hotbrick 401, RV082 or VIA + m0n0wall?

SpeedyPaul

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my Dlink DGL-4300 to something that can handle a few more connections. It seems like once I start hitting > 1k connections (BT of course) I can't get over ~5500Kbps which is < half my downstream rate.

So given that good numbers are impossible to find (come on Tim let's put some more routers in the P2P comparison tests and higher connection count :lol:) any suggestions on beefier firewall/routers? The HotBrick 401 VPN claims to handle 5k connections and 40Mbps, but I'm not sure if it'd do both at the same time. The RV082 seems like it could be a good choice, but I see no performance numbers on it at all other then an old article with the slower firmware rev.

I'm pretty sure a VIA C7 based solution would give me enough CPU/RAM capacity to handle things, but its a relatively expensive solution and not as compact as the above two (space is at a premium since this is going into a small structure wiring panel).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Aussie_Bear

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my Dlink DGL-4300 to something that can handle a few more connections. It seems like once I start hitting > 1k connections (BT of course) I can't get over ~5500Kbps which is < half my downstream rate.

So given that good numbers are impossible to find (come on Tim let's put some more routers in the P2P comparison tests and higher connection count :lol:) any suggestions on beefier firewall/routers? The HotBrick 401 VPN claims to handle 5k connections and 40Mbps, but I'm not sure if it'd do both at the same time. The RV082 seems like it could be a good choice, but I see no performance numbers on it at all other then an old article with the slower firmware rev.

I'm pretty sure a VIA C7 based solution would give me enough CPU/RAM capacity to handle things, but its a relatively expensive solution and not as compact as the above two (space is at a premium since this is going into a small structure wiring panel).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Its because retail routers have limited hardware resources, that's why they limit what you can do. (Otherwise, the router will CRASH and lock up!)

I know the RV082 has recently got a firmware update, which is supposed to improve performance on a huge scale, but before this update, I hear it can do 20Mbps throughput. (Its something much larger now).

You don't need a VIA C7 CPU, a VIA C3 1Ghz can easily do 80Mbps to 90Mbps with M0n0Wall. (so can a Pentium III 500Mhz).

In fact, on an old Pentium 166Mhz with 48MB RAM, using M0n0Wall, I have no trouble hitting 10Mbps on Cable (here in Australia).

For BitTorrent, my sister and I do over a 3000 connections with M0n0Wall (with VIA C3 box), and its fine. No performance drop. It hasn't crashed or froze in 3 years of continuous use! (Only time when I reboot is when I update to a new version of M0n0Wall OR if there's a blackout due to storm!)

Also consider a Soekris OR WRAP embedded solutions. (fanless and SMALL). I thought Mr Higgins (thiggins) had already reviewed these solutions before?

I think another one is RouterBoard...But I don't think this has been tested with M0n0Wall. (WRAP and Soekris have been thoroughly tested).

Since I started using such open-source solutions like M0n0wall, I've never looked back. (and that was over 6 yrs ago! Before that, I had terrible experience with a retail router, so I took matters into my own hands!)