Help me chose: Athlon 64 X2 5200+ VS. Core 2 Duo E6400?

Esafix

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
System is

2 GB DDR2 800
Geforce 8800GTS

But which CPU should I get? (no over clocking)

Total system price differs less then $10 so that makes no difference either but makes it harder to chose...

franatium

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I would go for the E6400 because although the performance is similar its looking like it will be better to stick with intel for this coming year if you plan to upgrade at all.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I would go for the E6400 because although the performance is similar its looking like it will be better to stick with intel for this coming year if you plan to upgrade at all.

Haha, well if you've got the benchmarks for the Stars processors...show them to me.

This guy's a fanboy, things could go either way this upcoming year. If you're only options are those two, go with the 5200+.

edit - if you want to overclock, go for the 6400. You'll be able to get a lot more performance out of it, then, more than the 5200+, even overclocked (probably).

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Yes, when overclocking, AMD doesn't stand a chance.
This because to have similar performance, the X2 needs to be clocked significantly higher (2.6GHz VS 2.13GHz), and the maximum overclock potential of AMD is 3.0-3.2GHz, while C2D could reach 3.5GHz or maybe even more (and it would take an AMD 4.0+GHz to match that in performance).
But if you don't want to overclock and the price is the same, the 5200+ is a good choice.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
6400...Same performance, and $100 cheaper. If u decide to OC later (which u most likely will), the 6400 has much more potential.

gse1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I'd say get the E6400.

The Core 2 line is totally new and is going to have quite a lengthy lifespan ahead of it (well, in IT terms anyway)

The AMD line is wheezing along now compared to the Core 2, much like the old Pentium 4/D line has been wheezing along previously. AMD will be desperate to bring out new technology to help them compete on performance again, this means their existing processor line is likely to have a relatively short future.

I suspect Intel is holding back on releasing higher clock speeds until it needs to, waiting for AMD to make a play and then respond to it quickly.

Anyway, Core 2 is new technology and it's going to be around for a while, meaning you'll be future-proofing your PC much better. Get the right motherboard and you'll be able to upgrade to quad core later on (or maybe even beyond that, 8 cores?)

phil_scnu

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
for a performance pc.
nothing but core2
if oc later, defect most of amd line.

for other range(lower price), sempron & amd x2.
but they won't go with the Gefore8 anyway..... :)

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
System is

2 GB DDR2 800
Geforce 8800GTS

But which CPU should I get? (no over clocking)

Total system price differs less then $10 so that makes no difference either but makes it harder to chose...

The 2 cpus are pretty much the same in overall performance, but personally i would get the E6400 (lower power consumption).

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
There are some factors being overlooked...
The AMD CPU has onboard memory controller - so AM2 CPUs may cost more but the mobos are usually less expensive.
Also, Core2 CPU could save some money on memory as DDR2-667 is perfect.
AM2 works best with DDR2-800 (and you will need better if OCing).
So: the three should be priced up together, ie. CPU/mobo/RAM. This is why he says overall cost is comparable.
But as for just CPU, lemme see here...
The x2 5200+ is $465 CDN; even an x2 4600+ is $300 bucks!
The E6400 is only $260 CDN (and memory costs less too).
You would have to get a free mobo to make AM2 worthwhile...
However, I build a lot of AM2 systems using A64 3800+ (single-core) @2.4GHz which is a good deal and still very fast.
But x2 5200+!? No thanks LoL - I can get a mighty E6600 for $365 bucks ($100 less).
Regards

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
y'all are so drunk on this OC crap, 2.5GHz is enough for anyone except the most "extreme over the top moneys no limit gotta have the fastest chip in the world i got bragging rights gamer"...
3GHz for servers and workstaions running multiple apps...
Back before we had access to dual-core chips and megaspeed cpu's overclocking was necessary to achieve the required performance levels for a specific program to run correctly....
Now it's just a game of who has the fastest processor, never mind the fact that it's overkill and mere mortals cannot harness the full potential of said speed-demon......but it's still cool.
Focus your energy on something constructive, like using all that power to create world peace....
I'm not singling you out bro, just hitching a ride on your thread

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Dog! Great post, I agree completely. I was gonna say myself... (but not as eloquently).
The nice A64 at 2.4GHz is fantastic for most people.
I could buy three of them for those prices! Heheh...

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
y'all are so drunk on this OC crap, 2.5GHz is enough for anyone except the most "extreme over the top moneys no limit gotta have the fastest chip in the world i got bragging rights gamer"...
3GHz for servers and workstaions running multiple apps...
Back before we had access to dual-core chips and megaspeed cpu's overclocking was necessary to achieve the required performance levels for a specific program to run correctly....
Now it's just a game of who has the fastest processor, never mind the fact that it's overkill and mere mortals cannot harness the full potential of said speed-demon......but it's still cool.
Focus your energy on something constructive, like using all that power to create world peace....
I'm not singling you out bro, just hitching a ride on your thread

You know I laugh every time I read posts like this. Is it odd for a person to want to get more out of what they paid for, especially knowing they can for $50-$100. Let me give you an example. You go out buy your self a new car. You find out that by adding a K&N Air Filter you will shave 1 second of the quarter mile and your top speed will increase by 30mph. For a mere..$100? Whould you do it? I know quite a few people who would. But why? The average speed limit is 50mph. Why do you need a car that goes 150? People sink thousands of dollars into cars to make them go faster, and perform better, for no other reason than...Yah you guessed it, bragging rights. The fact of the matter is, it's human nature to want more out of what you have, especially if you know its capable of doing it.

leop23

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
hmm....just a thought.. get the 5200+.... so you can help AMD in ur own little way to bring out a better processor. I mean, u know, stick with them in this dark (est?) hr. (no flame pls.) :wink:

gse1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Futureproofing, wtf who does taht?

People who want to ensure the life of their PC is as long as possible, that's who.

Granted, depending on how PC technology progresses, which can be highly unpredictable, sometimes its effectiveness is limited, but sometimes it's the difference between having to buy a whole new PC in 2 years time or upgrading your existing PC in 2 years time and buying a whole new PC in 4 years time.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
what about an x2 3800+ for $130.. still will be able to handle any of todays games, especially with that 8800! lol, i know this is far from the performance you were looking for, but it could save you some dough.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Futureproofing, wtf who does taht?

People who want to ensure the life of their PC is as long as possible, that's who.

Granted, depending on how PC technology progresses, which can be highly unpredictable, sometimes its effectiveness is limited, but sometimes it's the difference between having to buy a whole new PC in 2 years time or upgrading your existing PC in 2 years time and buying a whole new PC in 4 years time.

That was sarcasm my friend. =)

halcyon

Splendid
I just grabbed a historic old processor for my HT rig, an FX-55. Paired with nice memory its just plain fast. The Core/Xeons are nice but there's still some descent AMD deals out there.

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
As there is not much in it I would currently go for the C2D because of lower power condumption and better headroom for later oc'ing.

However the 65nm AMD chips should be reviewed in the next few weeks so I might wait to see how they fair before making a purchase.

Both chips are somewhat underpowered for that video card though!!!!!!!! :oops: