Sound Card selection advice please

jb124

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I'm looking to replace my on-board (n-Force4) sound. I mainly do gaming and only use a 2.1 (analog AFAIK) speaker system (or headphone) with a mic. Ideally it would allow me to connect my front-panel internal connector too. Cost isn't a huge concern but I don't wanna go overboard. Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
I find it odd that 31computers gave the advice that he did considering his sig. What is wrong with your current setup that warrents replacing the onboard sound? If you had just upgraded your speakers, I could see buying a soundcard. If your using a cheap 2.1speaker setup or a set of headphones, what do you think the soundcard will get you? (other then less money in your wallet.) Because you use 2.1, you can't even use EAX.

n0odle

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I recommand the XtremeMusic X-fi. Its not overly expensive but not that cheap either. And its PERFECT for everything...from movies to gaming.

I think you can get it for around $9x.00 now, it used to go for around $12x.00.

4745454b

Titan
I recommand the XtremeMusic X-fi. Its not overly expensive but not that cheap either. And its PERFECT for everything...from movies to gaming.

I'm sticking with why? Why spend ~$100 on a soundcard if your using 2.1/headphones? $100 could be another stick of ram, or a new harddrive, or a new CPU cooler, etc. Unless your using a good set of speakers that can accurately reproduce the sound, why upgrade from onboard at all?

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Even with just headphones or a decent 2.1 setup, a soundcard makes an enormous difference from onboard (at least for me).

spending $28 will get you this: Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE

which will help with music and gaming but has no hardware acceleration, so you can't turn on EAX or other advanced settings

spending $90 will get you this:
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

which would let you turn up all of the ear candy

theres also some audigy 4 cards in between that you could choose

I usually stick with creative labs, so heres all that newegg has to offer
newegg creative labs sound cards

n0odle

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006

I'm sticking with why? Why spend ~$100 on a soundcard if your using 2.1/headphones? $100 could be another stick of ram, or a new harddrive, or a new CPU cooler, etc. Unless your using a good set of speakers that can accurately reproduce the sound, why upgrade from onboard at all?

You don't need the best of the best headphones/speakers to enjoy x-fi awesomeness. Hell I used to use my XtremeMusic on a 15 dallors 2.1 speaker with a 10watt subwoofer I got a CompUSA and i still noticed a huge difference from my onboard.

jb124

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Ok thanks for the advice guys. I guess the main reason I was looking to upgrade from the on-board is that the sound gets really crappy in some situations (gaming) and was thinking an external card would help with that (by off-loading the processing I guess) I'll check out the Audigy and lower-end X-Fi ones.