Stop Powering Up Device when SD card inserted/removed

March 13, 2005 11:09:14 PM

Hi,

My apologies if this has been answered somewhere but I can't seem to
find anything relating to this problem/feature.

Basically I have a 1Gb SD card which I use between my laptop, digital
camera, PDA and desktop PC for general file sharing / storage. I
typically leave it in my PDA as I take that everywhere.

When I take the SD card out of the PDA, the PDA powers up and I have
to turn it off. Equally, when I put the SD card back into the PDA, it
powers up and I have to again turn it off.

Is there an option to stop this? In the registry or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

PDA details:
Model: HP Ipaq 2210
OS: MS Pocket PC Version 4.20.0 (Build 14053)

Thanks

Darryl
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:53:43 AM

Hi
This is by design, the Pocket PC needs to registrate that a memory card has
been inserted or taken out so the drive can be enabled or disabled.

If it didnt power and registered thise changes, other programs might crash
when they fx. try to access somehing that is not there.

Regards,

Allan Boegild Pedersen
MCSA 2003
"dazza" <darryl.cain@gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:D 1ebba92.0503132009.1df4b37f@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> My apologies if this has been answered somewhere but I can't seem to
> find anything relating to this problem/feature.
>
> Basically I have a 1Gb SD card which I use between my laptop, digital
> camera, PDA and desktop PC for general file sharing / storage. I
> typically leave it in my PDA as I take that everywhere.
>
> When I take the SD card out of the PDA, the PDA powers up and I have
> to turn it off. Equally, when I put the SD card back into the PDA, it
> powers up and I have to again turn it off.
>
> Is there an option to stop this? In the registry or something?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> PDA details:
> Model: HP Ipaq 2210
> OS: MS Pocket PC Version 4.20.0 (Build 14053)
>
> Thanks
>
> Darryl
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 11:13:01 AM

Darryl,

As a general rule, this is done by design so the PPC can re-register the
card (if you will) and know where the applications located on the card are
in relation to their shortcuts in the various menus.

Having said this, some OEMs do have an ability to turn this "feature" off.
My ViewSonic for example, has an Advanced Settings in which I can turn this
off. Not all OEMs have this type of function however.

I went over to Tweaks2K2's website (http://www.tweaks2k2.com) to see if that
application had such a feature but I did not see it listed. You may want to
contact Frank (Tweak2K2's author) and see if it is there and not listed or
in the plans. He does a good job of updating this application.

Otherwise, you could check with HP to see if they have such a tweak as well.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"dazza" <darryl.cain@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 1ebba92.0503132009.1df4b37f@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> My apologies if this has been answered somewhere but I can't seem to
> find anything relating to this problem/feature.
>
> Basically I have a 1Gb SD card which I use between my laptop, digital
> camera, PDA and desktop PC for general file sharing / storage. I
> typically leave it in my PDA as I take that everywhere.
>
> When I take the SD card out of the PDA, the PDA powers up and I have
> to turn it off. Equally, when I put the SD card back into the PDA, it
> powers up and I have to again turn it off.
>
> Is there an option to stop this? In the registry or something?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> PDA details:
> Model: HP Ipaq 2210
> OS: MS Pocket PC Version 4.20.0 (Build 14053)
>
> Thanks
>
> Darryl
March 14, 2005 9:07:46 PM

This does not happen with my 4150?

> Darryl,

> As a general rule, this is done by design so the PPC can re-register the
> card (if you will) and know where the applications located on the card
> are in relation to their shortcuts in the various menus.

> Having said this, some OEMs do have an ability to turn this "feature"
> off. My ViewSonic for example, has an Advanced Settings in which I can
> turn this off. Not all OEMs have this type of function however.

> I went over to Tweaks2K2's website (http://www.tweaks2k2. com) to see if
> that application had such a feature but I did not see it listed. You may
> want to contact Frank (Tweak2K2's author) and see if it is there and not
> listed or in the plans. He does a good job of updating this application.

> Otherwise, you could check with HP to see if they have such a tweak as
> well.

> Regards,

> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! http://www. clintonfitch.
> com

> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!

> "dazza" <darryl.cain@gmail.com> wrote in message news:D 1ebba92.
> 0503132009.1df4b37f@posting. google.com...
>> Hi,

>> My apologies if this has been answered somewhere but I can't seem to
>> find anything relating to this problem/feature.

>> Basically I have a 1Gb SD card which I use between my laptop, digital
>> camera, PDA and desktop PC for general file sharing / storage. I
>> typically leave it in my PDA as I take that everywhere.

>> When I take the SD card out of the PDA, the PDA powers up and I have to
>> turn it off. Equally, when I put the SD card back into the PDA, it
>> powers up and I have to again turn it off.

>> Is there an option to stop this? In the registry or something?

>> Any help would be appreciated.

>> PDA details:
>> Model: HP Ipaq 2210 OS: MS Pocket PC Version 4.20.0 (Build
>> 14053)

>> Thanks

>> Darryl

Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:06:04 -0330

March 14, 2005 9:07:47 PM

Hello,

It is possible HP has changed this function in the 4150. I do not know that
for sure as I do not own either of the devices in this thread.

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

!