Go 7600 worth it?

Pkin

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I was thinking of buying a laptop, but most places would give me packages of unwanted hardware and software, and sell their laptops for insane amounts of money. That is, until I found a place where I could customize my own one, and everything's customizable except the videocard. It's either integrated or the GeForce Go 7600, with 512 mb.

First of all, is this a decent card and how does it stand compared to similar cards? I will mostly be using it for gaming, watching movies and doing some general work. I don't require it to play all the latest game with all the details etc, as long as I'll be able to play them without noticeable drops in performance. Considering my current card (a GeForce 3), I'm not very fastidious. Still, I don't want to buy something that will get very outdated very quickly. You know what I mean.

The screen is quite small, so I'll want to connect it to my TV when watching movies, and perhaps even while playing games. Is this possible, without horrible resolution (the TV isn't too big either) or performance drop? Will I be able to play, say Battlefield 2 and WoW, on the TV?

I appreciate all kinds of comments!

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I don't know too much about the Go7600 but a possible alternative is a Dell Inspiron E1705 and opt for the optional Go7900GS. I have an Inspiron 9300 which is an older version of the E1705. I am still pretty happy with its performance with a 17" widescreen, 2.13GHz Pentium M, 1GB DDR2-533 and an overclocked Go6800. 8)

Pkin

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I'd get the 7900 if the laptop was large enough. I'm aiming for a 15'4, so 7600 is pretty much the best I can get. Just wondering if it's able to do what I want it to, and whether it's priceworthy or not.

Pkin

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I wrote it in the topic post, WoW, BF2, and even some of the newest games though perhaps not with the highest detail levels.

Pkin

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Laptops are a bit too limited for gaming. It's best to stick with a full sized PC for gaming. The 7600 won't get you very far and newer gamis coming out right now will suck on that GPU. I know you would have to keep the setting pretty low to play Oblivion at decent FPS.

Are there any other factors apart from the Graphics card which will affect the FPS? For instance, it will have a Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz (T7200 4mb), 2048 mb DDR2, and a 7200 rpm harddrive. Will none of this help it out?

Oh, and I wonder if I can watch movies and play games on the TV with it? It doesn't have a DVI though.

Thank you for the responses.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
my bad, didnt see the games you listed. on low-medium settings the games should run fine. the hardware is good, but you're most likely going to bottleneck at the gpu. as for the whole tv thing, im not sure. i dont tend to watch movies or game on my tv cuz it has a low resolution.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Are there any other factors apart from the Graphics card which will affect the FPS? For instance, it will have a Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz (T7200 4mb), 2048 mb DDR2, and a 7200 rpm harddrive. Will none of this help it out?

Oh, and I wonder if I can watch movies and play games on the TV with it? It doesn't have a DVI though.

It sounds to me like you would be better off getting the Inspiron that I mentioned above. Of course you would have to suffer with a 17" widescreen monitor :wink: . I'm sure it has DVI.

My experience is that S-video from a computer doesn't look that good. It would be okay for a cheaper smaller TV but if you have a nice, big, HDTV you probably want DVI. I haven't actually used DVI to a TV yet but I want to get a cable for it. I need a DVI to HDMI to connect my laptop to my parents' 42" widescreen LCD TV.

Pkin

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006

It sounds to me like you would be better off getting the Inspiron that I mentioned above. Of course you would have to suffer with a 17" widescreen monitor :wink: . I'm sure it has DVI.

My experience is that S-video from a computer doesn't look that good. It would be okay for a cheaper smaller TV but if you have a nice, big, HDTV you probably want DVI. I haven't actually used DVI to a TV yet but I want to get a cable for it. I need a DVI to HDMI to connect my laptop to my parents' 42" widescreen LCD TV.

Sounds like s-video should be okay, since my TV is far from a nice, big HDTV. I'd get a 17" if I could, but it wouldn't be really portable anymore. I'm probably going to move it around a lot in my uni, and this deal is the best I can get financially with these kinds of specs. I'll suffer from the screen size when playing games or watching movies, that's why I hope I can use the TV for that! :)

Do you happen to have experience playing games on the TV? Does the TV act as a simple monitor or will it drain more resources somehow?

Used to play homeworld on my tv.
Worked OK, but your resolution is limited.
You will also have a hard time reading any menus or ingame text.

The rest of the hardware is decent, but it will be limited in gaming by the 7600.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
For S-video, the output is limited to something like 1024x768 so you might be okay with a midrange graphics card. The only thing I have done recently with a TV connected to a computer is show digital pictures that my parents took on a vacation to Australia (I still live at home because I'm a college student). I guess if you don't think you can afford a computer with a better graphics card then it sounds like you have a pretty good one. You might still want to check out what Dell has because they do offer coupons, though they are currently all expired on this page: http://www.gottadeal.com/dell.php?category=inspiron

Do you have a link for the laptop you are looking at?

Pkin

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Used to play homeworld on my tv.
Worked OK, but your resolution is limited.
You will also have a hard time reading any menus or ingame text.

The rest of the hardware is decent, but it will be limited in gaming by the 7600.

Hmm, that's what I'm worried about.

For S-video, the output is limited to something like 1024x768 so you might be okay with a midrange graphics card. The only thing I have done recently with a TV connected to a computer is show digital pictures that my parents took on a vacation to Australia (I still live at home because I'm a college student). I guess if you don't think you can afford a computer with a better graphics card then it sounds like you have a pretty good one. You might still want to check out what Dell has because they do offer coupons, though they are currently all expired on this page: http://www.gottadeal.com/dell.php?category=inspiron

Do you have a link for the laptop you are looking at?

Unfortunately it's in Swedish, so links wouldn't be of much use. ;)
This is the way I've configured it (everything put inside of it is configurable, apart from motherboard and graphics) :

Zepto Znote 6615WD

15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 WD (matte)
2.00 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo T7200 4MB
Intel® 945PM / ICH7-M Chipset
nVidia Geforce Go 7600 512MB (dedicated, 400/750 Mhz)
60GB 7200rpm SATA Hitachi (for the system and software, will add an external to this for media)
Kingston 2048MB PC5300 667MHz DDR2 (2x1024)
DVD-RW Dual Layer
4 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x Firewire, 1 x VGA
6 cells battery (might consider adding more)
Built-in webcam, microphone, 3i1 card reader, Bluetooth, IR
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG 54Mbit network
100/1000 Megabit network, 56K modem
Weight 2,7 kg

Oh, I found the English site too (copy-paste): http://zepto.com/(oh4dvb45zzqr0s45n...age=Configurator&configurationid=C2IsComdiMEk

Translated from my currency, it'll be something right under $2000 including taxes and all fees. Keep in mind that computers are generally more expensive here than in the USA, so it's difficult to compare prices.

nigelf

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
i have a mobilityx1600 (which performance wise is exactly the same as a go7600) in my laptop. i can play bf2 on nearly all high (i have shadows/lights turned down a bit so i can see better, 2x AA) with still decent fps (60ish)

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I did a little poking around on the net and I found this evaluation of an Alienware similar to the computer you are considering:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3134&article=Core+2+Duo+Performance
It looks like it performs similarly to my system with an overclocked Go6800. Probably a little better than mine at stock speeds but I have the Go6800 overclocked from 290/590 to 350/700. 8)

I don't play WoW so I can't comment on performance there. On BF2 my only limitations are quantity of RAM (I have 1GB instead of 2GB) and hardrive speed (I only have 5400rpm instead of 7200rpm). I haven't played it in a little while but I think I might even have like 2x AA turned on and I use the highest resolution that fits on the screen, 1024x768 I think though it could be 1152x864 or something like that. Native resolution on mine is 1440x900. One thing about the widescreens, if you game on the notebook screen at all you will want to make sure that the bios is set to leave the edges of the screen blank when the output resolution is below the native one. Otherwise, the image will be distorted in games that don't support widescreen resolutions.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
You have fallen into the common trap, name a video card that isn't high end because it fits your budget, then have someone come along and claim "get this more expensive one instead" or "wishy washy for gaming" (again comparing to some benchmark of maximum detail settings against more expensive cards.

Do these children really think it's NEWS that a more expensive video card is faster? They really think their contribution is useful? I don't think there's anyone that needs to be told that faster parts will game better and are more expensive.

The real issue is what the budget is, versus the uses, and which of those uses is most important. On a budget, obviously nobody can have it all, the more expensive systems would not exist!

Now the real answer - The integrated video is not an option for remotely modern games. The add-on 7600 is able to play at moderate detail settings and there is no worth or not worth, either you get it and gain the level of performance that your budget allows, or you don't and save more money, but can't play remotely moderate games at normal details or resolutions. The whole purpose of that card is to game, at a given price-point, so there really isn't any reason for this topic to exist.

Pkin

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I did a little poking around on the net and I found this evaluation of an Alienware similar to the computer you are considering:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3134&article=Core+2+Duo+Performance
It looks like it performs similarly to my system with an overclocked Go6800. Probably a little better than mine at stock speeds but I have the Go6800 overclocked from 290/590 to 350/700. 8)

I don't play WoW so I can't comment on performance there. On BF2 my only limitations are quantity of RAM (I have 1GB instead of 2GB) and hardrive speed (I only have 5400rpm instead of 7200rpm). I haven't played it in a little while but I think I might even have like 2x AA turned on and I use the highest resolution that fits on the screen, 1024x768 I think though it could be 1152x864 or something like that. Native resolution on mine is 1440x900. One thing about the widescreens, if you game on the notebook screen at all you will want to make sure that the bios is set to leave the edges of the screen blank when the output resolution is below the native one. Otherwise, the image will be distorted in games that don't support widescreen resolutions.

Brilliant, that evaluation was just what I was looking for! From the comments, I guess the card will do what I want it to. I'll probably order the computer soon (special offer before Christmas), and I might return later with BIOS questions.

Thank you Scougs and the rest of you. I posted identical threads on other forums and this is the only place where I got some feedback.

You have fallen into the common trap, name a video card that isn't high end because it fits your budget, then have someone come along and claim "get this more expensive one instead" or "wishy washy for gaming" (again comparing to some benchmark of maximum detail settings against more expensive cards.

Do these children really think it's NEWS that a more expensive video card is faster? They really think their contribution is useful? I don't think there's anyone that needs to be told that faster parts will game better and are more expensive.

The real issue is what the budget is, versus the uses, and which of those uses is most important. On a budget, obviously nobody can have it all, the more expensive systems would not exist!

Now the real answer - The integrated video is not an option for remotely modern games. The add-on 7600 is able to play at moderate detail settings and there is no worth or not worth, either you get it and gain the level of performance that your budget allows, or you don't and save more money, but can't play remotely moderate games at normal details or resolutions. The whole purpose of that card is to game, at a given price-point, so there really isn't any reason for this topic to exist.

Ironically, the reply which questions my topic's right to exist doesn't have much of a point until the last paragraph. Usually, price means quality, but far from always. As someone with little knowledge of mobile hardware, I wanted to see if this Go 7600 is considered a decent card or not, and now I know. Fair enough?

Hameedo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE ?

seriously every body in this thread except "I" needs to provide more accurate and actual informations .. and also do a little searching in the field of budget cards to learn more about it .

Ironically a 6600GT can still play many games with a very good visual quality (med-high) and it's basically inferior to the 7600 .

so to the OP .. you'll be fine with that 7600 ..with current generation games (2006) ..consider medium settings at 1024 x 768 ..with previous 2005, 2004 games .. scale up to maximum at the same resolution .. but unfortuantely ..many 2007 games will be like mosters .. so you'll have to go with low settings .

Good Luck .

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Thank you Scougs and the rest of you. I posted identical threads on other forums and this is the only place where I got some feedback.

Hey, I'm glad I was able to help you out. Sorry I didn't come out with it sooner. One added benefit to getting a 15.4" screen and a Go7600 vs. a 17" screen and a Go7900 is lower power consumption. I'm on a fairly short tether with my laptop. About 2 Hr. maximum with the monitor as dim as it will go and a lot of tweaking to get the most battery life possible. I like tweaking my systems so I have undervolted the processor and underclocked the GPU in 2D mode.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
I did buy a few months ago a laptop with a Go7600 (check my sig at bottom). It will play most games reasonably well at moderate/high settings. I don't plan on gaming past 1024x768.

Opting for a mobile 7900, a laptop will be sooooo expensive that trying to substitute a laptop for a desktop gaming machine is just wasting money, imo.
It will be "better", but it would still just be a laptop.

physco827

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
my buddy has a go 7600 in his laptop with 1440x900 resolution. He can run bf2 on all highs with 4x antialiasing. He gets about 30-40 frames. If you want more you can turn down the aa a little and lighting to medium maybe but you will be fine.

That pc has about the same specs but a worse cpu (u are looking at a 7200). Both 2 gigs and a fast hard drive. I would say its a good choice for the games you are looking to play.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
this is all great info as i am planning a laptop very similar to this =)
(im from denmark too)
i am going with 1k ram and a bit smaller cpu though i think.. it is for schoolwork / exams and for some "easier" lan gaming.
(easier as it is way easier then having to move someones or my own desktop computer)

but this was what i thought about the system as well, it will do the current new games at med settings, and for the next two years you should have np with low settings.

thanks for the info =P

-koogco

You should be able to OC using Coolbits and AtiTool.

I OC'ed a friend GFGO6800 in his DELL 9300 with Coolbits, don't remember the numbers wasn't huge, but did a good job on core and great on memory IIRC, main thing is it helped him for FartCry and Oblivion smooth out the low fps.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
i got a 7600 Go (dv8000t)...only problem is its a pain in the ass for drivers lol im still sing the ones HP has in it..no problems though...

Performance isnt 1/2 bad (its a laptop) ironically its faster then my rig....but then again its also a dual Core and 2 gigs of DDR2 Ram...hmm BF2 i can run everything on high and get avg frame rate of 50-70frames, farcry meduim/high (SM 3.0 HDR) and get 30-60ps ...that HDR kills it X_X but i dont mind 2 much..

i got it because it was the only 1 that was in my price rang and i needed a decent graphics card for Parametric Modeling and CAD and to play games at college instead of taking my rig. (aerospace engineering major...it makes me cry late at night T_T )

IMO i wouldn't over clock a Laptop :|

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
How did you OC the Go6800? and how much?

I have the same laptop, hence the question :twisted:
I used coolbits (free download). It adds a menu to the driver settings.

I've got it overclocked from 290core/590mem to 350core/700mem.

I also have done the pin-mod to get a Pentium M 725 to run at 2.13GHz.