How does one reduce the number of programs on the All Programs page of XP. I
want to make sub folders and then put appropriate programs into the sub
folders. For instance I want a folder named Microsoft Programs and then want
to put my Word, Excel, Power Point etc. programs into that folder. Keep it
simple folks, as I am not an expert XP user. Thanks much

Hi,

Right click the start button, choose "explore all users". Click on the
program folder, then click file/new/folder, call it what you want then drag
and drop the desired ones into it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Wideejay" <Wideejay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How does one reduce the number of programs on the All Programs page of XP.
> want to make sub folders and then put appropriate programs into the sub
> folders. For instance I want a folder named Microsoft Programs and then
> want
> to put my Word, Excel, Power Point etc. programs into that folder. Keep it
> simple folks, as I am not an expert XP user. Thanks much

Sincerely, thank you Rick!

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Right click the start button, choose "explore all users". Click on the
> program folder, then click file/new/folder, call it what you want then drag
> and drop the desired ones into it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Wideejay" <Wideejay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How does one reduce the number of programs on the All Programs page of XP.
> > want to make sub folders and then put appropriate programs into the sub
> > folders. For instance I want a folder named Microsoft Programs and then
> > want
> > to put my Word, Excel, Power Point etc. programs into that folder. Keep it
> > simple folks, as I am not an expert XP user. Thanks much

Would XP not follow the same procedure as Win 9x - right click the Start button,
choose "Open" or "Explore" which opens an Windows Explorer window for the "Start"
menu folder - the view is just like any other folder, listing folders and files &
short cuts - from there you would rearrange as you see fit.

Andrew Murray wrote:
> Would XP not follow the same procedure as Win 9x - right click the
> Start button, choose "Open" or "Explore" which opens an Windows
> Explorer window for the "Start" menu folder - the view is just like
> any other folder, listing folders and files & short cuts - from there
> you would rearrange as you see fit.

Except the start menu contents are distributed across two different folders:
One for all users, and one for current user, so this way you may not get a
complete view of your start menu.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:12:24 +0800, Andrew Murray wrote:

> Would XP not follow the same procedure as Win 9x - right click the Start button,
> choose "Open" or "Explore" which opens an Windows Explorer window for the "Start"
> menu folder - the view is just like any other folder, listing folders and files &
> short cuts - from there you would rearrange as you see fit.

Yes but a second right click to Explore All Users is needed. A user's start
menu is made of shortcuts found in their account folders and in All Users.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thank you Rick. You helped me solve a serious access problem I had on the
Start menu which has been driving me up the wall. Your email gave me the
clue I needed.

Thank you again.
Regards,