Sign in with
Your question

Good Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2006 1:03:22 AM

HI, I am not to big of a noob when it comes to PC's but havent built one in a couple years, and was just wondering what would be something good for round 700$?

Things i dont need:
Monitor (have 22" widescreen LCD)
mabe ram i have 1 gig DDR1

Things i am looking for:
2 PCi express slots
512 ram Video cards
ram if my ddr is outdated

not sure about pci express, but from what i gather it seems the best way for gaming witht 2 cards correct?

not sure what type of hard drive i want cause i dont know the newer types i alwas have used IDE but SATA and RAID seem to be the way to go

I plan on playing Vanguard : Saga of hero's and as of right now wont play Elder scrolls Oblivion on lowest settings =(

Thanx in advance =)

Adj

More about : good gaming

December 12, 2006 2:24:10 AM

Quite frankly SLI will be hard to justify for the price you want. Just the video cards alone would eat up the $700 easily. As you have a high resolution monitor you would actually benefit from SLI but in reality one 7900 is still going to beat out two 7600's even at that resolution and for the same cost.

If you can afford it the 7950 GX2 might be the best but that video card alone will cost $500 (two 7900gt's would cost the same).

Also, the amount of ram isn't as important as how it's used, the pipelines are more important.

Do you already have a cpu and motherboard? Do you need everything? Please tell us exactly what you need and what you don't.
December 12, 2006 2:51:18 AM

Quote:
HI, I am not to big of a noob when it comes to PC's but havent built one in a couple years, and was just wondering what would be something good for round 700$?

Things i dont need:
Monitor (have 22" widescreen LCD)
mabe ram i have 1 gig DDR1

Things i am looking for:
2 PCi express slots
512 ram Video cards
ram if my ddr is outdated

not sure about pci express, but from what i gather it seems the best way for gaming witht 2 cards correct?

not sure what type of hard drive i want cause i dont know the newer types i alwas have used IDE but SATA and RAID seem to be the way to go

I plan on playing Vanguard : Saga of hero's and as of right now wont play Elder scrolls Oblivion on lowest settings =(

Thanx in advance =)

Adj

well, you may want to SLI just because you have a 22" monitor, but its not necessary. (and you wont SLI on a budget of $700, unless you want to get two crap cards that are a waste of money)

i would advise a core duo 2, (which means DDR2) but 1 gig should be good for now, i would advise you try to maximize your processor and graphics power first, and worry about adding the frills (SLI, more hard disk space, 2GB of ram total) later, because your not going to get an all frills tower on $700.

yes go PCI express because you will need that for SLI later, and just so you don't buy a dead horse (AGP). search around and price check (i recommend www.newegg.com) and see what you can put together, then post the specs, so we can see, and tell you our thoughts. remember not to skimp on the PSU, for SLI i would recommend either a really solid 600 watt, or a decent 700 watt (that way if you SLI later, you wont have to worry about your PSU)

be aware tho, using SLI as an upgrade option is not very cost effective, so you should add a second card, not to long after you finish the primary build (i would budget a total of at least $1000 for just the tower, if i wanted a decent SLI system, if you were to just build it with two cards to start).

as for hard drives, for those on a budget the seagate 7200.10's are a good deal, i recommend the 320GB one, as its the most GB/$ that you can get around $100.

also dont go to much under $200 for the video card, with a screen the size of yours, nothing under that would suffice (however, 2 7900GS's would work nicely in SLI, and they overclock really well, if your into that kind of thing they are about $180 each)

but you should go and do some price checking, then post the links to the parts you want, so we can review them.
!