There is no "more stable". They have tests to stress your computer to be sure its stable. Just because the E6600 is .3ghz faster doesnt make it more stable. It all comes down to the mobo, cpu and mem. If you get the correct components for the job then you should have no problems with your 6600. But if your going for a modest OC of 2.9-3ghz, the 6400 will accomplish that task with ease with stock HSF, and be 100% stable.

But hey its your money, do with it as you wish.
December 11, 2006 4:12:27 PM

Good article. I have a fair amount of overclocking experience with CPU's and GPU's and have reaped it benifits over the years. Always just air cooling. This may seem silly but I never overclock a new cpu or gpu I usually wait a year or so or when it is starting to get a little slow then I over clock the hell out of it. :wink:
December 11, 2006 4:44:59 PM

Hmm I still think that the propability that the cpu will be unstable is higher with a weaker cpu(maybe the difference is negligible but anyway). Still, I don´t need to OC the cpu to 3,4Ghz. 2,93 will be fine. Mobo is important so I want to know if Asus P5B(vanilla) is enough for overlocking to a modest 2,93Ghz?

Is Geil DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Ultra 4-4-4-12 good for OC?
December 11, 2006 4:45:48 PM

Quote:
funnyvlad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:18 am Post subject: Re: Overclocking Guide Part 1: Risks, Choices and Benefits
Quote:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.7ghz (463x8)

Impressive OC. I on the other hand doesn´t no **** about OC. I´m planning to buy a Core 2 Duo E6600 and overclock it to 2,67Ghz(as stock C2D E6700). May be modest but as I said, I know zilch about OC. Maybe maybe will I try to get to the next multiplier(2,93Ghz).

I just put together my first C2D system using an E6600. I overclocked it right off the bat and got it up to 3.6Gig. I could have got it futher with better cooling. I ended up setting it to 400x8=3.2 with a voltage increase of .025v and memory divider at 1:1. I would suggest trying the same settings as the results are very nice for a processor that cost me $164. Yes, I said $164. It's not a typo. :D 
December 11, 2006 4:50:28 PM

Quote:
Hmm I still think that the propability that the cpu will be unstable is higher with a weaker cpu(maybe the difference is negligible but anyway). Still, I don´t need to OC the cpu to 3,4Ghz. 2,93 will be fine. Mobo is important so I want to know if Asus P5B(vanilla) is enough for overlocking to a modest 2,93Ghz?

Is Geil DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Ultra 4-4-4-12 good for OC?

Do you plan to do dual video cards? Im not sure on the memory, never used it. Thats not normally a good thing =).
December 11, 2006 4:56:39 PM

Quote:
Do you plan to do dual video cards? Im not sure on the memory, never used it. Thats not normally a good thing =).

NO, I don´t plan to use SLI/Crossfire.

What do you mean with "That´s not normally a good thing =)" That the memory propably sucks?

Besides, how do I know how much I should change the voltage when OC?
December 11, 2006 5:02:55 PM

On that mem, normally a non name brand tends to suck. Some ppl have good luck, others dont. It also depends on the mobo. Some like certain mem brands, and not others. When you choose your board go to the manufacturer site to see if it supports that mem. First thing you wanna do is set all the manual setting u can, mem voltage and set cpu volatge to stock (1.35 i think). Then just up your FSB till its not stable. When you get to that point give it more cpu voltage(LIKE 1.375 or 1.4). And continue to raise FSB again.
December 11, 2006 5:05:23 PM

I am looking forward to the next overclocking article. I know it has become fairly user friendly with the new bios settings etc. What I would really like to see (yes im lazy) is a system that would overclock its self as needed. I imagine this is on the horizon. When im surfing the web I want my computer to scale back and relax using less power creating less heat etc. Then when I am gaming I want it to push it's self to the limit.

It could probably be set up so your computer knows its limit and scales back if it starts to get too hot or kicks in an extra fan. You know those switches on cars that give you different driving modes. :wink: I have see bios settings for default and performance values but those seem to be all or nothing. Some of the performance settings are not always that great.
December 11, 2006 5:08:47 PM

Nevermind :) 
December 11, 2006 5:55:54 PM

Where do you get this 101C on a DIE Prescott...these are stories for childrens.
I have a 630 Prescott @3600 my idle temp is 39-40 load 53-55(max).I think the majority of the people how owns Prescott core do not know how to mange them to put them right in the soket to cool them right with panel fans etc...My performance in the stock mode @3000 are all most the same with 3500+ Venice(i have the second system with AMD) (all most=little difference) its like 50-50 because in some test Prescott wins and in others the Venice wins but any way with 10-95 points difference its like nothing.

Venice /E6/ is not so good overcloker in comparation with Prescott /NO/ wich is super overcloker.
If we analyse the risks for every core the prescott have the native design to work under hight temp and at high freq wich will put him like(all most)out of the risk,Venice do not have the high thermal design(in my opinion is no need because its working very good in stock mode and if we compare price and performance it is perfect) but if will overclok to much it will be unstable.

The benefits are minimal even if we overclok both at maximum posible it will not be at least in performance like CORE 2 Duo 6300.
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2006 7:54:09 PM

"More Stable" is possible due to things like varying operating conditions. If I have a PC that's stable at a room temperature up to 25C, it would be 100% stable in an air-conditioned office but unstable in a hot climate.

The thing is that my office temperature ranges from ~15C to ~45C! I usually leave after a few minutes when it goes above ~42C. Now, if my system was stable 350 days a year but not stable those few hottest days, but I replaced the processor with something that was stable on those hottest days, it would be "more stable".

And it's not just about cooling, as processors get closer to their limits they are more likely to err with tiny voltage changes that are normal in computer system.
December 11, 2006 9:01:55 PM

Do you run your cpu at that speed 24/7? or is that just for bragging rights and benchmarks? Also how much extra did you have to spend in cooling extra power and better memory to get that over clock? Just curious :o  Lastly what do your benchmarks compare to the 6600 or the 6700 6800?
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2006 10:56:06 PM

Great, you come up with a list of the specific information you'd like included.
a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2006 2:49:20 AM

That's a fairly tall order considering most experienced overclockers don't even know what all those settings are, and only about half the high-end boards have them. Normal settings are tCAS, tRP, tRCD, and tRAS.
December 12, 2006 3:08:48 AM

Why not explain each one in detail to us one at a time. :wink:
December 12, 2006 3:48:50 AM

I want to know what you think of a computer that auto overclocks and scales back when needed. No need to make adjustments etc. Automatically does it for you. Can it be done? I think it would be great. Remember the old turbo button? :wink:
a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2006 4:12:50 AM

It's been done for quite a while, many boards offer automatic overclocking that kick up CPU speed whever it reaches a certain percent cycle usage. You can even set the amount you want it to overclock by.
December 12, 2006 4:31:40 AM

Good article on the very basics. I hope to see more articles like this . I also hope someone can explain in more detail about relationship between a BUS speed and RAM speed. Also what the Timing: 5-5-5-15 is and how to adjust it correctly.
December 12, 2006 4:40:13 AM

Nice article, it's been a while since Toms did an OC piece.

It would be nice to see part 2 look at the various cooling options from some of the higher end suppliers and demonstrate the different technologies such as water, peltier, phase change and heatpipe.

I remember Toms did that 5GHz LN job a few years back on a P4 - how about another extreme OC job this time on two 8800GTX in SLI!
December 12, 2006 9:28:45 AM

Quote:

Are you serious about the idle temps on Prescotts? I think you are helping propagate an urban legend. Mine has never gone above 50C even at full load on stock HSF and OCed from 2.8 GHz to 3.57 GHz (that's a 27.5% gain) and dare to say it can go beyond 4.3 if it weren't for my cursed Cheapazaki MoBo. I mean no offense but... Are you putting enough thermal goo on your processor die?

About the Numero Uno Oncho: It's supposed to be Spanish but Oncho is wrong, perhaps he meant Ocho so my translation is Number One Eight. By the way it's "enchiladas" not enchaladas :p  .

Saludos

You've got to be kidding me . . . "Honcho" ring a bell ? Come on . . . you know "Head Honcho" . . .

Prescotts, and some D's(90nm) were very hot, figured you guys, who SEEM to be reading this forum, would also read a few articles ;) 

The thing is, some people would use their systems for close to 8 years, hell I have an 7-8 year old compaq presario that serves just fine as a Samba file sharing server (granted, 40GB storage isn't a lot, I've got .5TB in my current system . . .). Overclocking, hmm, done it, and I've heard of worse things to do with your time, but what gets me, is people who will spend $400usd or more on on a decent water cooling system to get speeds of a CPU they could have paid an additional $300usd, and trouble free . . .

Also, that little "5% gain for 2 MB more L2" line is BS, trying actually using something that will USE that extra L2, and tell me its only 5%, games aren't everything you know.

Article stank, could have read what was said on wiki, how about some test cases, or is this going to be another orphaned article ? . . .

How about something more like "how-to 802.3ad link aggregation", or how-to inexpensive iSCSI Targets" . . . Seems more and more every day, this site is turning into a hand holding site, for people who know nothing about hardware. I dare say, give us a challenge will ya!?
December 13, 2006 12:52:18 AM

Quote:
"Electromigration takes place on the actual silicon chip of your CPU, in areas that operate at a very high temperature, and can cause permanent damage to the chip. Before you start to panic, you should first realize a few things. CPUs are designed to run at temperatures between -25 and 80 degrees Celsius. To give you an idea, 80 degrees Celsius is a temperature that nobody is able to touch for longer than 1/10 second. I have never come across a CPU at this temperature. There are plenty of ways to keep the CPU case at less than 50 degrees Celsius, which increases the probability of keeping the chip inside at less than 80 degrees. Also, electromigration does not immediately damage your chip. It is a slow process, which more or less shortens the life span of a CPU running at a very high temperature. A normal CPU is meant to live for about ten years. However, in ten years nobody is going to be using a CPU with today's technology. I won't even use my CPU anymore in 2 months. If you want to be kept free from this electromigration scare, you have to do as much as possible to cool the CPU. Cooling is the Numero Uno Oncho in overclocking! Never ever forget that!"

I dont think the statement above is 100% correct. Temperature is one of the factors in electromigration, but the deterministic one is current density in the interconnections. When voltage is increased, the electric field within the cpu is increased too, causing the electrons to accelerate faster. Thus, even if the temperature is kept low, electromigration effect is still greater than default voltage.

I would say electromigration has 3 contributors:
1. voltage
2. speed
3. temperature
December 13, 2006 1:17:09 AM

Completely missed the point of Hysteresis also. See wikipedia for more info :) 
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2006 2:13:34 AM

I'd agree with the article that the matter of importance is:
1.) Voltage
2.) Heat
3.) Speed

The order in the article is from least to greatest, so the list appears reversed but is actually the same order.
December 13, 2006 6:17:29 AM

yea, that's true. Voltage is the biggest enemy in overclocking. Sometimes, voltage set way beyond the spec sheet will cause the CPU to die in a few months even if we are using very good cooling system. It's because the electrons are accelerated so fast that they break the interconnection wall.
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2006 7:14:09 AM

Yes, well, voltage is the electrical version of force, it's easier to distort things when you add force. I'm not exactly sure, but I think heat increases platicity, reducing the amount of force required to close a gate.

You're the expert so you tell me :p 
December 13, 2006 10:41:29 AM

Quote:
Where do you get this 101C on a DIE Prescott...these are stories for childrens.

Hmm... let's see... first of all, thanks for calling me a child as at my age any decrease of the number of candles on the cake is welcome. As for where he got it? He got it from this temperature sensor gun that he calibrated within an inch of his life. And it was the lowest temp of his various readings, as his BIOS and Intel Thermal Thingy were always higher.

Quote:
You've got to be kidding me . . . "Honcho" ring a bell ? Come on . . . you know "Head Honcho" . . .

Hey, Honcho I know. Oncho is just illiterate spelling! :) 
December 13, 2006 11:50:45 PM

well, i am not really an expert. I heard from the production engineers that voltage is always the #1 enemy nowadays, because the CPU already has built in thermal diode at the hottest spot of the CPU. When the temperature exceed the spec, it will automatically do geyserville (or more commonly referred as Speed Step) transition to lower frequency.

These days, when they want to launch certain products with higher speed bin, the headache part is whether to increase the Vcore or not. Well, for overclockers like us, increasing Vcore is darn common. But for them, this method shall be the last resort, as they knew voltage can cut down CPU lifespan quite significantly.

Heat reduce the amount of force to close a gate, but faster switching speed + higher temperature also induced a lot of leakage current or reverse saturation current, which is not desirable in any ICs.
December 14, 2006 6:56:19 AM

Quote:

Hey, Honcho I know. Oncho is just illiterate spelling! :) 

Yeah, well, what do you expect, his "spanish" grammar was incorrect as well (my spanish is far from perfect, but "Oncho de numero uno ?") *shrug*, but I just Figured the "Oncho" was spelled as if you pronounced the h silent ;) 
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2006 7:24:39 AM

Doctor Thomas Pabst is a native German speaker who wrote well in English, but add Spanglish and see how easy it is to mess up.
December 15, 2006 9:07:03 AM

Quote:

Saludos

I've got no experience with prescotts, but I once had an athlon processor rated at max 110C - and infact it did idle above 80C and peaking at around 105C
Turned out when I trashed the system a year later, that sugar had melted between teh cpu and cooler (I once dropped sugar near the pc) .... probably causing the high temps .. but point is - it IS possible to see high temps in computers, just not if they're kept in a proper working condition.
December 15, 2006 9:48:40 AM

AH i remeber the Turbo button! i had one when i was in the first grade, i never pushed it..my friend said thats the self destruct button...what did it do?

Ah the 5ghx project i remenber that, with some liguid nitrogen.....ah that stuff was really cool.
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2006 9:51:39 AM

The "turbo" button slowed your system down, I believe to 8MHz, for older programs that relied on CPU clock cycles for timing.

I could be wrong about the speed, why not google it?
December 15, 2006 9:59:16 AM

oh...i never thought of that...lol oops...the computer i had was like...a 99 or 100 mhz pentium pro.
!