Whats my real cpu temp?

ybgfhsd

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I just upgraded my pc to include the following parts:
c2d 6400, asus p5b deluxe w/o wfi, 2gb corsair xms ddr2 675, xfx 7950gt, ocz 700watt ps. My question is, I usually use speedfan to monitor my cpu temp, well the p5b came will an asus utility to do the same as well as hdd and mb temp. So I installed the asus utility and right away it states my cpu temp is 140 F. I uninstalled the asus utility and installed speedfan again and it has my cpu temp at 82 F. Which one is likely the right temp? Has anyone used the asus utility? Any feedback is appreciated. Also everything is stock speed.

G

83 celcius in bios is way to hot.

Your heatsink is improperly mounted...

ybgfhsd

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
when i installed the heatsink i didnt use any thermal paste cause of the padding on the hsf. is that sufficient or should i had also used some thermal paste?

83 celcius in bios is way to hot.

Your heatsink is improperly mounted...

Yep. When I first installed my Scythe Ninja on my E6600, I was getting about 72C under load. A quick remount of the HSF and my temp dropped down to 55C under load while being overclocked at 3GHz. Idle temp is about 38C at that time. That was in a room with an ambient temp of 78F or 16.8C.

Now my temp hovers at about 51C under load and about 36C while idle and the room that is about 76F or 15.5C. Artic Silver 5 takes little time to cure.

ybgfhsd

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
ok, i remounted the hsf. now my temp started out at 104 F and has climbed to around 117. what is a good normal range? or when should i start to worry.