Sign in with
Your question

MSI P965 auto-detection IDE Primary or Secondary not working

Last response: in Motherboards
December 11, 2006 6:36:20 PM

Problem Description: The IDE Primary Master and IDE Secondary Master are not being detected by the BIOS. I have also tried purchasing an IDE to SATA converter but this did not work. The hard drive is connect to SATA 1 and the LG DVD drive is connected to SATA 2. Anyone have any thoughts before i throw all of this out a ten story window?

System Specs
1.Product Type: P965 Neo MSI Broadwater W7235IMS V1.5
2.BIOS version: Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG
3.External VGA Type: nVidia GeForce 7600 GT OC
4.CPU Type: Intel Dual Core 1.86Ghz
5.Memory Type: Corsair DDR2 XMS2
6.Power Supply Type:
7.Operating System: WinXP (if I could get the DVD drive to work)
a c 92 V Motherboard
December 11, 2006 7:09:11 PM

What do you mean by not detected? Keep the harddrive in SATA1, move the optical drive over to IDE0 (or 1 as most people would call it...). In this config NONE of the drives are detected? If so, read your manual and look for SATA config options.
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2006 7:43:49 PM

Quote:
Problem Description: The IDE Primary Master and IDE Secondary Master are not being detected by the BIOS. I have also tried purchasing an IDE to SATA converter but this did not work. The hard drive is connect to SATA 1 and the LG DVD drive is connected to SATA 2. Anyone have any thoughts before i throw all of this out a ten story window?

System Specs
1.Product Type: P965 Neo MSI Broadwater W7235IMS V1.5
2.BIOS version: Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG
3.External VGA Type: nVidia GeForce 7600 GT OC
4.CPU Type: Intel Dual Core 1.86Ghz
5.Memory Type: Corsair DDR2 XMS2
6.Power Supply Type:
7.Operating System: WinXP (if I could get the DVD drive to work)

1. your a fool to buy MSI
2. newer boards (with ICH8?) have a raid config section perhaps?
Related resources
December 11, 2006 8:18:57 PM

Hello, this is my first post but after years of reading i guess it`s time :) 

I have the very same mobo as you. It actually has one ide connector onboard so you have to connect as master and slave....

you can set them up bij booting beyond the actual bios and then press a key to config de Jmicron controller.

The intel controller only supports the sata ports and they are shown in your bios. one sata and the ide is controlled by the Jmicron and should be set up through their own screen.

Don`t mean to diss you but maybe you should read the manual befor tossing things out of windows... :?

Hope this helped you.
December 15, 2006 10:40:13 PM

Here are the possibilities I have tried:

1) DVD-R in IDE - not detected
2) DVD-R in any SATA port (using IDE to SATA converter) - not detected
3) HD in SATA1 - not detected...needs to be setup with JMicron
4) HD in SATA2 - detected
5) Press control-J after (POST) to configure the JMicron controller - nothing happens

I have tried everything in the manual but I am actually not real impressed with the lack of description in the manual.

It sounds like if I could get the JMicron setup to come up then I could configure my IDE port to detect the DVD-R to be detected.
December 16, 2006 1:30:28 PM

Not that this means much to anyone on here but just need to vent some of my frustration with MSI. I posted my problem with being able to configure the JMicron controller on the MSI's website and their solution was to update the BIOS.

Unfortunately, to update the BIOS, their instructions require a WIN98 floppy disk. Who the hell still uses a floppy drive?
December 17, 2006 4:50:40 PM

Not that anyone cares but I finally just decided to spend $80 on a SATA Samsung DVD-RW drive and that fixed my problem. Thanks Intel for making life so difficult.
a c 92 V Motherboard
December 17, 2006 6:19:18 PM

So your still using SATA2 for the harddrive? Are you finally able to get into the Jmicro bios? Seems to me you have some motherboard issues, but if it now works don't worry about it....
December 17, 2006 7:27:09 PM

Yes, SATA2 for hard drive. I was never able to get into the JMicro setup. If IDE wasn't on it's way out then I might care more about it. For now, I am going to finally enjoy
December 29, 2006 8:17:48 PM

Hi,

If I might ask...I have the problem with no recognition of the CD/DVD drives. Unlike a lot of others, I do read the manual and have built a lot of PCs but this one is causing a problem. I'm under the impression that I enter the BIOS and change the IDE/RAID mode to RAID, located in the Integrated Peripheral section. Save and Exit and then during the POST, depress CTRL and J. This brings up the JMicro software, but I don't see anything that allows for configuring the CD or DVD R/W. I do notice that the only drive that is identified is the hard drive. So, I'm doing something wrong here. The hard drive connection is questionable. Should it be SATA 4 or SATA 1? I've tried both. Here's what strange. My normal procedure for a new PC is to boot (on CD) from a Western Digital installation CD which allows me to format the WD drive and prepare it for an Operating System load next. I remove that CD and insert the Windows operating system CD and off we go. Not this time. The WD CD fails to load the program saying that it doesn't see a CD ROM. Isn't that special. The program that was executed off the CD says it doesn't see the CD. Would you know what's not configured properly? I would like to finish this and I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks...Vince
December 29, 2006 11:51:33 PM

Your guess is as good as mine. I never got the IDE DVD drive to work. I decided to just buy the SATA DVD-RW. It works great.
a c 92 V Motherboard
December 30, 2006 4:59:02 AM

Quote:
Hi,
I'm under the impression that I enter the BIOS and change the IDE/RAID mode to RAID, located in the Integrated Peripheral section.

Why do you have it set to raid? You can't RAID optical drives AFAIK. Have you tried it setup as IDE?
July 10, 2009 10:25:26 AM

To enable the IDE1 connector on this motherboard:

BIOS -> Integrated Peripherals -> On-Chip ATA devices -> IDE/RAID Control -> IDE

Save and reboot.

After the POST, a screen will (briefly) come up telling you what HDDs/CDs you have plugged into the IDE1 connector. I don't know if you are able to boot off these, but they will certainly be available to the operating system (in my case Linux) after it boots.

This allowed me to add a couple of old (but fairly big) IDE drives I had lying around, might also work with IDE CD-ROMs/DVDs. System boots off a SATA HDD.

I have to say the manual is not particularly helpful... for the BIOS option above it says, "This item is available for you to enable/disable the onboard IDE RAID function." This makes you think that it's purely to do with RAID (which the above correspondents didn't want) and so I sympathise with their frustrated efforts.

Cheers,

Steve.
October 12, 2009 1:50:10 PM

Hello,

Oh what grief this mobo has given me. I recently moved house, and when plugging my pc in for the first time after 7 days the mobo will just not detect any of my drives. PC was in perfect working order before.

Not one of the drives are found, sata dvd, 5 sata hard drives.

1. I check all my har drives are in working order. Check.
2. Reset mobo by removing battery. check.
3. Boot to Bios, option to select boot order has disappeared.

I am guessing it's the IDE or SATA controller.

Any ideas guys, or anything i can rule out. ie power supply, damaged cpu?

Thanks
Skully
!