Having problem with my CPU thermal throttling, need help

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hi just built my first computer and I've had it on for a week now. When I first built it I thought I could see my cpu temp in bios and for some reason I don't have the feature. Anyways I was waiting for an email from Intel to get some help on this, when I got some help from a friend.

I have gotten TAT and RMclock to look at the cpus, and my comp was thermal throttling.

I have a E6600 and it was only doing like 1.6 ghz around 80 C degrees.
I'm using the heatsink that came with it and the thermal paste that came on heat sink.

I opened my comp and pushed the pins on the heatsink in more and left it off for an hour I heard one of the pins click a little so I thought it was fixed, but it keeps on getting hotter, right now its in upper 70s C, and I'm probably going to turn it off soon cause I'm pretty sure its irregular.

What I need to know is what steps to do next? Do I have to get another thermal paste or is there something like a quick fix I could try.

On core clock it says 1.6ghz but throttle says 2.4ghz on the RM Clock.

Thanks in advance for help.

ok just hooked up my old comp. there was a clicking noise before I turned off comp, when I opened it I noticed a wire that got near the fan so I'm wondering if that could mess up the fan and cooling of hte heatsink.

I had the heatsink in there really tight, I mean there was no movement if I tried to move it so I don't know what the problem could be, unless there is something wrong because I had it on for a few days now like this. I took the heatsink off. If I remount it, do I place the heatsink in the same way?

Also the thermal paste is in the shape of a round circle on the chip and heatsink where they meet. I remember there being 3 thick horizontal lines of it before installing. I'm guessing this is normal, but just trying to give all the information I can.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I've read something in a thread about rotating heatsink when reseating. Is that 90 degrees or 180 degrees? Does it make a difference which way if its 90 degrees?

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Need more info bro, what mobo you got? Also is this stoch heatsink and fan? Have u overclocked it at all?

My first guess is your heatsink is not on correctly. Do you have any spare Thermal paste? If so clean off your CPU and heatsink using Isopropyl Alcohol(70% atleast). Put on new paste, and make sure you put that heatsink on correctly.

When u put the paste on you want to put a drop about the size of a piece of rice in the middle of the cpu. Then put the heatsink on it, it will spread itself out.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I have a
Intel BOXDP965LTCK Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

not overclocking

I just rotated heatsink 90 degrees and its in the upper 40s Celsius right now.

the heatsink has a fan on top of it, I don't know what stoch means.

I'm pretty sure I have it in tight. When I first opened it, it wasn't tight on one of the pegs, i pushed that one in and made sure the others were good and restarted, but after about 10 minutes it was thermal throttling again.

So do you guys think I should get Arctic silver and try that?

Also if I get the heatsink and temp functioning normally how do i get the cpu clock speed back up to 2.4ghz?

I have this RMClock program that says cpu speed is 1.6ghz while cpu throttling is 2.4ghz. How do I get it to 2.4ghz clock speed while its in normal temp ranges?

On TAT temp is 50 degrees Celsius now, whats normal range?
Also seems to be a 3 to 4 degree celsius difference between cpu 0 and cpu 1 on TAT and RMClock

I have no spare thermal paste so I would have to buy some.

Ok been 15 minutes and the temp has been around 50 degrees celsius, not going higher than 52. Is this good?

I just need to know how to get my cpu clock back to 2.4ghz instead of 1.6ghz.

I was just freaking out I guess, cause I've had my comp for a week and have been running it a lot, even left it on for a day or two. So I was very concerned when I found out the temp finally.
Had been waiting forever to get some help on figuring them temp to make sure I built my comp properly.

If 50C is a little high let me know. I'm actually thinking about getting some different thermal paste just to start it over right.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
The OEM cooler (with the two 'stripes' of OEM compound) is a one-shot deal.
The compound melts and bonds CPU and cooler together. If you ever remove the cooler or even move it, breaking the seal, you must then disassemble everything, clean it all up good, and reassemble with new compound (ie. ArcticSilver).
My CPU runs ~28C right now and will heat up to only 50C or so, using OEM cooler w/ original compound, so you must have it wrong.
SpeedStep will throttle by changing your CPU multiplier down and cutting CPU voltage.
Mine goes from 2.4GHz to 1.8GHz (which is a change from 8x to 6x multiplier, times 300MHz FSB).
Your E6600 has a 9x multiplier but I believe it reduces to 6x also...
I dunno - you should use the latest CPU-Z v1.38 and see what's going on.
If you have SpeedStep (or also Cool&Quiet) enabled in BIOS you can turn it on from within Windows by selecting 'minimal power management' in Power Settings.
If you wish to turn it off and run all full-speed simply select 'always on' power setting :)
What else? Yeah watch those temps, something not right there - the OEM Socket775 cooler is usually difficult to secure properly.
I believe actually AMD has a better system with AM2... you have to really push like hell to turn the little AM2 lever, but once it is turned you know it is properly done!
Regards

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
sorry i have to ask, do you really have to put new thermal paste on if you take heat sink off and reinstall it. Cause I've done that and temp hasn't gone past 50C yet.

If you do, I'll do that, but if the comps temp is running at the same as yours is it ok then?

Also with these dual core processors, I have cpu 0 and cpu 1 on RMclock both doing 1.6ghz but throttling 2.4ghz, I'm guessing that is normal, the 2 processors are 1.6ghz but together do 2.4ghz? So thats normal?

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Update

I'm running my antivirus program, just to run something that uses my cpu to see what happens to the temps when its not idle.

Temps seem to only go to upper 50s.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
sorry i have to ask, do you really have to put new thermal paste on if you take heat sink off and reinstall it. Cause I've done that and temp hasn't gone past 50C yet.

If you do, I'll do that, but if the comps temp is running at the same as yours is it ok then?

Also with these dual core processors, I have cpu 0 and cpu 1 on RMclock both doing 1.6ghz but throttling 2.4ghz, I'm guessing that is normal, the 2 processors are 1.6ghz but together do 2.4ghz? So thats normal?

50c is way to high for idle temps, above he said his is 28c idle and 50c under load.

That means your will likely see 70+c while in use. Thats WAY to high.

And yes you should replace the thermal paste.

Use CPUZ to get your proper GHZ

It should be 2.4.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I understand 70c is way too high, but thats not what I'm posting my temp running at.

Its only mid 50s under load now, I'm playing a full screen game right now, only to test temps for a minute and its only around 50 maybe mid 50s

I just checked now with it minimized and its down to low 40s again.

I'm just trying to get an idea on whats going on and maybe why. Cause it doesn't seem to be thermal throttling, but not sure if whats going on is normal, cause only one person posted their comps temp, instead of knowing what others are or what the average temp range to look for is.

I'm going to get some arctic silver, but it might take a few days. Just to do a fresh start. What I'm trying to figure out is if its ok at these temps right now or if I should shut down my comp for the next few days.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Go to google and do a search for prime95

Hell NM heres a link

Once u download it follow these instructions

Watch your temps while this is running.
If they go over 60c stop it.

You want this program to run ATLEAST 2 hours. If it doesnt error, congrats your pc is stable. Just watch those temps.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
ok thanks, I'll try it out.

ok tried it out and temps went to like 60-65 in about 10 minutes. I guess its not stable then.

It cooled down to low 40s after i shut the test program off.

Weird question. If the comp is running in the 40s just for web surfing or bill paying stuff. Is that ok for a few days, or do I risk damaging the cpu or something? I just need to know for sure, so I have a good excuse why people can't use it, and I can get my old comp set up or something.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
40s are fine. 60-65 is pushing it. see if prime95 will run for 2hrs. Dont worry about your chip, if it gets to hot it has a safety switch. It will turn itself off b4 it even gets close to burning out. You will know if prime fails because it will actually say it. If your pc reboots thats a bad sign as well.

I do however feel your heatsink is not installed right.. Stock FSB and voltage should have u around 30c idle.

AS5 will help but i dont think it will drop temps 10c.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
well i'm pretty sure i had it installed wrong before, it was thermal throttling when I got TAT. I eventually took the heatsink out and rotated it 90 degrees cause i read somewhere to do that. I'm pretty sure i got the pins in there tight, it doesn't move if you try to shake the heatsink, but i'm just concerned about the thermal paste looking weird. it looks a little thicker on one side of the chip than the other. Right now it doesn't thermal throttle but I don't really have anything that uses more than 10 percent of the cpu.

I'm thinking there is something wrong with the thermal paste since the comp was on for a few days with heatsink not on right.
Could this be a possibility?

When you install the the heatsink, the pins are suppose to only go into the mobo and click so they are tightly fastened to mobo, right?

Don't know what FSB is and stuff.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Yes clicking in means its "locked in palce". However, i cant tell you how many posts i have read just like yours, and its always something wrong with the heatsink installation. Every1 is always 100% certain its in right, till they double and sometimes triple check. And find a problem.

And yes, buy some AS5 and replace that paste. Get the arctic silver cleaning kit aswell.

This is what u want
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100010

Best 10 bucks youll ever spend.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
ok I'm going to order that stuff but before I do, I have to say something weird just happened on my comp, I was doing those tests, and just leaving them on for awhile. It was at like 65 C and I left for 10 minutes came back and its down to 55 C now, my cpu is still at 100 percent usage and everything.

Whats going on? This is quite confusing the temps keep fluctuating.

now its at like 51 to 54

I'm looking at the log, it seems from start of test it took 5 minutes for it to heat up ot 65, and then it was 65 for about 8 to 9 minutes and then the temp dropped and its been around 55 for a half an hour now.

halcyon

Splendid
Yes clicking in means its "locked in palce". However, i cant tell you how many posts i have read just like yours, and its always something wrong with the heatsink installation. Every1 is always 100% certain its in right, till they double and sometimes triple check. And find a problem.

And yes, buy some AS5 and replace that paste. Get the arctic silver cleaning kit aswell.

This is what u want
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100010

Best 10 bucks youll ever spend.

It's interesting to read this as I had a similar problem with my Artic Freezer 7 Pro. I was working inside the case and bumped it and 2 of the pins just came out leaving it dangling. I stood there in disbelief. ...and not being patient I went and got a Zalman 9500, which, thank gosh, screws down. There's obviously some trick to installing those twist-pin coolers that's not covered in the instructions. Unfortunately my non-overclocked Xeon 3060 is still idling @ 34-35C with the Zalman and AS5 so we'll see in the AS5 breaks-in and cools it down better.

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
The temps may be down because of throttling... if you walked away the temps may have gone up until it throttling kicked in to prevent damage. I'd stay away from Prime95 and other stress tests until you get some new TIM (AS5) and re-install that heatsink.

Best thing to do is toss the heatsink fan that came with the processor and get a better one. You can get the Freezer 7 Pro for like 30 bucks at Newegg.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I have a program that lets me know if its thermal throttling. So I don't htink that could be it, but I'm not sure. The temp never went above 65, and I don't think it kicks into throttle till atleast 75

how helpful would getting a new heat sink be and how much easier would it be to get it in compared to the current one I'm working with.

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
The Freezer Pro is only 30 bucks and comes with thermal paste. Instead of spending 10 bucks on AS5 spend 20 more and get the better cooler. You'll be glad you did.

halcyon

Splendid
I used the Artic Freezer Pro 7 for a week...and it cooled pretty good for that week, but see above for why I'm no longer using it. ...if you decide to go with that cooler just be sure to attach it properly, simply following the directions doesn't necessarily secure it against bumps (while working in your case), but it did cool well enough and the thermal interface material is, indeed, already applied, just like on Intel's boxed cooler.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I have a program that lets me know if its thermal throttling. So I don't htink that could be it, but I'm not sure. The temp never went above 65, and I don't think it kicks into throttle till atleast 75

how helpful would getting a new heat sink be and how much easier would it be to get it in compared to the current one I'm working with.

Are you running dual primes? Maybe One failed and u didnt notice? The range of difficulty ranges in which aftermarket cooler u get. Some snap in, others require you to take the entire motherboard out and install a backplate.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Best thing to do is toss the heatsink fan that came with the processor and get a better one.
No, the best thing is to properly install the cooler you have, properly attached and with the correct compound.
The OEM compound 'melts' into place as I have mentioned.
When you got your CPU 65C hot, the compound must've re-melted and resealed to the CPU.
Once left to cool and solidify overnight, the following day's temps could well be ~10C lower...
But I would take that apart and clean it up, using ArcticSilver, anyway.
I s'pose if you have to take it all apart and clean it you may as well get a new cooler - but that would be a waste of your OEM cooler which works well when properly installed,
L8R