E4300 , 'true' allendale Preview

G

Though I'd link this thread since it's the first information I see on what I call a 'true' allendale. Don't know if the code name has been cleared once and for all...

Overall it seams on par with what you would expect for a chip with 200FSB vs 266 and 66mhz less then a E6300.
Looking at the back of the chip some people think it will have a lower OC potential but it could still make one hell of a budget OC chip!

Follow link for a few benchmark

compare.jpg

e4300_cpuz.PNG

Julian33

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Thanks for the info!

That data looks interesting. Considering the reduced FSB and lower cache the performance hit isn't too great over the E6300. It still has the lead over the 3800+ but it looks like the K8 can hold it's own against it in some areas.

What AMD needs to do now to counter this is with the release of 65nm and forthcoming higher end X2's is to push the line down and replace the 3800+ with the 4200+ and so on.

G

Yup it does seam pretty competitive, we should see it go for really cheap as it should save intel some good money having a smaller die.
I see the lower FSB as a benefit for budget OCer: 3ghz with DDRII-667 memory is really nice. Let you keep the cost down because you need a mobo that makes 333FSB(even nf4 might do it ;-) and cheaper RAM.

The X2 3800 does fare pretty well but the e4300 should give it a hard time with its expected price point.

So unless 65nm part are much cheaper Intel might just extend it's lead all the way down...

@minim3, it was a conroe in disguise! =)

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I am pretty excited to see where this goes with overclocking :) More in depth review that is. I like the x9 multiplier! I know there are supposed to be two "true allendales" being released, anyone know the clockspeed and multi of the other one? Would be nice to see a x10 :)

I know, I know...www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

I still would like to know!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I hope the real reviews will show what kind of difference VT makes in virtualization apps. To me, lack of VT is the only real downside of Allendale. If it's not noticeable, then Allendale is truly a winner.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I hope the real reviews will show what kind of difference VT makes in virtualization apps. To me, lack of VT is the only real downside of Allendale. If it's not noticeable, then Allendale is truly a winner.

I don't think the market this is aimed at will care about this.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I am pretty excited to see where this goes with overclocking :) More in depth review that is. I like the x9 multiplier! I know there are supposed to be two "true allendales" being released, anyone know the clockspeed and multi of the other one? Would be nice to see a x10 :)

I know, I know...www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

I still would like to know!
Actually, there are supposed to be 3.

1. E4200- 200x8=1600MHz...Q2 07
2. E4300- 200x9=1800MHz...Jan21
3. E4400-200x10=2000MHz...Q2 07

Should be very interesting. :)

G

I don't think the market this is aimed at will care about this.

Agree with that but I think it might have a lot of potential for Ocer, some kind of 805 without the drawback. So budget conscious OCer might care about VT.

Still I doubt it'll be a deal breaker for many people!

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I like the looks of them all :) E4400 could very well be my next CPU if it overclocks like we all "know" it will :p If I can't wait that long I will jump on a 4300 probably. I have a great water kit and once a good budget OCing board (eg: DS3) is established at the time of release, I will drop a few hundred on a meaningful upgrade.

I agree, the naming scheme is wack. At least it establishes somewhat of a barrier between lower cached CPUs (somewhat) as apposed to simply ranking them by clockspeeds with only knowledgeable people knowing the difference under the IHS.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I like the looks of them all :) E4400 could very well be my next CPU if it overclocks like we all "know" it will :p If I can't wait that long I will jump on a 4300 probably. I have a great water kit and once a good budget OCing board (eg: DS3) is established at the time of release, I will drop a few hundred on a meaningful upgrade.

I agree, the naming scheme is wack. At least it establishes somewhat of a barrier between lower cached CPUs (somewhat) as apposed to simply ranking them by clockspeeds with only knowledgeable people knowing the difference under the IHS.

I guess it could be a lot worse (naming wise)!

I will probably jump on at least three of the 4300's on release - one for my wifes PC (SFF desktop, currently running a Northwood 2.4), one for my kids' PC (A64 3700+) and one for my HTPC (A64 3000+). All are due upgrades so I'm thinking this will be good for them all around.

G

Yeah
Letter: thermal enveloppe,
first number: 'architecture'
second number: number of core
third number clock speed
4 number: amount of cache/additional feature(C1E/VT/etc)

That way they would not run out of # everytime!

E6200 : 85W, conroe, dual core, 2ghz
E6210 : 85W, conroe, dual core, 2.26ghz
E7400: 85W , penryn, quadcore, 2ghz

Whatever. Wonder who came up with the random number =)

Xeon naming scheme make more sens...

TRENDING THREADS