HELP! need an NAS, but don't know which one to choose

May 9, 2006
hello ppl. new here. :D

we have an existing home network of 2 PCs (both on Win XPs) & we're using a D-Link DI-604 router.

so, im trying to add a network drive to this network. since most network drives also function as a router, i don't mind replacing my router w/ a network drive & selling my old router. but i have a few restrictions w/ getting a network drive:

1.) i can only afford it at lower than $ 180 US ( the chaeper the better)
2.) it's gotta have a decent performance (read/write/LAN connection)
4.) should also function as a print server
3.) should only be an enclosure to a hard drive i provide
since i expect that a network drive that already comes with a hard drive of it's own would come up more than $200 US. so why not use on of my disposed hard drives, right?
the spare hard drives i have are not USB enclosed, so i need to connect then via IDE

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Most NAS are not routers. And I would not want everything in one box.

I use a Snap2200 600gig unit for my 5 computers. I currently run in raid 1 (mirror), 270gig. It has worked flawless since the day I put it on line.

If you have a old computer laying around take a look at FreeNAS it is a SourceForge project. It is in beta, but is working. They keep adding features with every release. Currently it only supports 1 user, but there are work arounds. I currently have 2 maching running the FreeNAS in RAID1. It is built off of FreeBSD, so features can be added.

May 9, 2006
OK then.. forgive me for being a novice.

what if i:

- increase the budget to $200 USD
&
- only keep the restrictions 3 & 4 above

* the USB hard drive is still not an option, coz i really don't need a portable hard drive, so have no intention of buying one, if it's only to be used for network space.

*i don't have an old PC lying around. though i've actually considered getting a barebone PC & equiping it w/ said HDD & an old SDRAM. the problem w/ getting them though is that, "OK we have another PC...shouldn't we be putting this into good use, instead of just letting it hold our shared files??". also, PCs generally consume more power than NAS's right?

hope i can get more help w/ this one.. :wink:

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The FreeNAS does not have a print server as part of the standalone project. If you are familiar with FreeBSD (Unix) inviroment it is not difficult to a add.

Performance the Snap2200 can only do just over 4meg/sec in a raid1 setup. My FreeNAS box is 8.5meg/sec which is not to bad for a software raid on a 10/100 network, max would be 12meg/sec.

Price: Snap 2200 sell for around 200-300 on ebay. Your biggest cost will be the hd. Some routers have print servers. You could also add a print server to most any printes these days, for around $50. Some Printer can have nic cards installed. I'm using a network printer w/168meg of ram.

I'm afraid your budget is a little light to get some good equipment.

There are some older models of Snaps 1000,1100 arre single drive units they sell pretty cheap, the 1100 is the better choice.

The Snap 2000 is a 2 drive unit that uses software raid these sell for under 200 on ebay. If you go for one of these you want one with a SN > 30k.