SD or CF better/faster??

March 14, 2005 12:50:51 PM

Hi all,

Quick question. Have just bought a Dell Axim x50v and need to update to 1GB
card. I realize there are different speed CF cards (as evidenced by
numerous e-bay listings..... ) however does this also apply to SD cards?

Any ideas about which form of removable storage is better or faster?

Thanks,
Scott.

More about : faster

March 14, 2005 12:50:52 PM

"Scott Fanning" <scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Quick question. Have just bought a Dell Axim x50v and need to update to
> 1GB card. I realize there are different speed CF cards (as evidenced by
> numerous e-bay listings..... ) however does this also apply to SD cards?
>
> Any ideas about which form of removable storage is better or faster?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott.

I believe (although I may be wrong) that CF is faster - although (and again
I may be wrong) CF is a greater power user.

Si.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:50:52 PM

"Scott Fanning" <scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hi all,
|
| Quick question. Have just bought a Dell Axim x50v and need to update
to 1GB
| card. I realize there are different speed CF cards (as evidenced by
| numerous e-bay listings..... ) however does this also apply to SD
cards?

| Any ideas about which form of removable storage is better or faster?
|
| Thanks,
| Scott.

It's not so straight forward now as it used to be, there are all
different speeds of cards available in each type never mind format to
format. You'll need to decide the size you want, price you are prepared
to pay, and look.
But I don't think the card is really the issue now- it's what speeds
are the interfaces on your ppc capable of running at- it's pointless
getting cards that are far more capable than the data rate of your
interfaces.
March 14, 2005 12:50:52 PM

Scott,

Unfortunately this isn't a simple answer.

While there are some variations in the cards (SD or CF), the real "punch"
comes from your PPCs interface to the card. Like the bus on your
desktop/laptop, that is the biggest bottleneck on your PPC and will have
impact on your speed/performance.

Having said this, as a general rule, SD cards are faster in millisecond
access time.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Scott Fanning" <scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Quick question. Have just bought a Dell Axim x50v and need to update to
> 1GB card. I realize there are different speed CF cards (as evidenced by
> numerous e-bay listings..... ) however does this also apply to SD cards?
>
> Any ideas about which form of removable storage is better or faster?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott.

March 14, 2005 1:03:30 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:13:41 -0000, "Si"
<si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> wrote:

>I believe (although I may be wrong) that CF is faster - although (and again
>I may be wrong) CF is a greater power user.

No, for the 'normal' cards, SD is faster than CF. This is the reason
why if you are installing programs on the memory card, use the SD.
The CF would be quite suitable for all other data including MP3s,
video etc.

This question has been asked and addressed a number of times at the
forum group at www.aximsite.com
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:18:47 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:50:51 +1000, Scott Fanning wrote:

> Any ideas about which form of removable storage is better or faster?

You should ask yourself: how fast is (the transfer rate of) my PPC and
will it be worth it if I buy a fast memory card?

I use a 1 GiB CF card and I've read about people using a 1 GiB SD card
and claim that it's faster. I've also read the opposite and I've seen
benchmark tests in a webforum that show that the maximum speed of the
memory is (almost?) never reached...

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | D-Link DBT-120

I recently bought a SD Card that has a better performance spec's (proven by
Pocket Mechanic Benchmark) then my CF Card. If I transfer my TomTom3 from my
CD Card to my SD Card I get a much slower performance. That indicates that
it has much more to do with the (bus) interface between SD Card and the OS
or Pocket PC System board.

"s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:50:51 +1000, Scott Fanning wrote:
>
>> Any ideas about which form of removable storage is better or faster?
>
> You should ask yourself: how fast is (the transfer rate of) my PPC and
> will it be worth it if I buy a fast memory card?
>
> I use a 1 GiB CF card and I've read about people using a 1 GiB SD card
> and claim that it's faster. I've also read the opposite and I've seen
> benchmark tests in a webforum that show that the maximum speed of the
> memory is (almost?) never reached...
>
> --
> HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF
> 1 GiB |
> SanDisk CF 256 MiB | D-Link DBT-120
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:56:37 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:50:51 +1000, "Scott Fanning"
<scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Quick question. Have just bought a Dell Axim x50v and need to update to 1GB
>card. I realize there are different speed CF cards (as evidenced by
>numerous e-bay listings..... ) however does this also apply to SD cards?
>
>Any ideas about which form of removable storage is better or faster?
>
>Thanks,
>Scott.

I tried to research this a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at speed
and battery usage. I didn't find anything definitive, but most things
I read said that CF was faster and that CF used slightly more power
(not enough power diff to notice).

Additionally, CF seemed to have benefits due to being a more reliable
format with better error correction.

Those were my conclusions, but they could be completely wrong, as
there wasn't much to go on without reading the specs for the formats.

Many did point out that you're more likely to use the CF card for
expansion, so if you have both kinds of slots, why not use the SD slot
for your memory so you don't have to swap out your memory for the
expansion card.

However, I chose CF because it's what my camera uses and because I
liked the notion of speed and reliability. I have no idea what I'll
store in the SD slots in my mobile case. Maybe some breath mints. :)

---
Mark A.
March 19, 2005 3:04:55 AM

"Mark A." <-mark@-spamstopshere.com-> wrote

> >Quick question. Have just bought a Dell Axim x50v and need to
update to 1GB
> >card. I realize there are different speed CF cards

> >Any ideas about which form of removable storage is better or
faster?

> Additionally, CF seemed to have benefits due to being a more
reliable
> format with better error correction.

I've been using CF cards since buying a Psion 5 that came with a 16Mb
card.

I've now got about 15 CF cards, each bought being bigger than the one
before (except the ones that come with new products). I've had an IBM
CF Type II hard drive 1Gb for a few years and 2Gb is now my largest.

All 3 of my cameras has/had CF slots. My newest Garmin GPS has a CF
Type II slot and I bought a F-S LOOX 720 because it had a CF Type II
slot and it has a VGA mini-screen. It also has an SD slot, which I
concider a small bonus.

CF cards have always been cheaper than other formats and are very
reliable.

CF cards have their own built-in controller, so old products, like my
Psion 5mx, can use bigger CF cards. Products with the controller in,
are always limited to the max. size of card that the controller can
use.

Reg.
!