Dual monitors of different sizes

milnyckyj

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I just build a new system with an xfx 7600gt (2 dvi outputs). I have a dell 20" widescreen and a philips 17" 4/3 (regular) screen. Both are 10.5 inches tall so they look ok next to eachother.

On my laptop I always use the "dualview" option in the nvidia control panel, which allows both screens to run at different resolutions. When I tried to set it up on the new system, the dualview option isn't there...I'm using the latest nvidia driver, and I have no idea why its not there. I get the options for clone, vertical span and horizontal span.

I'm using the philips screen with a vga cable and a dvi-vga converter while the dell is on a dvi cable...could that be the issue? The philips has dvi input, but I don't have an extra dvi cable.

G

My experience is that you have to detect both screan, reboot and then the dual view will be available. When I switched to 'single' view only using one screen, I had to reboot to get back to dualview.

One of them was 19" CRT and the other a 19" LCD, the CRT was on a adapter so that's not the issue.

BTW, you horizontal span can be tweaked in nVidia to be almost exactly like Dual View.

I would make sure both screen are detected in windows, with proper driver, not just plug and play screen.

Sometime you also have to play with the windows part of the equation, trying to check 'extend my windows desktop on this monitor' and so on.

My experience with dual monitor is that you sometime have to fiddle quiet a bit