ybgfhsd

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I just upgraded my pc to include the following parts:
c2d 6400, asus p5b deluxe w/o wfi, 2gb corsair xms ddr2 675, xfx 7950gt, ocz 700watt ps. My question is, I usually use speedfan to monitor my cpu temp, well the p5b came will an asus utility to do the same as well as hdd and mb temp. So I installed the asus utility and right away it states my cpu temp is 140 F. I uninstalled the asus utility and installed speedfan again and it has my cpu temp at 82 F. Which one is likely the right temp? Has anyone used the asus utility? Any feedback is appreciated. Also everything is stock speed.

chosen_moto

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
niether are right, you probably don't have a temp sensor installed so it's showing an insanely hot cpu temp..................if it was that hot your cpu would fry.................check your bios and see what it says your temps are

-Mike

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Actually the c2d will throttle down at 85c or 185 F so it aint frying yet... Doesnt answer your question but was does the BIOS indicate ?

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Agreed. Dunno why it's being reported in Fahrenheit, but those are good temperatures. Celcius is the standard reporting temperature for computer parts.

60C might be a little on the warm side, but those chips are built well, they can handle it. 28C is great.

I just upgraded my pc to include the following parts:
c2d 6400, asus p5b deluxe w/o wfi, 2gb corsair xms ddr2 675, xfx 7950gt, ocz 700watt ps. My question is, I usually use speedfan to monitor my cpu temp, well the p5b came will an asus utility to do the same as well as hdd and mb temp. So I installed the asus utility and right away it states my cpu temp is 140 F. I uninstalled the asus utility and installed speedfan again and it has my cpu temp at 82 F. Which one is likely the right temp? Has anyone used the asus utility? Any feedback is appreciated. Also everything is stock speed.

i suspect my P5B deluxe reads the temps all wrong - with a TT big typhoon and my e6600 @ 3200/1600, 1.35v it reads 40's at idle and high 50's under load so

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
if your bios is reading 182 F your CPU is throttling because of high temperature. It happened to me... Heat sink wasnt installed correctly. One of the 4 corners wasnt clipped correctly. Verify your heatsink installation

ybgfhsd

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Ok i'll check the heatsink. Also, when i installed the heatsink i didnt use any thermal paste cause of the padding on the hsf. is that sufficient or should i had also used some thermal paste?

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
82F is about 28C, which is good.

140F is about 60C which is also good temp.

Those are right temps, assuming you are running it with the stock cooler.

The difference is big, but temps are safe.
I was going to state this. The Celsius - Fahrenheit difference is what makes it seem so high.

ybgfhsd

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
ok, i reinstalled the heatsink. Now temps started out at 102 F and have climbed to about 120 F. So what is a good temp range for this stock hsf & cpu.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Comparing to mine, the temperatures are about the same. I'm using the fan control in the bios to reduce noise. If i leave the fan on high full time the CPU stays around 40c-105F. With fan control on it varies from 100 - 125.

I think your good now. The heatsink was problably seated wrong on your first try

Have fun

ybgfhsd

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Comparing to mine, the temperatures are about the same. I'm using the fan control in the bios to reduce noise. If i leave the fan on high full time the CPU stays around 40c-105F. With fan control on it varies from 100 - 125.

I think your good now. The heatsink was problably seated wrong on your first try

Have fun

I hope so. Thanks.

you think i should i go back on put some AS5 on my chip. Currently im just using the paste that came already on the hsf.

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
computer hardware temps, are best understood if you make them celsius! thats what the rest of the world uses, and makes it so we dont have to pull a calc.exe when we try to help you

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
140 F is high but your CPU will NOT fry at 140 F. Think about it first.....the P4D will go up to 90 C which is almost 200 F before it is even out of its certified temp range! No doubt that it is running hot though. Check your compound and make sure your HS is fully seated is all you can really do...perhaps check case airflow. You do have good case ventilation right?

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Download Coretemp to get your temps. If you removed the heatsink i hope u removed the old thermal paste and put new paste on.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
ybgfhsd, you seem... slow.
Do you not hear us telling you not to use fahrenheit? Only 1 country (in the entire world) uses fahrenheit, heheh - so it is safe to assume you are American?
Just keep in mind, water freezes @ 0C, boils @ 100C - a good system right?
Fahrenheit is for old ladies.
Have you now got your cooler properly attached?
Regards

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Do you not hear us telling you not to use fahrenheit? Only 1 country (in the entire world) uses fahrenheit, heheh - so it is safe to assume you are American?
Regards

No need to bash dude, remember we have bigger guns. =)

Regards

Hay, we are the most powerful country in the world BECAUSE we use Fahrenheit.

I don’t want water that boils at 100c and freezes at 0c...
Celsius is the Macintosh of the temperature world.
Fahrenheit is the Windows of the temperature world.
--> and guess what is the Unix synonym

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Only the Tom's Hardware forums could have discussions that range from safe CPU temperatures to claims that the Metric system is the Macintosh of measurement.

...which it isn't. I mean, the Metric system works with everything...

No.... If it did, USA would use it.
Kelvin works for everything... but not many people know what you mean when you say thats 4000 kelvin. (kelvin is the Unix of temp mesurements).

And its soo l33t, you dont even say degrees, just kelvin.

Yes I know Kelvin is just like C, but 282degrees coolder (i think).

Who cares, its 23f outside, 75f is the perfect temp. I cook pizza at 400f, boil water at 212f, make ice cubes at 32f, and make sure my temp is 97f.

Why would I need any other forms of mesurement?

TRENDING THREADS