Antec NeoHE whining

Hrothgar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Hey-ho!
I have three Antec PSU's of the NeoHE series (1x 380W, 2x 550W) and all of them omit the same high-frequency whining or buzzing (electronical sound) when switched on - both with normal devices attached (XP 1600+, Nvidia 5200, 5400 rpm HD, 2 optical drives, 2 DDR sticks, three PCI cards) and barebone configuration. Also tested on another system (with other but similar components). Other PSU's work fine. I have searched the net but have found
only reports about high load noise. Here, the noise is immediately present and seems independent of load. Considering that it's three devices out of the same product line, I can't believe, nobody else is reporting problems.
Any ideas? Similar experiences?
Cheers,
Stefan

Hrothgar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
It is not very loud, but easily audible from six feet distance. Comparable to the sound of old televisions. I was trying to build a silent system and for that matter it's definitely not tolerable.
It goes away right after the system is switched off.

Hrothgar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
True, but I'm not trying to fix the problem. I just want to know: is anyone else experiencing this with NeoHE's?
I mean, if it's the whole line of NeoHE's, there must thousands of complaints. Otherwise, how would I get three bad units at the same time?!?

Hrothgar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
New units from a well-known German online store. Got them extremely cheap, so it would be too sad to have to send them back.

Hrothgar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
No, the unit was sold as new and working... I got them as a special deal (kind of like a prize drawing) - two 550W for about 60$ each.
I can return them no problem, but I'd be sorry to do it...

G

That is pretty weird because all the NeoHe I used were extremely quiet...

I would say it might be defective but the 3 of them kind of rule it out. If it is irritating I guess the only advice is to return them. In my experience the seasonic based PSU are the quietest, funny thing is that the NeoHe is a seasonic built PSU. You can still look at Corsair and SS for quiet ones.

Hrothgar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Yeah, I'm starting to think it's not just a problem of the PSU's after all as nobody else has reported this problem. Antec tech support says they haven't heard of this issue before.
I'll try to convince some friend to let me test it with his system... Too bad everybody has notebooks these days...

halcyon

Splendid
Hey-ho!
I have three Antec PSU's of the NeoHE series (1x 380W, 2x 550W) and all of them omit the same high-frequency whining or buzzing (electronical sound) when switched on - both with normal devices attached (XP 1600+, Nvidia 5200, 5400 rpm HD, 2 optical drives, 2 DDR sticks, three PCI cards) and barebone configuration. Also tested on another system (with other but similar components). Other PSU's work fine. I have searched the net but have found
only reports about high load noise. Here, the noise is immediately present and seems independent of load. Considering that it's three devices out of the same product line, I can't believe, nobody else is reporting problems.
Any ideas? Similar experiences?
Cheers,
Stefan

I have the exact same issue with an Antec NeoPower 380 watt as well. I have this coming as a replacement http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104935 . I can't give my sister a computer for X-mas with that noise coming out of it.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You don't use a CRT monitor do you? You mentioned that it sounds comparable to the sound of old televisions, so it could just be the noise of your CRT. Plus, you might want to buy a nice power strip/surge protector because if nobody else seems to be experiencing this problem maybe it's dirty power or something. Just an idea.

Hrothgar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Good idea with the monitor (tech support professional?) but it is really from the PSU. As I said, I tested with other PSU's without problems.
Dirty power is a possibility. I'll test it in a completely different setting tonight.

@Halcyon: finally someone experiencing this too, albeit on a different model. Thanks for the reply!

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, right now I'm an IT Business Administrations Systems Analyst, but I used to do tech support. Sorry to insult your intelligence by suggesting it's the monitor, but I find that sometimes I will get insanely wrapped up in trying to help people on the forumz only to find that they have been misrepresenting something. Plus, high-pitched whines like you are describing are sometimes hard to pinpoint.

Anyway, if you got all 3 of the PSUs at the same time, perhaps Antec was having some production issues for a short while? Maybe you should have Antec support RMA one of them and get a brand new replacement (just to rule that out).

Hrothgar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Okay, I tested it with a P4 system today and what shall I say: it's quiet!
So either it's the load that is too low or an incompatibility issue with the other mainboards... strange anyway...