Good time to upgrade graphics card? Ditch Dual Monitors?

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
Hello everyone,

Is it a good time to upgrade video cards or should I wait until Vista comes out? I have a 7800 GT and it runs most things ok. I want better graphics but I fear that It might be advantagous to wait a little bit longer before upgrading. My card runs most games, but improvements would certainly be nice.

I also use a viewsonic crt + hyundai L90D+ lcd. should I trade them both for a widescreen gaming monitor? Anandtech said thew 2005something Widescreen (1680x1040) or something. Can't find it anywhere.

cya, thx

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Looks like you're pushing the point of diminishing return with that card there. If you ditched what you have now and upgraded, you wouldn't have much of an upgrade path anyway, and it would yield marginal gains at least. I say wait until the DX10 cards mature before you upgrade, and by that time, vista will have been out for a month or two and many of the bugs (hopefully) worked out.

About ditching dual monitors? You may want to do it. I had a dual monitor setup for some time, and it was kick butt, but when I got my first LCD, I couldn't stand to look at my CRT anymore, so I dumped it in the attic. You seem to be fine with your current setup, but you want more obviously. You may want to trade the CRT for whatever you can get, and keep your LCD (if you like it) and then get a good gaming monitor. Then you have gaming, dual screen, and deskspace. That's what I'd do if I were looking to do a graphics upgrade of that magnitude in the near future. But that's just my opinion. I wonder what others think...

TRENDING THREADS