Toshiba Satellite S607

DevlinX

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2002
I finally purchased the S607 from CircuitCity. (I can return it within two weeks if I do not like it).

Display: No pixel-errors, very nice, good vertical viewing angle

Sound: Outstanding (Harman Kardon, with subwoofer)...it really makes fun to listen to mp3s

Heat: The laptop gets quite warm but you can still touch it. However, you should not place it onto your knees for a long time (according to the manual --> low-heat damage)

Noise: The fan seldomly switches on and does not run very loud. The HD is not very quiet...but this also applies to other notebook harddrives.

Benchmark: So far, I only tried Mad Onion's 3DMark2001SE (@1024*768) and got a result of about 4980 (tried it two times).

Further information: See Toshiba Forum and CNET Forum

Question: I would like to find out whether the Videoram (only 32MB) is insufficient. Do you have any recommendation which benchmark I should try? Where do I get it?

Thx,
Devlin

DevlinX

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2002
In the meantime I ran 3DMark2001SE ten times in a row and can confirm the above result. There were no heat problems.

Moreover, I have started to overclock the S607 with Powerstrip and reached a score of more than 5300 (so far)..

I still want to test whether there are certain conditions under which the 32MB of VRAM (compared to the Dell's 64MB) are not sufficient and slow down the computer. Unfortunately, I do not have Aquamark 2.3 (and Aquamark 2.1 does not run on my S607).

I feel that a game which requires more than 32MB of VRAM may run too slow to play anyway (even with 64megs).

Moreover, I would be very interested to know about the heat that the IBM A31p produces. Does it also get quite warm or is it significantly cooler than other P4 notebooks?

Devlin

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DevlinX on 04/18/02 07:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
Are you having any problems with the display when playing fast paced games? I've always been under the impression that screens' response rates weren't good enough for FPS games.

DevlinX

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2002
Actually, I do not play that much. So far I have only tried: Comanche4, 3DMark2001 (Max Payne, Car Game) and Counterstrike.

The movements are fluent...and they do not seem to blur (at least not to me).

Note that the S607 has a new generation display with a faster response time (allegedly, only 25ms - which should be good for up to 40 frames per second...but I am not sure how they count). It is definitely much better than the display of my previous Compaq Presario 710 US. I believe that the Flexview display of the IBM A31p, the Enhanced UXGA of the Dell and the Personal Theatre of Toshiba are manufactured by the same company.

Regards,

Dev

DevlinX

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2002
The fastest harddrives which are currently available for notebooks are the 5400 RPM drives from IBM (60GB) and Toshiba (40GB).

There are already benchmarks for the IBM harddrive...

http://www.de.tomshardware.com/mobile/02q2/020430/geforce4go-20.html

The maximum read is about 22500, the average is about 17500

I did tried HD Tach with the S607.

The maximum read was about 28000, the average about 23000.

I guess that Toshiba rulez and does not even know it :))

Cheers,

Devlin

G

i'm currently using the S607. it's pretty nice. once you get the fan program from this guy. you have to register it for a buck 50. so it's pretty cheap. but once you have it on, and keep the fan always on, my laptop runs really really cool. :)

Do a search on yahoo or google for fan toshiba.

G

hey in tomshardware new article about the geforce 4, i notice it says the geforce 4 440 have a 8 gb bandwidth. I think the toshiba one is using the geforce 4 440. If you notice the sticker you got on the right side it says "Get 32MB VRAM DDR FOR EXTREME MULTIMEDIA WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE4 440 GO". Also if you check the driver it says it's using the geforce 440 Go.

is that the 128 bit one or the 64 bit one?

DevlinX

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2002
It's the 128bit interface. Note, however, that the mobile Geforce4 Go has a slower clock rate than the Geforce4 MX. I therefore believe that a desktop with a Geforce4 440MX will be faster than a notebook with a Geforce4 Go (unless your overclock the mobile version which is possible :)

Skull_Angel

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
If the S607 or had 64 megs of memory for the Geforce4 Go I'd have bought it by now. Guess I'm too picky. I'll probably get a Dell 8200. Anyone know if the Super XGA screen for the Dell laptop has the same response time as the
Toshiba S607?

DevlinX

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2002
The Dell is certainly a fine machine. I believe that its Supersharp UXGA display has also a fast response time.

As regards the 64megs of videoram: It has still to be demonstrated that there are ANY games which require 64megs and which still run fast enough to play on a geforce4 go.

Also note that one of the biggest advantages of the Toshiba is the lightning fast harddrive which is apparantly much faster than the IBMs 60gig drive. (This has not been tested yet.)

By the way, did I mention that I paid less than 2250 bucks for the 607 (because of CircuitCity's cool 30-day price matching guarantee)?