which webcam software for multitple cameras?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 3, 2004 2:41:21 AM

I want to set up multiple web-cameras to display all images on one web page
but I can't find any webcam software that will handle several cameras at
once. What I need is software that will give each seperate camera snapshot
it's own unique name eg, cam1 creates webcam1.jpg, cam2 creates webcam2,jpg,
cam3 creates webcam3.jpg etc. Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 3:23:52 AM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:41:21 -0000, "tg"
<tg@nospamevereverever.net> wrote:

>I want to set up multiple web-cameras to display all images on one web page
>but I can't find any webcam software that will handle several cameras at
>once. What I need is software that will give each seperate camera snapshot
>it's own unique name eg, cam1 creates webcam1.jpg, cam2 creates webcam2,jpg,
>cam3 creates webcam3.jpg etc. Thanks for any help.

Multiple webcams on a single computer can be tricky due many cams
using the same driver, which windows often doesn't like. The
first link below switches between a cam and video feeds using a
parallel port switcher. The second link is 3 cams connected to a
winnov capture card and using webcam32. The bottom link is
webcam2000 and a winnov capture card setup where you can switch
between the 3 cams connected to the winnov card.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher-demo.htm
http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/multiwc32.htm
http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc2000.htm
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 7:05:01 PM

Our CamPanel software is made for this.

http://www.trackercam.com/campanel

shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si Ballenger) wrote in message news:<41afb078.26866512@news.comporium.net>...
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:41:21 -0000, "tg"
> <tg@nospamevereverever.net> wrote:
>
> >I want to set up multiple web-cameras to display all images on one web page
> >but I can't find any webcam software that will handle several cameras at
> >once. What I need is software that will give each seperate camera snapshot
> >it's own unique name eg, cam1 creates webcam1.jpg, cam2 creates webcam2,jpg,
> >cam3 creates webcam3.jpg etc. Thanks for any help.
>
> Multiple webcams on a single computer can be tricky due many cams
> using the same driver, which windows often doesn't like. The
> first link below switches between a cam and video feeds using a
> parallel port switcher. The second link is 3 cams connected to a
> winnov capture card and using webcam32. The bottom link is
> webcam2000 and a winnov capture card setup where you can switch
> between the 3 cams connected to the winnov card.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher-demo.htm
> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/multiwc32.htm
> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc2000.htm
December 4, 2004 5:09:36 AM

"Eagletron" <announcement@eagletron.com> wrote in message
> Our CamPanel software is made for this.
>
> http://www.trackercam.com/campanel

thanks for your feedback, I tried the trial version but could not get it to
upload to my website. I've tried quite a few trial versions of webcam
software and was able to get them all to upload but somehow this program
won't do it. Also, the design of the interface is off-putting. Is there
really a need to blank out the whole screen with the program? Users don't
like having the start button and task bar taken away from them without
asking. Whoever designed this program thought they were being
innovative/arty but the result is nothing useful for the end user. I suppose
if I could get it to upload I may consider purchase but that interface
really puts me off.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 2:22:41 AM

Now that tg has brought it up, he hit the nail on the head...Cam Panel is an
excellent program once it is configured but it is not very intuitive. I had
to follow the help file all the way through with anything I tried to set up.
Yes, it does the job but in its own way. Many programs follow the "Windows"
approach and that is a great help for all us out here. Yours is almost the
only program I know that doesn't follow a similar protocol...and as far as
not being able to resize the widows...not very good. But as I said a basic
great program. I see these announcements from Eagletron after every post
looking for software or motion control and I have sort of gotten used to
them. I have tried cam panel and intend to purchase it because it does what
I want but the controls are "cludgy" and it is a screen hog...

Thanks, David Gerard

"tg" <tg@nospamevereverever.net> wrote in message

> "Eagletron" <announcement@eagletron.com> wrote in message
>> Our CamPanel software is made for this.
>>
>> http://www.trackercam.com/campanel
>
> thanks for your feedback, I tried the trial version but could not get it
> upload to my website. I've tried quite a few trial versions of webcam
> software and was able to get them all to upload but somehow this program
> won't do it. Also, the design of the interface is off-putting. Is there
> really a need to blank out the whole screen with the program? Users don't
> like having the start button and task bar taken away from them without
> asking. Whoever designed this program thought they were being
> innovative/arty but the result is nothing useful for the end user. I
> suppose
> if I could get it to upload I may consider purchase but that interface
> really puts me off.

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 5:21:03 PM

"David Gerard" <david@davidgerard.com> wrote in message
> Now that tg has brought it up, he hit the nail on the head...Cam Panel is
> an excellent program once it is configured but it is not very intuitive. I
> had to follow the help file all the way through with anything I tried to
> set up. Yes, it does the job but in its own way. Many programs follow the
> "Windows" approach and that is a great help for all us out here. Yours is
> almost the only program I know that doesn't follow a similar
> protocol...and as far as not being able to resize the widows...not very
> good. But as I said a basic great program. I see these announcements from
> Eagletron after every post looking for software or motion control and I
> have sort of gotten used to them. I have tried cam panel and intend to
> purchase it because it does what I want but the controls are "cludgy" and
> it is a screen hog...

at the end of the day those holding the dollars will vote with their feet,
and I went for WebcamXP. It does 5 cams at once and I've still got my
taskbar and start button. Campanel is a classic example of too much
subjective input with too little functionality. Sooner or later the guys at
http://www.trackercam.com/campanel will give in and drop their interface
design and give the user the start button and taskbar back. Make it sooner
guys and you'll sell more.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:53:04 AM

Thanks for your feedback.

The reason that CamPanel takes up the whole screen is that some
security professionals want it that way. But obviously this is not the
case for everyone so we have contacted our developers to request that
this feature be optional.

www.eagletron.com
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 3:51:53 PM

> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> The reason that CamPanel takes up the whole screen is that some
> security professionals want it that way. But obviously this is not the
> case for everyone so we have contacted our developers to request that
> this feature be optional.

that sounds even better than a standard-windows-only interface. Giving the
customer the choice of both worlds...
The more I think about it the more potential there is in this. If similar
interface choice could be integrated into more applications it would make
computers easier for beginners. I meet and coach a lot of beginners in my
work and the hardest thing for computer beginners is the complexity of the
standard windows interface, it overwhelms them. Who knows,
http://www.eagletron.com/ may be pioneering a new trend here.
!