Confused_Chimp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Hi all,
Hope you can help me. I'm having problems wth my systems RAM. Running memtest is producing lots of errors. Is there anyway I can get memtest to produce a log file or a report showing the errors so that I can send it back with my memory to the supplier as evidence of the errors.
Cheers
CC

Hi all,
Hope you can help me. I'm having problems wth my systems RAM. Running memtest is producing lots of errors. Is there anyway I can get memtest to produce a log file or a report showing the errors so that I can send it back with my memory to the supplier as evidence of the errors.
Cheers
CC

send it back as "fails memtest" - they should be smart enough to find those kind of issues

Confused_Chimp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Cheers guys for the help so far.
I've been in contact with the manufacturer to get their opinion on it and so far they have been very helpful and quick at getting back to me.
I've emailed my contact with screen shots showing memtest crashing and have followed the instruction they have given me so far.
The next thing they are asking me to do is to increase the voltage a little. Now I'm running at what I understand to be the stock voltage and always have been (i.e. I've not overclocked my machine ever). But is there a chance that memory can be underpowered too much and produce lots of errors in memtest?
Cheers
CC

Confused_Chimp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I'm running OCZ® Platinum Series 2GB DDR PC3200 400Mhz, Dual Channel Kit with Enhanced Latency and Platinum Heatspreader on motherboarf Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe.
I've run memtest with each stick running on its own and both are having the same problems. I've taken a picture of the monitor when memtest crashes.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p217/Confused_Chimp/Computer/Dsc06864b.jpg
and
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p217/Confused_Chimp/Computer/Dsc06863b.jpg

Note that both crashes occured at identicle times and with almost identicle number of errors. All the errors are in test 6. I'm not sure why they passed all the test from 1 to 5. but 6 is where they have problems. Also not the very high numbers of errors.
But to be honest, would you expect a system with this many errors to be able to boot and run at all? As mine can, it runs everything, but crashes more than I want it to. But with this many errors I wouldn't have thought it would have got that far at all. But I was hoping someone may be able to tell me why test 6 causes it to fail?
I obviously don't know the results of the subsequent tests because it never gets past test 6.
Cheers for any help.
CC

Mondoman

Splendid
Note that both crashes occured at identicle times and with almost identicle number of errors. All the errors are in test 6.
This would also make me suspicious that the underlying problem is something other than the memory.

But to be honest, would you expect a system with this many errors to be able to boot and run at all?
Yes, but your files may slowly be becoming more and more corrupted. Once you figure out the problem, it's probably worthwhile to reinstall Windows and all your programs, and restore any key data files from backups from before this started happening.

Since it may very well be something other than the memory, please list the model numbers of EVERY component in your system, including things like the power supply and CPU cooler.